Most Disappointing Athletic Fail

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Had countless technical's through my years of playing basketball (youth tournaments through high school) and developed kind of a bad reputation with one ref in particular (if you're from northwest Iowa, think the short fat and black ref. I wont name names.) Anyway, by my junior year I had my temper under control and was actually the voice of reason between officials and teammates. BUT, we happened to have this ref for one particular game that season.
So, the game was close, if not tied late in the game, and an apposing player and I come down with the rebound and it results in a jump-ball. The kid took the ball and shoved me in the chest with it. I simply looked up at him and a ref stopped the game and came over and talked to us. He said something along the lines of "we've played a great game don't ruin it now, you guys good?" we each said yes, and the next thing I know the partner of the ref that just talked to us (yes, the short fat black ref) ran over to the table and called ME for a technical. The crowd went nuts, coach asked him what it was for, and he said I "looked at the opposing player"...
The team went on to sink both free throws, get the ball back and score on that possession resulting in a 4 point loss for my team.

Oh the memories of going home after a game in which you received a technical foul. Especially when your father, the coach, is sitting there waiting for you haha

I had countless squabbles with refs but somehow never received at technical haha.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I had countless squabbles with refs but somehow never received at technical haha.

Most of them were stupid ones on my part (like slamming the ball down) that depending on the ref might or might not be a technical. Mine just always happened to be haha

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Most of them were stupid ones on my part (like slamming the ball down) that depending on the ref might or might not be a technical. Mine just always happened to be haha

Ah I see haha that'll usually do it. Mine were mostly disagreeing with a call and getting in the faces of the refs

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
A little late to the party here. But I can sympathize with the track stories.

I was not the quickest runner by any means so I did the mile and in high school two mile. I know that in the two mile I was lapped in several meets. I was probably close to getting lapped in the mile at times.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I airballed a layup once in a game my senior year. I was running as hard as I could down the middle of the lane and someone got me the ball. As I went up all I could think about was that I was going too fast and was going to brick the ball badly. I overcompensated on a beautiful finger roll and came up 6 inches short on a 1 foot shot.

I also posted up once and missed a bounce pass that caught me in the nuts. I don't think people really noticed. I got fouled on the play and was in some major pain. I called for a sub and bricked the first free throw badly. I never wanted to hit a free throw as bad as the second one so I could limp to the bench. Luckily it went in.

I got sick during a basketball game too. As soon as the tip went up my stomach went nuts. I came out of the game right away and headed to the locker room to puke my guts out. The athletic director came in to check on me and I was sitting on the can. He then went out to the crowd and shouted to everyone "Does anyone have any diarrhea medicine?" even though I was only sitting because I was dizzy and didn't want to pass out and fall.

My junior high football team had an offense line with a average weight of about 50lbs. I once got sacked on a full back dive.

I got punched in an Ames City League game. The guy was a real jerk and it was a real physical game. At one point the guy said "you want me to just jack you?" I'm kind of a smart *** so I of course said "sure go ahead". He punched me but it was only a glancing blow. He got tossed but refused to leave and they had to call the cops. The other team was Okoboji Bar and Grill and out of principal I never ate there again.

Beyond that basically my entire track career.