Will Wisconsin come after CJL?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
You must have a different definition of "great".

The Pavilion (Minn, 1950), Coliseum (Neb, 1926), Fieldhouse (Wisc, 1930), and Ahearn (KSU, 1950) are old buildings that were sitting empty after other sports got newer digs.

Add Illinois and Huff Hall to that list. The men's basketball team played there before Assembly Hall was built. It's got character, but it needs some air conditioning.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You must have a different definition of "great".

The Pavilion (Minn, 1950), Coliseum (Neb, 1926), Fieldhouse (Wisc, 1930), and Ahearn (KSU, 1950) are old buildings that were sitting empty after other sports got newer digs.

And you need to get out more. FYI: CJL has described all of the above venues, refurbished and remodeled for VB, as "outstanding" or "great." Go on, just ask her. Great atmosphere, great home-court advantages for the home team.
I can tell you don't follow NCAA volleyball at all...

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I stated an opinion. You confirmed the opinion. What was silly about the post?

Going a little further, let's talk about the business decisions. The athletic department's goal is to make money, but it is bound by regulation-- namely, Title IX. For every scholarship in a men's sport, there needs to be a certain number of scholarship's in women's sports. Therefore, you've got a requirement to invest in women's sports.

If you take for granted the notion that women's sports are sinkholes, then the best you can do is to minimize the loss. But you should never completely give up on making a profit. The situation in ISU volleyball is actually one of the best chances you have at ISU to make a return on the investment. ISU has a high-profile coach who has taken the program to a high level in a short amount of time. Fans are taking note and are investing themselves into the program. In order to continue the success, additional investment is needed to 1. retain the coach, and 2. get her the talent needed to compete for conference and national championships. With success on the court, additional revenue opportunities arise.

The alternative, of course, is to not invest in the program at all, watch your brand recognition circle the drain, and continue to lose money while receiving zero benefits from the program at all. Your choice.
One doesn't need to build a monument to title 9 to realize success in woman's athletics.

You ask why i think your respnse is silly: your silly post made a foolish assumption which you elegantly ariculate in your nexr post. It is impossible to eliminate all sports as compliance with federal law is critical, so your assumption is either **** poor or silly.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
To be fair, there are several very high-level VB programs that also play in their school's basketball arena, on the basketball court, with VB court lines taped on, like ISU does: Stanford, UCLA, Washington, USC to name four.
That being said, all of the local VB teams that we measure ourselves by: Minn, Ill, TX, Neb, Wisc, KSU, etc., play in great VB venues on dedicated VB courts...

I would throw Oklahoma in there too as a solid VB venue with McCasland Field House.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
And you need to get out more. FYI: CJL has described all of the above venues, refurbished and remodeled for VB, as "outstanding" or "great." Go on, just ask her. Great atmosphere, great home-court advantages for the home team.
I can tell you don't follow NCAA volleyball at all...

I'd agree with theshadow in terms of questioning the greatness of some of those facilities. I attended the NCAA matches last year at the UMinn Pavilion and was not impressed at all. Nostalgia only goes so far for atmosphere. I cannot argue with a homecourt advantage. But that doesn't mean it's a great homecourt.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'd agree with theshadow in terms of questioning the greatness of some of those facilities. I attended the NCAA matches last year at the UMinn Pavilion and was not impressed at all. Nostalgia only goes so far for atmosphere. I cannot argue with a homecourt advantage. But that doesn't mean it's a great homecourt.
Everyone has their own opinions I guess - but CJL has called Minnesota's arena a "great VB venue."

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Everyone has their own opinions I guess - but CJL has called Minnesota's arena a "great VB venue."

It may have been after her first or second year here, CJL talked about the perfect VB facility was one that seated roughly 4-5k like a Wisconsin or Minnesota.

I'm with you, I like the old arenas that have been re-purposed into VB facilities. They have character, and create a great home court advantage.

Would it be cool to redo the Armory as a VB facility, yes but the in the end it would most likely be more cost efficient to build a new facility if it were to happen.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Was that volleyball only?

My eyes can not safely bug out any more than that.

Suites for volleyball! That's impressive.

As two people who've been to Devaney more than once, that's one of the most impressive improvements I've ever seen.

From the looks of it, VB only. I'm guessing that wrestling will stay in the NU Coliseum after VB moves out.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
It may have been after her first or second year here, CJL talked about the perfect VB facility was one that seated roughly 4-5k like a Wisconsin or Minnesota.

I'm with you, I like the old arenas that have been re-purposed into VB facilities. They have character, and create a great home court advantage.

Would it be cool to redo the Armory as a VB facility, yes but the in the end it would most likely be more cost efficient to build a new facility if it were to happen.

A facility like the one at KU would work. The construction does not look overly expensive. We'd probably need double the seating, but it would rock and be a huge home court advantage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron