disabled parking at Hilton question

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Sorry for posting this in the men's basketball forum, i wasn't quite sure where to post.

My wife has a broken foot right now and has a boot and crutches and can't walk from the parking lot up to Hilton very well at all. I called the office and they said i can drop her off before the game no problem, but I just realized that getting her back to the car will be the tough part.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get my car back up by Hilton to pick her up after the game. The only thing we can think of is to just have her wait for me by the steps while i try to get through traffic to pic her up which could take 45 mins to and hour. The only other option i can think of is for me to just leave with like 5-10 mins left and pull up when there's no traffic.

I plan on calling the ticket office in the morning but any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
She can walk to where you are parked... Or be patient and drive up to the drop off point just like before the game.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
wow thanks, you pretty much just suggest exactly what i had mentioned already. nice work.

And you are surprised by this? She has a short term injury. Man up and drive the car to the door. Will it take you more time sure, your other option is carrying her to the car.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
And you are surprised by this? She has a short term injury. Man up and drive the car to the door. Will it take you more time sure, your other option is carrying her to the car.

it has nothing to do with me "maning up." More about how uncomfortable it'll be for her to stand and wait for me for possible 30+ mins while I'm trying to get the car up to the front door. I have no problem with waiting longer to get out, Just trying to make it as convenient for my wife as i can.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
it has nothing to do with me "maning up." More about how uncomfortable it'll be for her to stand and wait for me for possible 30+ mins while I'm trying to get the car up to the front door. I have no problem with waiting longer to get out, Just trying to make it as convenient for my wife as i can.

Thats fine, but plan on her waiting for you to pick her up at the door. They might be able to give her a seat until you get the car there but your wife is no more special than mine. Unless you donate big bucks they won't care. Deal with it and move on.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Thats fine, but plan on her waiting for you to pick her up at the door. They might be able to give her a seat until you get the car there but your wife is no more special than mine. Unless you donate big bucks they won't care. Deal with it and move on.
Daaaaaaamn, this dude's mad.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
There are chairs at the bottom floor near the elevator. She will be fine waiting in a chair... Just be patient with the traffic.... You may have to circle Hilton on Lincoln Way and come in from the east again....

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
isubeatle - If she can walk from the lot right across from the tunnel, you will probably be able to park in the handicap section. You don't really need a handicap sign. Just pull up to the parking attendant on the street, and let him/her know your situation. Show the crutches. They will likely direct you into the handicap lot. I know this because my father-in-law works parking for games.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Good luck with getting her in there safely. Lots were a mess against Texas. They directed us to the JTS lot and of course as we were climbing over snow banks to get to Hilton, they then opened up the closer lot to people without permits and we had to dodge everyone driving quickly in for the best spot. If nothing else, get her there early and drop her off.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
A few days after hip surgery I tried walking from the furthest lot into Hilton. Crutches + ice = pain in the ***.

Call your physician and get temporary handicap parking.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
There are doors at Lower West entrance. She can sit on a chair out there if she asks an event staff member. Just drive your car up there and leave from there. I suggest parking in B3 or B4 to make it a quick exit for you.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do your drop off and pick up at the West entrance (marked for handicap access). You will have access to the elevator and chairs while she waits. Plus, you won't have to deal with the huge crowd at the South entrance. Be nice to the parking guys and they will usually accommodate reasonable requests.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There are doors at Lower West entrance. She can sit on a chair out there if she asks an event staff member. Just drive your car up there and leave from there. I suggest parking in B3 or B4 to make it a quick exit for you.

Yeah, this. Didn't see it before I posted.