Most Disappointing Athletic Fail

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Banned from intramurals my Freshman year, during flag football, used my hands while blocking as an o lineman. Defense bum rushed me , so I picked the kid off the ground and tossed him.

Then I got tossed.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
This one wasnt mine, but it was a friend of mine. We were at a track meet at Coe, and he was running the mile. I was waiting for the 2X200, so I was watching and cheering him on. I watched him go around the first couple laps, then I never saw him again. After I was done with my race, I went back to camp and asked him what had happened. He told me he ran off of the track to go to the bathroom because he had the *****. Im pretty sure coach didnt realize it at the time either.
We never let him live that down.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I went to the state track meet in the half mile. I had been battling some sort of respiratory infection for quite a while - it would stick with me for months after state as well. I missed our conference meet because of it. It was so bad that I ended up with a cough drop in my mouth at the starting line so I wouldn't be hacking throughout the race.

I woke up the morning of my race to a huge picture on the front page of the Rag sports section of the race favorite winning his previous day's race in a big way. Just before the race my coach tells me that despite me alway having been a front runner who runs his own race to back off on the first lap and just stick with the field. Stupidly, I did just that and faded as usual on the second lap but this time without a big lead to rely on. I still can't believe he told me to totally change the way I race in the most important race of my life without at least trying it in practice first. Eight guys passed me on the home stretch. Despite qualifying third I finished ninth.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I was good at tracking down balls in left field.... full sprint to cover this shot... my left center fielder is yelling... you're good. You're good. Just as the ball was entering my glove I blacked out from running into the fence at full speed. I woke up with my knees on down under the fence. Crcyclone06 can verify. F'ng hurt.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Big Bend golf tournament in Maquoketa. I was not our best golfer (by far) but was on varsity. The hole I started on, there was a appx 10 foot wide cement drainage culvert thing about 10 yards in front of the tee. Put my first four balls off the tee into that sucker, they would ricochet around in there like a ***********. A couple came out but ended up OB or unplayable. Finally the last one kicked out forwards. I think I took a 13 or 16 on that hole. Came back and par the next hole. Coach gave me an award (a plaque I still have) for keeping my calm and not letting it affect my overall game. Little did he know that if the Beckman coach had not been there watching, I would have come unglued and probably threw my driver into orbit.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I was good at tracking down balls in left field.... full sprint to cover this shot... my left center fielder is yelling... you're good. You're good. Just as the ball was entering my glove I blacked out from running into the fence at full speed. I woke up with my knees on down under the fence. Crcyclone06 can verify. F'ng hurt.

I did this in practice once. Except it was a chain-link fence that went up to about the stomach. Flipped over it. Felt like a bag of smashed ******** for a couple days afterwards.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
my uncle headhunts me because I'm the biggest of my cousins. He played linebacker in highschool and was an all-city selection in chicago. He has not lost his ability to wallop.
I had one of the most violent dads ever. We used to play basketball out in a machine shed, and it was rare that he wouldn't knock one of us down, we came to expect it. His elbows seemed to be attracted to our noses. He absolutely didn't believe in touch football. He was actually a very good athlete but I am not sure that we weren't all a bit gun shy of sports by the time we got to high school and being subjected to his violence.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
My freshman year we were running a blocking drill, I was fairly good sized, but there was this huge sophomore who I thought was kind of soft, and so I lowered and hit him as hard as I could. He wasn't soft, and it infuriated him, he knocked me down, and somehow stomped on my ankle and it broke.

The coach we had that year hated me. Therefore when I was laying down whimpering, he yells at me in disgust to get up and walk it off. I look up at him thinking I should try to reason with him, but his face told me that it would only make him hate me more. So I get up and try to put weight on my ankle fall back down, get up again and hop to the locker room on one foot without asking for permission. Later they realize I can't be in trouble for leaving practice because I really did have a broken ankle.

The coach even hated me more after that. Later this coach was fired when he ran girl's basketball JV players sick. I think I heard one of them even fainted. One of the happiest days of my life was when that coach was gone.

Last edited:

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

hahahahahahahahahahahahah!! I remember. You're good, you're good. BAM!! Oh ****!! By the way everyone, I played 3rd base at the time, not left center.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I was playing fall ball in the mid-90's at Ellis Park. Sleet and snow and a perfect night for softball. I hit a double, but broke my foot after stepping on 1st base. I hobbled back to the dugout. My girlfriend, now wife, was watching from the car. She came out and drug my ball bag over to me and dropped it on the foot I just broke. **** I was ******!!

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Almost lost my pinky finger in football practice freshman year. I was playing scout team defense and tried to tackle the varsity fullback. He was wearing a visor and somehow my finger got caught between the visor and facemask during the tackle. I didn't realize anything had happened until my coach told me to go wash the blood off my arm. I then noticed my finger kind of hanging by the skin and covered in blood. He did, however, end up tripping over me after he ran me over so I did actually tackle him.:rolleyes:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My only attempt at golf, I shot a 92 -- over 9 holes. Granted, I had a few drinks but I don't remember being intoxicated. The only "drive" that got airborne, I shanked into an adjoining cemetery.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Little league baseball. Coach decided to put me in at pitcher. I walked the entire lineup...twice in one inning and I didn't even throw strike.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
playing 3rd base my freshman year. some kid hit a screaming line drive right at me. would have made the easy short hop play but the ball took a crummy one hop right into my right nose/eye. I felt all woozy, started walking my left to pick up the ball, but proceeded to fall on my face knocked out. I came to a few seconds later with blood all over my jersey and such. I looked up at my friends standing all around me and just started laughing hysterically. Which they did the same. I got to sit 15 minutes in the emergency room lounge while everyone stared at me and i told them what happened (no hot chicks :sad:). I had a concussion and a monster black eye for team pictures 2 days later

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I was playing fall ball in the mid-90's at Ellis Park. Sleet and snow and a perfect night for softball. I hit a double, but broke my foot after stepping on 1st base. I hobbled back to the dugout. My girlfriend, now wife, was watching from the car. She came out and drug my ball bag over to me and dropped it on the foot I just broke. **** I was ******!!

:spinny: sorry, i laughed at that phrase, must be the end of the semester

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
A bottle of cologne broke in my bag in high school, and that bag had my football jersey in it. I didn't realize this had happened until right before warm ups when I went to put it on, so I obviously didn't have time to wash it.

My teammates called me Giorgio (Armani) for the next couple weeks.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Broke my wrist during 8th basketball and would still practice with a cast on. One drill was to shoot 10 free throws and we had to run a killer for every one we missed. I went 2 for 10 and had to run 8 killers after shooting with my opposite hand. I plead my case to the coach and he said well you shouldn't have shot the free throws then.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Had countless technical's through my years of playing basketball (youth tournaments through high school) and developed kind of a bad reputation with one ref in particular (if you're from northwest Iowa, think the short fat and black ref. I wont name names.) Anyway, by my junior year I had my temper under control and was actually the voice of reason between officials and teammates. BUT, we happened to have this ref for one particular game that season.
So, the game was close, if not tied late in the game, and an apposing player and I come down with the rebound and it results in a jump-ball. The kid took the ball and shoved me in the chest with it. I simply looked up at him and a ref stopped the game and came over and talked to us. He said something along the lines of "we've played a great game don't ruin it now, you guys good?" we each said yes, and the next thing I know the partner of the ref that just talked to us (yes, the short fat black ref) ran over to the table and called ME for a technical. The crowd went nuts, coach asked him what it was for, and he said I "looked at the opposing player"...
The team went on to sink both free throws, get the ball back and score on that possession resulting in a 4 point loss for my team.

Oh the memories of going home after a game in which you received a technical foul. Especially when your father, the coach, is sitting there waiting for you haha

May 20, 2010
Des Moines
7th Grade Basketball. Jump ball in the opponents end of the court. (Obviously this happened a long time ago since we actually had jump balls when there was a tie ball.) The tip comes to me, I turn around and score 2 points ... for the other team. All my teammates leave me and the other team comes over and consoles me as I begin to cry. 35 years later I still hear about it. I guess that's what class reunions are for ... reliving all those great moments. Oh yeah, we lost by 2. I kid, I kid... 32-28 good guys.