We are little bro
threads like this one tell me so
stop these threads now please

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why do we always find a need to compare ISU to the hawks? Its stuff like this that perpetuates the "little brother syndrome"

Its called a rivalry.

Any cyclone who buys into the existence of 'little brother syndrome' has been listening to the hawks too much.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Its called a rivalry.

Any cyclone who buys into the existence of 'little brother syndrome' has been listening to the hawks too much.
Except living in hawk country for 13 years I can tell you they don't measure up every achievement of theirs to our achievements.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The only times I think about Iowa are:

1) When we play them in Football
2) When we play them in Basketball
3) When I see a thread on here or CR about Iowa
4) When I see someone wearing Iowa gear

Other than that, they are pretty much irrelevant to me.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Its called a rivalry.

Notre Dame is USC's little brother. Ohio State is Michigan's little brother. Nebraska used to be Oklahoma's little brother in the 70s and 80s. Of course this is nonsense.

Iowa fans are claiming two NIT appearances are better than four great games against four premier programs in the NCAA tournament. We can mock that quite easily without being little bro. It doesn't mean we're little bro, it means we're better and not insane.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Why do we always find a need to compare ISU to the hawks? Its stuff like this that perpetuates the "little brother syndrome"

Not as much as people who insist on bringing it up all the time. LBS is an Iowa created myth, please stop perpetuating it. Have you seen how much Iowa talks about ISU on HN? It's what two BCS programs in a state do, they talk about how great their team is and how much the other team blows.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Some people are way to concerned about whether everything they do may be perceived as little brother or not.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Every night before I go to bed, I make a 2 column list. In the first column, I write things I said/thought/wrote during the day, that would make me seem like little brother. In the second column, I write the good things I did- like called others out when they were being little brother.

In this way, I am able to achieve a goal very important to me- not to be seen as little brother.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This is a weird question.

The 3 point contest is just a fun thing that allows one of our talented seniors to go to Atlanta and enjoy himself. There is nothing on the line other than pride. It means nothing in the scheme of things and gives McGee a chance to get his name out there and have a fun weekend on somebody else's dime.

The NIT is a consolation prize for mediocre major conference teams that didn't make the big dance.

The two situations are totally different.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Every night before I go to bed, I make a 2 column list. In the first column, I write things I said/thought/wrote during the day, that would make me seem like little brother. In the second column, I write the good things I did- like called others out when they were being little brother.

In this way, I am able to achieve a goal very important to me- not to be seen as little brother.
Or an easier solution is to just not be little brotherly in the first place, and realize that our success speaks for itself without comparing ourselves to Iowa in every facet of life.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Seriously?

The only thing being in the NIT final four means is that you didn't make the dance. A few more practices sure, but the exposure from a first round NCAA game far outweighs the NIT.

For a young program, going through the tourney experience for 5 or 6 games, nationally televised games at Madison with nothing opposite... But a first round NCAA game is still better? Did you watch any games this last week? Remember all that great ISU exposure from the announcers talking about our coach and players? Can't wait for the indepth discussion of ISU basketball during the upcoming Duke game!

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I think the days are over when we should sit around and compare ourselves to the Hawkeyes. Fred has made that more than clear by the way he recruits. I think a friendly rivalry is fine, but this obsession with comparisons is tiring. Fred's method of recruiting has more future than Fran's, and that shows the bankruptcy of comparisons. When I was a kid, I cheered for any Iowa team in my innocence. My dad was an ISU grad and was the same way. I went through a period when I was as vehement a Hawkeye hater as anyone. I don't think that makes sense anymore. Time to bury the hatchet.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'm okay with the OP's original question. My big problem is that the thread is wrongly placed. This should be in the In-State Rivals forum. Mods, please move!
Oh & btw, ask Stanford, Penn State or Nebraska just how great the NIT championship is - major BBall powerhouses on the national scene during the last 10 years without a doubt. :pbaffled:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Stanford won the NIT last year. What did that mean for this year? More NIT basketball.

That can go both ways though. Wichita State won the NIT back in 2011 and made the NCAA's as a 5 seed last season. Today they're playing to get to the Final Four.

We made the NCAA tournament back in 2005 after making it to MSG in the NIT back in 2004.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
Which is better for a basketball program, NIT Final Four, or Fred coaching the all-star game, McGee/Thomas in 3-pt contests?

Iowa in NIT Final Four gets some publicity which will help recruiting! but biggest benefit may be confidence going into next year.

ISU also benefits from publicity from the three events, with probably the same total number of people watching. Great pub go Fred as a Guru of shooting techniques.

i think it is a wash. Iowa is going to be good next year.

There is literally nothing about the NIT that is better than the real tournament. Zero things. Nothing. Everyone please stop asking about the NIT. It is not better than the real tournament PERIOD

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
Getting back to the original question, the answer has to be making to the NIT Final Four. That, after all, is the dream of most fans, coaches, and, especially, players. To distinguish it from that other tournament being held at the same time of year, they should probably name the NIT Final Four something like Fabulous Four or Phenomenal Four, or maybe even The Four That Came After the Other Sixty-Eight.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Put aside the 3-pt shooting contest, because it's irrelevant. Iowa could be the NIT champs and it still wouldn't compare to ISU being in the NCAA Tournament.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
What's really funny is our superiority complex over iowa this year swung on probably 1 game... We lose to OK and we're in the NIT. Iowa wins 1 more game and they are dancing.

Clearly we're the better team!!!!!