Most Disappointing Athletic Fail

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I have a few that come to mind:

1) 7th grade basketball. My teammate and I go up for a rebound together. He mistimed his jump and I did not. As he was coming down, I was going up and my nails gouged skin right off of his arm. It was still underneath my nails and freaks me out to this day.

2) High school football. I was a strapping young 5' 100 lbs with a 10lb backpack and LOVED getting hit. So during tackling drills I always wanted to go against our 200+ guys. Well I went for the hips. He tried to high step out of the way and his knee came up/across my face and knocked me the **** out.

3) Another football scrimmage. I played DB and sweeping around the TE on a run stop. I took a block in the back and was knocked down. Well the large RB came right to me, stepped on my hand and made his pivot. He cleats fit perfectly between my finger joints and managed to dislocate my four fingers in one move.

4) This was 8th grade football. I was playing OLB and again rushing to stop a run play. I couldn't get a solid hit on the guy so I leaped to just try to grab him and slow him down. I did get a good grab...of his pants and proceeded to hold on for dear life. He drug me for 5-10 yards before his pants eventually fell to his ankles and he couldn't move anymore. I don't know what took my teammates so damn long!!

...it's no wonder my parents didn't want me to play anymore :)

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
My HS track coach decided I should run the 300 hurdles since I have long legs. My 400m speed was horrible. My jumping is even worse. I survived the race until the 7th or 8th flight (whichever is basically at the 50-yard line in the home stretch), when I clipped the hurdle and ate it. Sliding on cinders is a *****.

Another cinders-sliding story...during track practice a buddy and I were running a 200m sprint, starting on the back straight (end of turn 2). We're pretty even going into turn 3 and then he starts to pull ahead. As he gets ahead and moves to the inside I slide out in hopes of getting around him. In the process my foot kicked his, causing his toes to get stuck behind his knee since we were both moving sideways in opposite directions. He goes down hard and slides for a full 10 feet on cinders. His yellow shirt was totally black, except for a little spot on his belly button, and arms/legs were skinned up pretty good. The skidmark on the track was impressive, too, and there was a nice pile of cinders where he finally came to a stop.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
My senior year we went over to Missouri (lived in SE Iowa) for a cross country meet. It was a course through a lot of timber and fields and pretty winding, so they had the Gator out leading us through. I am out in front by a decent amount following the Gator and as I come out of the timber to the finish there isn't anybody in sight behind me because it's so winding.

As I'm nearing the tape, I find it odd that no fans at all (including my parents) are cheering. Normally at cross country meets it is etiquette to cheer for runners from all teams/runners as they finish, so this is pretty unusual. I break the tape, and still nothing.

I finally get over to my coach and ask what's going on and he said that they had radio-ed up that I had cut the course and was disqualified. I was dumbfounded since I had been with the Gator the whole time, and couldn't figure out what they were talking about. Finally the guy that was spotting the corner that had "disqualified" me, comes walking out of the timber after the last person had finished. He goes to the spotter and points out a kid on another team that had cut the course and said it wasn't me.

They apologized, but the cheers during the medal ceremony couldn't quite erase the silence of my own parents as I finished the race :sad:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Since he hasn't posted yet in this thread, I will go ahead and tell KFitzys most disappointing moment.

A little background info:

Senior year he led the team in points, rebounds, and steals. He had no stars on rivals, but that's because he told Yahoo! that starz don't matter. Otherwise, he would've been a top 50 recruit. UNC, Duke, Kansas, Drake, UNI, Nebraska, and Iowa State are all in attendance to watch Fitzy lead the team to state.

So the team is ranked #2 in state. Undefeated. Playing the #7 team in the substate finals.

They lose 58-12.

The reason? Fitzy decided just to shoot trick shots the entire game.

He was the best glasses-wearing recruit in the entire nation. KFitzy Abdul-Jabbar.

isume6

May 22, 2011
OKC
Not in a competition, but during my junior year of cross country, I had to sit out a few practices with an asthma attack. (I know, a runner with asthma, make sense, right??) First practice back was repeat miles. I was told by my doctor to not rush back into things, so I told coach I couldn't run with the varsity (I think it was something like 3 @ 5:15 to 5:30 with a 5 min rest in between). My coach, being the kind hearted soul he was, told me to go run with the girls team :) I was cruising through the first mile well in front of them, until the last 200 meters this little freshman that was on the girls varisty team sprints past me. I kicked it like hell to beat her to the line, but man did I hear about that the rest of the year.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
Freshman year: Bit on a reverse, then changed direction running back across the field with my eyes in the back field. You know what happens next, got absolutely leveled. The most disappointing part of the play was that the dude from the other team got me and one of my teammates with block. Just remembered hitting the ground and looking over at my teammate and wondering why he smoked me. At the same time, he's yelling at me, "Why the **** did you run me over". I look up and see the guy from the other team standing over us yelling and flexing (going full meathead).

Got even, beat them my senior year on their homecoming, played almost the whole second half with a broken thumb on my throwing hand. Needless to say, we didn't throw a pass in the second half and still won.

D

DistrictCyclone

He was the best glasses-wearing recruit in the entire nation. KFitzy Abdul-Jabbar.

He was just KFitzy Alcindor back then. Pre-conversion.

I'm surprised nobody has a story about running the football to the opposite endzone. That seems like the classic sports fail.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Substate finals in basketball my senior year against DM East. I put up a three on the first possession that I air balled long by a good foot. Didn't really feel like shooting the rest of the game.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
got a technical for laughing at a bad call. The refs at that place are known to throw games.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
He was just KFitzy Alcindor back then. Pre-conversion.

I'm surprised nobody has a story about running the football to the opposite endzone. That seems like the classic sports fail.

I do have a wrong basket story.

In 8th grade at a post season weekend tournament we were blowing out a team at half time. We got the ball to start the second half and my buddy dribbled to the wrong hoop and missed a shot. I got the rebound and put up another shot and missed it, he got the rebound put it back up and missed it, I got the rebound put it back up and missed it again. Finally after our coach screaming at us we realized what we were doing and then threw it to half court to another guy who went uncontested for a layup. The funny part was the other team didn't realize what was happening either and was guarding us the entire time.

So we didn't score a point for the other team but we did miss a total of four chip shots at the wrong end.

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
This one might be tough to beat. Lost a 8th grade bball game 70-0. I was 0-2 from the field, and both shots got stuffed right back into my face. Ya, I was about 5'3". We had one player miss 2 free throws, but that was really the only chance we had. Our coach wouldnt let us shoot from outside the free throw lane, and our tallest guy was less than 6 foot, while the opposing team had a guy around 6'5". Coach insisted we feed the rock down low, even after the 3rd quarter when we were down some 60 points and hadn't scored yet.

Out team was actually pretty decent, I think we finished just above .500 on the year. The team that beat us... Ames B-team.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
8th grade year, we had a 2 pt conversion that would have put us up with very little time left on the clock. I was a WR. Was called as a run, but there was a botched snap, and the QB got the ball and then I made it to the corner of the endzone (wide open) and waved for the ball. QB (who was actually Austin Spitler -- plays special teams for the Dolphins) threw it to me and it just tipped off my outstretched fingers. I was gutted.

CUIClone

Nov 11, 2009
Pitching in college: Got a swinging strike on a slider that hit the batter in the back leg. (That part was awesome, made me feel like Kerry Wood) The very next pitch I threw a fastball that he hit out of the park. (Oddly enough that made me feel like Kerry Wood as well)

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
My senior year and it was senior night. Just about everyone important in my life was at the game which meant a lot. I wasn't the most talented guy on the team (we have a couple college players,) but I was by far the most clutch. I had multiple game winning hits and game-saving catches my senior year. Radio guys loved me.

Anyhow, it's the bottom of the 7th with no outs (last inning before extras) and I lead of with a perfectly hit double, right down the left field line to the fence. Next guy grounds out to third, so I couldn't advance. I noticed the pitcher hadn't checked on me the entire at-bat, so I figured I would widen my lead.

Got picked off. We lose in the 9th.

this has happened to me as well.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This one might be tough to beat. Lost a 8th grade bball game 70-0. I was 0-2 from the field, and both shots got stuffed right back into my face. Ya, I was about 5'3". We had one player miss 2 free throws, but that was really the only chance we had. Our coach wouldnt let us shoot from outside the free throw lane, and our tallest guy was less than 6 foot, while the opposing team had a guy around 6'5". Coach insisted we feed the rock down low, even after the 3rd quarter when we were down some 60 points and hadn't scored yet.

Out team was actually pretty decent, I think we finished just above .500 on the year. The team that beat us... Ames B-team.

haha, are you in Harrisons grade? Ames D-team was beating B-teams that year.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I recieved a 15 yard Personal Foul for saying Thank You to the ref. I guess he thought I said **** you. I went full on TO and threw the Water Cooler. Lucky I didn't get a second one, the next game was Senior Night.. Earned the nick name TO after that.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
Getting beat by a good Gilbert BB team by 45. At halftime a teammate said if we don't shape up they will score 108 points for the game. That is exactly what they did. This was also the same game I hip tossed one of their best players.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
Totally forgot getting a technical foul in basketball because I yelled in the refs face, "Call a f-ing foul." He did right then and there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron