Zone defenese

siklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 11, 2010
Minneapolis
Zone defense

I've never been a big fan of teams playing zone. Always grown up thinking zones are for women and Syracuse. Though after seeing Fred go to it the past couple games. I think it could be a useful tool down the stretch. It appears to be a good way to protect the big men and get out in transition. I don't want them to start playing 40 minutes but mix it in when things get stagnant.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Could be useful. I guess maybe these players are just better suited for some zone?? With that said, we lost to Texas and beat a really bad TCU team, so it's hard to say if it will help or not.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I like that we are seeing more of it. I like that it looks like we are getting better with it. I really liked the Box and 1 we were running at UT. We have a few liabilities on defense. Zone helps cover that. We don't have a great post defense player. Zone can help that.

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Even against decent 3 point shooting teams I think we could get away with it by having Clyburn and Babb's length on the wings.

I would much rather have Babb playing man-to-man on the other team's best scorer. Maybe try a Box & One if we try zone against KU/OSU/OU.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I like zone or box and one every once in a while, but I'm not a huge zone fan when teams do it for full games. There was a comment by OP about us using it and getting stagnant. IMO, this is a common misconception about zone defense. When played well, it is by no means a lazy man's defense, and therefore shouldn't cause stagnation whatsoever.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Well Fred just said in the post game we will continue the zone and maybe even play more. Also said they have a couple other defenses they have been working on that we haven't seen yet.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Giving up offensive rebounds has been a liability this year. The zone is okay as long as this problem doesn't get worse because of it. In the zone everyone has to be uber aware of finding a guy in their zone to block out when the shot goes up.

siklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 11, 2010
Minneapolis
I like zone or box and one every once in a while, but I'm not a huge zone fan when teams do it for full games. There was a comment by OP about us using it and getting stagnant. IMO, this is a common misconception about zone defense. When played well, it is by no means a lazy man's defense, and therefore shouldn't cause stagnation whatsoever.

To clarify, I was referencing the moments that our offense appears to go stagnant, not defense. I like the fast break opportunities the zone or box and 1 create on missed shots. It tends to help pick up the pace when other teams are trying to slow it down. We obviously prefer a faster pace.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I like the zone as a changeup defense. I do not however, like McGee on the wing. I think he should be up top with Lucious and Babb should be low. But I trust Fred and there is a reason I am not the coach.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
To clarify, I was referencing the moments that our offense appears to go stagnant, not defense. I like the fast break opportunities the zone or box and 1 create on missed shots. It tends to help pick up the pace when other teams are trying to slow it down. We obviously prefer a faster pace.

My apologies. That makes sense.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I love that we've shown 4 different defensive looks over the last 2 games, and the ability to change it up possession to possession. Great way to keep teams on their heels.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It only works when we face a team that shoots as poor from 3 as TCU does.

Agreed. It also helped that TCU doesn't send many guys to the offensive boards. You can get shot out of zone, but you can also get rebounded out of zone.

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Agreed. It also helped that TCU doesn't send many guys to the offensive boards. You can get shot out of zone, but you can also get rebounded out of zone.

Honestly, I'm much more worried of getting shot out of a zone than rebounded. Especially since we are going to be facing a bunch of teams the rest of the way out with great shooters. To me, the only team that doesn't is West Virginia.

Just in the general defensive scheme with this thread, I would like to see us play a bit more press. We have athletic guys at every position that could play havoc with inbounding the ball and maybe forcing a few more turnovers. I'm not saying 40 Minutes of Hell like Mizzou used to do, but on made baskets to force our tempo would be awesome.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Honestly, I'm much more worried of getting shot out of a zone than rebounded. Especially since we are going to be facing a bunch of teams the rest of the way out with great shooters. To me, the only team that doesn't is West Virginia.

Just in the general defensive scheme with this thread, I would like to see us play a bit more press. We have athletic guys at every position that could play havoc with inbounding the ball and maybe forcing a few more turnovers. I'm not saying 40 Minutes of Hell like Mizzou used to do, but on made baskets to force our tempo would be awesome.

We played a little bit of press in the 2nd half today. I'd like to see more of it.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I remember the WM era when he would play zone for long stretches, sometimes entire games. Would drive me nuts. I recall one specific game I went to at Hilton against A&M when they ended up shooting something crazy like 75% from the floor in the second half because our guys would just slap at the ball as A&M's players would drive by them, instead of, you know, using their feet to stay in front of them and block the path to the hoop.

Zone is OK to use strategically to throw the other team off, but should never be used as a long term defensive plan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron