NIT or 3-pt Competition?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Which is better for a basketball program, NIT Final Four, or Fred coaching the all-star game, McGee/Thomas in 3-pt contests?

Iowa in NIT Final Four gets some publicity which will help recruiting! but biggest benefit may be confidence going into next year.

ISU also benefits from publicity from the three events, with probably the same total number of people watching. Great pub go Fred as a Guru of shooting techniques.

i think it is a wash. Iowa is going to be good next year.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Why do we always find a need to compare ISU to the hawks? Its stuff like this that perpetuates the "little brother syndrome"

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Which is better for a basketball program, NIT Final Four, or Fred coaching the all-star game, McGee/Thomas in 3-pt contests?

Iowa in NIT Final Four gets some publicity which will help recruiting! but biggest benefit may be confidence going into next year.

ISU also benefits from publicity from the three events, with probably the same total number of people watching. Great pub go Fred as a Guru of shooting techniques.

Seriously?

The only thing being in the NIT final four means is that you didn't make the dance. A few more practices sure, but the exposure from a first round NCAA game far outweighs the NIT.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I can name 1 team in the NIT final four, and I wouldn't even know that if it wasn't talked about all the time on here.

That said, no one watches the 3 pt competition either.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Why do we always find a need to compare ISU to the hawks? Its stuff like this that perpetuates the "little brother syndrome"

Nothing to do with "little brother syndrome." I just happen to be a Cyclone stuck working for the Univ of Iowa. Just getting ready for next week's water cooler.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Wow. For the last three days the same "what's happening on HN" thread stuck around the forum front page, racking up about 300 responses (last time I checked).

Now this? Why can't we just agree our bball program has a bright future and Iowa's bball program has a bright future, and be done with it?

Some of you are way, way too obsessed with Iowa. A little thin skinned too.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012

I think everyone will agree Iowa State basketball has and will be getting a lot more publicity than Iowa basketball this postseason. Can we quit making pointless threads now?

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I think everyone will agree Iowa State basketball has and will be getting a lot more publicity than Iowa basketball this postseason. Can we quit making pointless threads now?

Unless you live in eastern Iowa, where the prevailing opinion seems to be the Hawkeyes are better because they're still playing, even if they didn't actually make the Big Dance. Heck, today's Cedar Rapids Gazette has an article "asking" whether winning the NIT is better than losing in the NCAA tournament.

But that's Hawk mentality. They'd be saying the same thing if they were moving up in the CIT, too.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
If you add the TV ratings for all of these events together, is it greater than the ratings for one of the NCAA play in games ?

In other words, I'm trying to point out these are all events to fill cable sports programming time and only mean something to the diehard fans of the teams or players involved.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Baylor is still in it. A final with Baylor and the Hoks would be interesting to watch. That probably won't happen but you never know. It is an uneducated guess, but I think the Hoks have a tougher semi-final than Baylor. Anything could happen.

Regardless, I am much happier being a Cyclone fan right now than I would be as a Hokky fan. I might watch that game though if I am really bored which I almost certainly will not be.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I'm still trying to figure out why we care about Iowa all of a sudden?
Z'OMG THEY'RE GONNA BE DA BEST EVAR NEXT YR!
UNDEFEATED! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The three national TV events ISU coaches, players and recruits are being featured on during the real Final Four will end up with like 50x the ratings of one NIT last four game. Not to mention ISU's very impressive real tournament games against premier programs UConn, Kentucky, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.

You can go on the Hawk message boards and see their fans talking about how their program is in better position. These are crazy people. So it's fun and amusing to laugh at the crazy people, but that's all it is, not a real discussion.