Will Wisconsin come after CJL?

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
She played at Nebraska, and I would expect them to be the biggest threat. I think her family is there, his is in Wisconsin, so Iowa is the perfect middle ground.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I thought her family had Nebraska ties and that is who we had to worry about the most.

and I think this has helped us - ISU is somewhat of a midpoint between her family and his. Plus she gets the majority of Iowa recruits (since the Hawkeyes suck). WI and Nebraska are the only schools I could realistically see her leaving us for. WI apparently wants her back pretty badly - they started going down after they lost her as an assistant. Joe has a lot of ties there and volleyball is really popular at UW. Obviously, CJL being from Nebby and one of their most beloved former players makes me a bit nervous to see Cook step down someday. I honestly don't think she'd go for Nebby until her kids were older though. That will be an incredibly high-pressure job because Nebby wants to be nothing but #1 all the time. Which isn't bad, but you look at us - we are still thrilled to be making the 2nd/3rd rounds of tournament. Nebby is disappointed when they don't win the championship. Again, not a bad thing, but their coach is highly lauded/criticized depending on the day. There is not nearly the same amount of pressure and expectations put on CJL currently.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
You misspelled "Hilton".

VB is the primary athletics tenant there. New offices, new locker room, no scheduling conflict with other sports for practice time.
There absolutely are scheduling conflicts. MBB, WBB, & wrestling all compete in Hilton. There are also career fairs, concerts, destination ISU, etc.

*edit*: Forgot to mention, gymnastics also competes in Hilton

Last edited:

hawkclone11

Dec 13, 2008
I agree that VB is long overdue for their own practice facilities. I'm sure that would go a long way with the coaches and even recruits too, but I'm sure a donor would need to step up to help foot the bill. Anyone know how many other schools have their own VB only facilities? I'm sure schools like Texas and Nebraska probably do.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The Armory!

Will never happen, but that would be awesome.

Need to blow up the two remaining towers and build a wrestling/volleyball/maybe gymnastics competition and practice venue at that sight. Could still use Hilton for large events.

Will happen soon if I win Powerball, and if I get to bush the button that brings down the towers.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There absolutely are scheduling conflicts. MBB, WBB, & wrestling all compete in Hilton. There are also career fairs, concerts, destination ISU, etc.

*edit*: Forgot to mention, gymnastics also competes in Hilton

To state that they only practice in Forker is also incorrect. During the crossover season (Oct-Nov), volleyball nets are up in Hilton unless there is a basketball game. When the game is over, the facilities crew puts the nets right back up.

Gymnastics has 0 dates in Hilton during VB season.
Wrestling has 2 dates in Hilton during VB season.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
To state that they only practice in Forker is also incorrect. During the crossover season (Oct-Nov), volleyball nets are up in Hilton unless there is a basketball game. When the game is over, the facilities crew puts the nets right back up.

Gymnastics has 0 dates in Hilton during VB season.
Wrestling has 2 dates in Hilton during VB season.
I never stated Forker was the only place they practiced, but it is the facility that will always be available to them, unlike Hilton. The bottom line is that there are scheduling conflicts, contrary to what you claimed earlier. The team doesn't have a permanent home that is worthy of a team of their caliber. Forker as is just doesn't cut it.

MBB practices in Hilton the day before games, as well, so that takes the day before and day of games out of the equation. Also, VB has a spring season which runs from Jan to April, so there are scheduling conflicts in Hilton during that time as well (including Gymnastics).

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
to get back on topic...I will not worry about CJL leaving until Cook is out at Nebraska. There arent too many programs that are a "step up" from ISU now (thanks to Christy) especially in the midwest, where she is most likely to stay.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
to get back on topic...I will not worry about CJL leaving until Cook is out at Nebraska. There arent too many programs that are a "step up" from ISU now (thanks to Christy) especially in the midwest, where she is most likely to stay.

This is CF, it wouldn't be a day with a Y in it if someone wasn't worrying about something doom and gloom in ISU athletics.

I don't see it happening, although I never thought Sanderson would bail like he did.

ISU has made volleyball a priority in its' AD. UWM isn't a step up anymore.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
This is CF, it wouldn't be a day with a Y in it if someone wasn't worrying about something doom and gloom in ISU athletics.
Kentucky has plenty to worry about, that program going downhill this year. I am here for anyone who needs therapy or counseling.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Given that Wisconsin's WBB was in a similar situation, and only outlayed $300K for a new coach, don't know if Alvarez will open up the check book for volleyball.

While I think Bobbie has potential, she has no experience as a head coach, and I will hold my opinions to myself as to why she was hired.

I just don't see Alvarez going for a heavy hitter. The WI Volleyball program doesn't have the name that ISU already has, and would be a step down if you ask me.

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
I think if we add on to the Sukup for CJL, we keep her around for a very long time. She is originally from east side of Omaha, and has built a monster program at ISU that is her creation.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
We need to keep CJ. I have supported Polard on every decision he has made but he needs to keep her.