Hilton Coliseum vs Allen Fieldhouse

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Just curious how some of you who have been to both compare them. Specifically noise level and capacity.

Watching the big Monday intro made me curious. I understand they have a ton of tradition, but is it truly head and shoulders above most other atmospheres.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Their intro and pregame atmosphere look better than ISU's. The "in game" atmosphere looks like a push.
But, that is something that ISU really needs to work on for both football and basketball, is getting more excitement and more of an energy climax just before Tip and kickoff.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We're a top 20 environment. They're a top 2-3ish.

About 2500 more people at the Phog. The noise (without students) is normally just below a peak at Hilton.
And they are excellent at reminding you of their tradition.
The Phog is a better homecourt, but that doesn't mean Hilton isn't outstanding.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Their intro and pregame atmosphere look better than ISU's. The "in game" atmosphere looks like a push.
But, that is something that ISU really needs to work on for both football and basketball, is getting more excitement and more of an energy climax just before Tip and kickoff.

I was thinking this.

Their student section looked like our student section for football. I saw flashes of that out of CA last year, but there's still too many kids that just like acting goofy in front of cameras for my taste. Their students tonight looked angry and out for blood. No silly props, no kindegarten-for-adults feel. That used to be our student section. We're getting closer, but we need more of that. We're doing a great job with our students being smart-*****, but we need a little more anger.

Their blue bloods look to be about as intense as ours.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Their pregame stuff is much better. Our actual building is better- Allen fieldhouse looks like a HS arena. We need some spotlights and discoballs for player entrances like the wolves used to do. That was my favorite part as a kid.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I was thinking this.

Their student section looked like our student section for football. I saw flashes of that out of CA last year, but there's still too many kids that just like acting goofy in front of cameras for my taste. Their students tonight looked angry and out for blood. No silly props, no kindegarten-for-adults feel. That used to be our student section. We're getting closer, but we need more of that. We're doing a great job with our students being smart-*****, but we need a little more anger.

This is my opinion as well. That student section needs to be hostile.

D

DistrictCyclone

The noise was better in Hilton, although the game I saw in Lawrence was against us during the height (or depth) of the McDoormat years, so it's not really comparable. The tradition stuff is pretty cool, like the newspaper reading/tearing up and the chant. Allen field house the building is also pretty damned cool.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Their pregame stuff is much better. Our actual building is better- Allen fieldhouse looks like a HS arena. We need some spotlights and discoballs for player entrances like the wolves used to do. That was my favorite part as a kid.

Its too bad we cant kill our lights for something like that

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Part of their intensity is simply the expectation to win. Not just games, but championships.

That video they played right before their team took the floor for our game summed it up: "Expectations rise now. Conference play starts tonight."

They're good. They've been good. They know it, and they expect it.
We like being good. We like that we've had good years. We like winning, but we still don't fully expect it as fans.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
AF is a glorified high school gym so it is probably louder. It has history and KU is the definition of a basketball school. Oh, and they win a lot.

Hilton is a top-notch venue and I prefer the feel of the arena (balcony, ribbon, scoreboard) to AF. We have a great home crowd and with more winning, I'd put it up against any atmosphere in the country.

Until then, you have to give the KU faithful credit and the overall edge to AF.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I haven't been to Allen since 2000 so not sure what they've done to it if anything, but it does feel like you're walking into a junior high or high school gym. Inside, you sit on wooden benches and the seat numbers are close. God forbid you get sandwiched between a couple of fatties. I remember pre-game being cool with this little warm-up thing their players did that got the crowd going. I wouldn't say it's any louder than Hilton when Hilton is rocking. In fact, the loudest games I've ever been to were at Hilton. But Hilton has slipped, unfortunately. Oh yeah, then there's the Rock Chalk Jayhalk KU chant at the end if they're beating you.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

The thing about places like KU and Duke is their fans especially there students are maniacs the entire game. Our student section is good but it could get better and louder.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Both are tame compared to the European basketball arenas per the video that was on here a couple mos ago.

Reactions: legi

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Its too bad we cant kill our lights for something like that

Why can't we? Pitch black except for discoball specks then spotlights on the players. If Target Center could have the lights fully on within 10 seconds afterwards why can't Hilton? Maybe have a giant punching Cy start flashing and swirling on the court too. No... a tiny tornado graphic start spinning and midcourt then grow bigger until it encompasses all the seats up to the rafters. Add in noise and it would be best entrance in all of college basketball.

Hmm...how can I get a job there ?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was thinking this.

Amen. Student sections prior to CA were 10 times better and louder.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Why can't we? Pitch black except for discoball specks then spotlights on the players. If Target Center could have the lights on within 10 seconds afterwards why can't Hilton? Maybe have a giant punching Cy start flashing and swirling on the court too. Oh... a tiny tornado start spinning and midcourt then grow bigger until it encompasses all the seats up to the rafters.

The lights we have take forever to come back on.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The thing about places like KU and Duke is their fans especially there students are maniacs the entire game. Our student section is good but it could get better and louder.

Duke actually couldn't fill their student section last year because they have suck a low number of students, combined with the fact that Duke was so good they just expected to win and when wins didn't come 99% of the time they didn't show.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Oh yeah, then there's the Rock Chalk Jayhalk KU chant at the end if they're beating you.

I'm not big on leaving games early, winning or losing, but if I was in there for the "rock chalk" I'd have to leave. I have to change the channel when watching the end of a KU win. Absolutely hate that chant.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Why can't we? Pitch black except for discoball specks then spotlights on the players. If Target Center could have the lights fully on within 10 seconds afterwards why can't Hilton? Maybe have a giant punching Cy start flashing and swirling on the court too. No... a tiny tornado graphic start spinning and midcourt then grow bigger until it encompasses all the seats up to the rafters. Add in noise and it would be best entrance in all of college basketball.

We can't turn the lights on because of the type of lights Hilton has. Although you would think we could design a shutter system and install a couple spotlights so that we could at least have a decent entrance. It would really improve the pre game atmosphere.

Also, regarding the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" monk type chant, I hate it as well, but it is pretty much without a doubt the coolest chant in American sports IMO. No other chant is as distinguishable and impossible to cover up as it is.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron