Will Wisconsin come after CJL?

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Anyone know of one of the assistants leaving? We are advertising for an assistant volleyball coach on the NCAA job site.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
What facilities do we need?

They need their own facility - an arena that seats 4-5k for their matches. Add in to the facility coaches offices, weight room, room for the athletic trainers, locker rooms, etc. Basically you could build something similar to the bball practice facility only for VB. This would give them a permanent home, yet they could still use Hilton for big matches if necessary.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When CJL says things like this on her post-match presser last night: "we want to be elite...we want to be penn state...we want to be stanford...we want to be USC...we want to be among the top 5 programs in the country," well that kinda tells me she's not going anywhere.

I REALLY like it that she wants this for ISU, for her gals, for herself. It is what I wanted from WBB back in 2000, 2001 when I thought we had built enough success and support to become something more than a top 30 type program. Didn't happen, not going to happen in WBB. I really think VB is going to be different. (Damn that FSU match last year!).

(BTW, I still love to follow the WBB, I just don't have the expectations I used. We have a good program with an elite fan base.)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
They need their own facility - an arena that seats 4-5k for their matches. Add in to the facility coaches offices, weight room, room for the athletic trainers, locker rooms, etc. Basically you could build something similar to the bball practice facility only for VB. This would give them a permanent home, yet they could still use Hilton for big matches if necessary.
I hear you, but would not that be at least $15M to build? Do we still have the Armory to renovate? :rolleyes:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
sounds like this is pretty well killed. Doesn't sound like Wisky was willing to bring out what they would have needed to get the top coaches like CJL. Not that it should be a surprise to ISU fans. We need to continue supporting our program and helping keep a great environment for Christy and family!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Wasn't he hired to improve blocking? That didn't go so well.

oh good, I was hoping it wasn't Klein. She's from the next town over from my hometown and was a star on her vball team in HS. Always thought it was cool that she was an assistant coach. Never realized there was a male assistant besides Joe, lol. I really just knew of him, Jessica, and Dawn.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wonder if Alvarez is even giving it much attention these days? Maybe it is good for us that he is distracted once again with football.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
honest question: why? What is the roi on this kind of investment? I struggle to believe this is a smart investment. I am prepared for the angry responses I am certain to get. But unless there is a real compelling business reason to do this I am hard pressed to think this makes much sense.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
honest question: why? What is the roi on this kind of investment? I struggle to believe this is a smart investment. I am prepared for the angry responses I am certain to get. But unless there is a real compelling business reason to do this I am hard pressed to think this makes much sense.
I would guess this is pure love of volleyball, and the ability to build ISU into a possible national championship team. We would love to see that happen. We need to attract more recruits. Facilities attract recruits just like coaches do.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I would guess this is pure love of volleyball, and the ability to build ISU into a possible national championship team. We would love to see that happen. We need to attract more recruits. Facilities attract recruits just like coaches do.
Kinda was my guess, not financially viable though.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
To be fair, there are several very high-level VB programs that also play in their school's basketball arena, on the basketball court, with VB court lines taped on, like ISU does: Stanford, UCLA, Washington, USC to name four.
That being said, all of the local VB teams that we measure ourselves by: Minn, Ill, TX, Neb, Wisc, KSU, etc., play in great VB venues on dedicated VB courts...

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Kinda was my guess, not financially viable though.
We get good crowds at volleyball games, why not throw that money back into volleyball if there is sufficient money there. I would guess that the ISU volleyball program generates money. How do you decide whether it is financially viable?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We get good crowds at volleyball games, why not throw that money back into volleyball if there is sufficient money there. I would guess that the ISU volleyball program generates money. How do you decide whether it is financially viable?
Every program not named "Football" or "Men's Basketball" costs the Iowa State athletic department, and virtually every other collegiate athletics department, more than it brings in.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

So I'm guessing you'd shut down everything except football and men's basketball.

Help Support Us

Become a patron