Will Wisconsin come after CJL?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Need to blow up the two remaining towers and build a wrestling/volleyball/maybe gymnastics competition and practice venue at that sight. Could still use Hilton for large events.

Will happen soon if I win Powerball, and if I get to bush the button that brings down the towers.

Wouldn't it make sense to put one just east of MWL? A walkway could be built over Lincoln so they could still use parking over at Hilton. And opposed to towers, they would still be close to Hilton so if they do have games/duels/meets the team offices and building are right there.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I just don't see Alvarez going for a heavy hitter. The WI Volleyball program doesn't have the name that ISU already has, and would be a step down if you ask me.

Gotta disagree on this one. Alvarez wants to win again.
And Wisconsin isn't just a good job, it's a great job. Great VB facility, huge fan base (averaged over 3,000 a match this year, and they were awful), tremendous college town. Madison is the Austin, TX of the north. With the right coach, Wisky would/should be right there with Penn State and Nebraska.
I think CJL would only leave now for Lincoln, but I bet she gets another big raise out of this...and rightfully so!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Wouldn't it make sense to put one just east of MWL? A walkway could be built over Lincoln so they could still use parking over at Hilton. And opposed to towers, they would still be close to Hilton so if they do have games/duels/meets the team offices and building are right there.

Would flooding be a concern?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

I worry about floods, and everything else (basketball, softball, soccer, track) seems headed in that direction.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Floods would be a concern, I just figured there is accessible parking there and it would get more of the athletic facilities in one place. Does anybody know, do a lot of schools have athletic facilities (arenas, weight rooms, offices, practice facilities, etc.) all in one spot or is it spread out like we have ours?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

AD just spent a few million dollars to get soccer out of that area due to flooding, I doubt they are going to want to invest big money putting a new facility there. Putting something up near the new Cyclone Sports Complex makes a lot more sense.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
That is exactly the point I want made. There is no big money for W Volleyball.

(There is much dysfunction and division here and it goes beyond what you'd expect and Madison is just above the worst of it. WI is in a toxic war between interests in and out of the state that is ready to explode. Schools are declining, we are near last in job creation, while the elected officials entertain BIG IDEAS like being a state that allows hunting in WI state parks! Reconsider moving your family here - it is not the state I moved to in 1986. )

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

(There is much dysfunction and division here and it goes beyond what you'd expect and Madison is just above the worst of it. WI is in a toxic war between interests in and out of the state that is ready to explode. Schools are declining, we are near last in job creation, while the elected officials entertain BIG IDEAS like being a state that allows hunting in WI state parks! Reconsider moving your family here - it is not the state I moved to in 1986. )

well considering I moved here two years ago and was probably planning on staying, this makes me sad :(

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Most of the ones that do are places where they had an old unused gym available.
KU built a new one in the shadows of that big barn they play basketball in. They practce and play games in it. A crowd of 2,000 can have the rafters ringing. Lo and behold their volleyball team is becoming a factor, especially at home.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
can we just have a big celebration when CJL stays here and ignores WI like I think she will? (though that is my choice if she ever left here?) It seems that so many people are convinced that the BIG10 is SUCH a better conference that CJL will leap for it........while I'm thinking she's having a hell of a time in the Big 12 and would be crazy to give that up right now.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
When CJL says things like this on her post-match presser last night: "we want to be elite...we want to be penn state...we want to be stanford...we want to be USC...we want to be among the top 5 programs in the country," well that kinda tells me she's not going anywhere.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
When CJL says things like this on her post-match presser last night: "we want to be elite...we want to be penn state...we want to be stanford...we want to be USC...we want to be among the top 5 programs in the country," well that kinda tells me she's not going anywhere.
It was great hearing that. She was confident too- it did not sound like empty coaches speak or a wishlist.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I thought the same thing when I heard that. She doesn't sound like a coach itching to leave. If she had been, we would have heard how hard they worked this year and how proud of them she is. No talk about the future.

sandiego

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I agree with all of you on the Christy's post match comments. I don't see her going anywhere, anytime soon, much to the chagrin of Wisconsin fans.

On a side note, I did feel kinda bad when Christy started talking about our talent level not being on par with the elite. It was just one of those awwwww moments, seeing Hock, Hahn and Matlock hearing their coach say that. We might not have the most elite talent coming out of high school(acknowledged), but there isn't a team out there that plays with more heart, grit, determination, emotion and selflessness and that comes from the Coach.

Wish I could make out to the west coast. I guess I'll just have to meet up with them in Louisville:)

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

What happened? Did Canada invade? I miss too much news.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I worry about floods, and everything else (basketball, softball, soccer, track) seems headed in that direction.

I think flooding is the reason why everything is moving that direction. Pollard originally wanted to have all of that across Elwood from JTS. I think the plans got changed after all the flooding a few years back. I think the stadium area is built up enough, but the center lots and the fields by MWL, I don't see much happening to them other than parking and grass.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
From Volley Talk: I can confirm that Gawlik has reached out to a head volleyball coach in the state of Ohio. Word is that Wisconsin wants to fill the position quickly and has a short list of candidates. Apparently, Gawlik will be in Louisville as well to meet with at least one other coach who was busy this weekend in the tournament.

My hunch is either Tomic or Sheffield from Ohio.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
From Volley Talk: I can confirm that Gawlik has reached out to a head volleyball coach in the state of Ohio. Word is that Wisconsin wants to fill the position quickly and has a short list of candidates. Apparently, Gawlik will be in Louisville as well to meet with at least one other coach who was busy this weekend in the tournament.

My hunch is either Tomic or Sheffield from Ohio.

Sheffield has been a popular, popular name over there.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
KU built a new one in the shadows of that big barn they play basketball in. They practce and play games in it. A crowd of 2,000 can have the rafters ringing. Lo and behold their volleyball team is becoming a factor, especially at home.

Nebraska is spending something like $20 million on the rickety old Devaney Center to renovate it into a volleyball only facility that will seat 7,000-ish and will have suites and boxes.