Lucious Needs to wake up

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
What's done is done. Now it's time for KL and the entire team to learn from Veags and go 6-1 for the remainder of the non-conference.

If we do that we can be fine. If we don't it will take a really good in conference season to make the dance

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
6-1? That's not good enough. This team better not lose the rest of the way.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
6-1? That's not good enough. This team better not lose the rest of the way.

Based on what I've seen, there is almost no way we win out. They will stumble. We had 3 non-conference losses last year, but Cincy, UNLV and say Iowa, will be better than Drake/UNI/Michigan, IMO.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
So, in the NC A&T game he had 9 assists and 1 TO. Then we play back to back Top 25 teams and they put the clamps on him. My take is that the competition was so far above what we had played previously, that he really struggled against the upgrade in defensive talent. Let's hope what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

If I remember correctly, we lost to Drake and UNI pre-conference last year. Everyone was throwing up in their mouths. CFH got things straightened out good enough for ISU to go dancing. I'm willing, at this point, to give the coaches a chance to coach.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I know this is stating the obvious, but it seems like it needs to be said: Losing to good teams on the road in preseason does not hurt your tournament chances.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
All i see on this thread is blah blah blah. If Fred thinks the guy can play then the guy can play. He has a higher basketball IQ than anyone on this board in just his little finger. It was a bad road trip yes but sometimes good teams and players need to get kicked in the nuts to realize that they have to get back to work and can't rely on tallent like thet did against the cupcake parade in the 1st 4 games. If you want to light your hair on fire GO FOR IT that just means it will be easier for me to get a ticket into Hilton later this season.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Without reading the whole thread...I'll point out that Lucious sat out the last year and a half. If you recall, it took Royce a while to get into the flow as well.
This is not about rust, it is more about being smart on the court and facilitating the rest of the team. Three point attempts from 35 feet are worth no more than those around the perimeter. No steals is a surprise. So few assists is a surprise especially when you have a Tyrus, Percy, Will and Niang to shoot after the assist pass. At this point, we could play Mcbeth and be no worse off.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
KL is probably on a trial basis now. Clyburn could be our point guard when the conference season starts.

Percy, Will, Niang, Babb for defense, and Tyrus. 34 minutes each.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
Don't be suprised if KL plays really well the next game or two, then breaks your heart again. That's kind of been his mo. He is an undisciplined player or what some might call to much playground in his game. That is not always a bad thing. When you play a disciplined, tough defensive team his style of play can wind up breaking down their defense. If Fred Hoiberg can reign him in and get him to play within his offense you will really have something. If he plays his own way it could possibly be the difference in 5 wins becoming 5 losses. I don't know how it will turn out. CFH made things work last year and I'm sure he's working on this. KL has the talent to play in the NBA but his head will determine his future.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I know this is stating the obvious, but it seems like it needs to be said: Losing to good teams on the road in preseason does not hurt your tournament chances.
Actually, it does. Just not much. One was a neutral court, by the way.

CyMyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Fortunately, we don't have what's characterized as a bad loss yet. UNLV and Cincy should have very good squads all year long, and I still don't see any reason why we can't be a good team this year. We have a veteran team with a lot of talent. Once CFH is able to mesh that talent, like last year, we'll find similar success. I can't turn on Korie yet as I really think he's a good ball player and think he'll help our team this year. Time is big, the team now has a week to practice and evaluate 6 games (7 w/ ex.) and learn where they can improve. March is a long way and I still expect this team to be there.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
KL is probably on a trial basis now. Clyburn could be our point guard when the conference season starts.

I hope not. He needs to play the wing. His ball handling (as the primary ball handler) is suspect from what I have seen and he is MUCH better as a slasher/scorer. Just looking at his stats at Utah he only had 1 assist per game in his season there, not what you want from a facilitator.

tee1up

Dec 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So, in the NC A&T game he had 9 assists and 1 TO. Then we play back to back Top 25 teams and they put the clamps on him. My take is that the competition was so far above what we had played previously, that he really struggled against the upgrade in defensive talent. Let's hope what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

If I remember correctly, we lost to Drake and UNI pre-conference last year. Everyone was throwing up in their mouths. CFH got things straightened out good enough for ISU to go dancing. I'm willing, at this point, to give the coaches a chance to coach.

I think he will improve; that said, he is "the guy that has played in two final fours". You would think his learning curve would be pretty short. He has seen teams and players like this for years. Not like an 18 year old freshman coming in.