how many guys will leave if Mac is let go?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
this is one factor that always concerns me with a coaching change. That and how would it affect income commitments? The MBB team was hit pretty hard by defections and it will show this season, but G-Mac did a great job of Blitzkreg recruiting. Not sure if anyone can do that with FB.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Depends when he is let go and type of staff that is brought in how fast. I know Phillip Bates is still being eyed by Callahan. Probably most of the new recruiting class would be up for grabs depending on what offense and defense will be utilized with next coaching staff. We have so many holes to fill, I think most current roster players would stay.

Frankly, I think McC could run more offensive sets, more deception like moving the tight ends around, more unusual blitzing packages. In other words, the players are talented enough but wee just do not fully utilize what we have. If we cannot block oline, we need to make bigger adjustments. Like, why does Bret run to the right 90% of tyim,e. Tell him wjhen he is flushed, roll to ,left no matter what so we can get some more receivers in the area. Look the defensive players off. Move your dline rushers around. Too Vanilla, Too POredictable. Those days are gone in college and in the pros. Riught nowe the pros plan and script 35 pass plays for the game. Heck, we are into the computer age and we need to go against our tendancies like the better coached teams do. If we need a Brainiac, McC shgould have hired one by now. I do not see a Brainiac on the staff or we have not turned that person lose.

If you do not change, you stand to be changed by others. If you want $1.1M, you change before others change you.

Since Colorado and KSU just hired new coaches, Franchione A&M hads only one lost, Baylor is better, Okie State has athletes, Gary Pinkel Tigers are doing great, and Mamouth Kansan Mangino was just extended years after last bowl and avoided fallout from the classroom cheating, the ONLY MAN in the hot seat in Big 12 is only MAC. He will be a topic even if he is kept. Next year, unless he makes changes in staff and approach to the game, he will continue to be a problem. We will hear Mac demise talk until we win the North or make it to a major bowl.

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Minimal-you won't see many defections. You have had numerous kids leave the program under Mac already. Need to focus on way so many left previously than fear how many would leave with a coaching change.. Right, now most kids have a shot at playing next year based on the empty cupboard Mac has.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't think we'd see many defections, but who knows.

I'd be shocked to see any of the current players transfer. Recruits, who knows. I am concerned about Bates.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Minimal-you won't see many defections. You have had numerous kids leave the program under Mac already. Need to focus on way so many left previously than fear how many would leave with a coaching change.. Right, now most kids have a shot at playing next year based on the empty cupboard Mac has.
It seems like most kids who left have had either academic or disciplinary problems. I suppose that could be due to recruiting some higher risk players, or it could be due to holding people accountable for what they do. I'm not convinced that the cupboard will be bare next year....offensive line maybe, and a few spots here and there. I would think the key question would be with this year's recruiting class.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So we will lose 1-2 players but gain about 10K fans per game. Do the math.

dccyclone25

Oct 29, 2006
Ames
Well if we keep playing like this, we may lose Bates anyways. And I don't think losing him would be justification to keep Mac around anyways.

clone33

Apr 13, 2006
SE Iowa
www.espn.go.com
Cotton's son probably wont come if his father is fired. Obviously. Bates may or may not come regardless of whether a coaching change is made. We have Arnaud, who is an ames native, therefore, probably wouldnt leave. I think we'll be fine.

dccyclone25

Oct 29, 2006
Ames
Cotton's son probably wont come if his father is fired. Obviously. Bates may or may not come regardless of whether a coaching change is made. We have Arnaud, who is an ames native, therefore, probably wouldnt leave. I think we'll be fine.

Is Cotton's son heavily recruited?

clone33

Apr 13, 2006
SE Iowa
www.espn.go.com
Is Cotton's son heavily recruited?

There wasnt any recruiting. He is a 2008 prospect and his father is the OC. Pretty easy choice.:wink0st: But no, I dont believe he would be heavily recruited by other D-1 teams. But I have never seen him play or anything so take it for what its worth.

Last edited:

Cyclone_Power

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis
Few to None....I don't think any of our players are too high on Mac's coaching ability. Even most of them realize what a vanilla gameplan we run.