Lucious Needs to wake up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyMyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
I think he'll figure it out and get better but Lucious does strike me as in the same mold as last years Chris Allen. They both acted and shot like they were on-fire ala NBA jam. I hope Lucious at least takes a look at his stats line and realizes that him shooting as much as he does actually hurts his team. Give McGee those shots, or even Clyburn and we are a much better team (IMHO).

Yep, I agree with this. Like Allen, I think at some point, hopefully soon, he'll realize this is his last year as a senior, and winning will become the most important thing. With that being said, I don't believe it's not important to him, but realizing the clock winding down, I think he'll embrace more of a facilitator's role as it will help this team immensely. There will always be a learning curve as a team finds its identity, and I think KL will turn into a true point guard over the course of the season. Hoiberg thinks he'll lead this team, and until I hear him change his opinion, I expect a similar season to last.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
The turnovers have been the biggest problem for Korie, but I want to talk about his shooting. He's been fine on three-pointers, at 12 for 35. The glaring issue, however, has been his two-point shooting. He is only 4 for 21 on two-point attempts. Additionally, Lucious has only been to the free throw line twice in six games, which to me is even more troubling.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Korie Lucious has shot 4 free throws in 162 minutes.

Bubu Palo shot 59 free throws in 290 minutes last season.

Last edited:

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I don't think Clyburn is like RW at all, but Clyburn as a Scottie Pippen type point is our best look right now. We really wouldn't think that much of it if we hadn't had the tank of a power forward at point last year, guys built like Will run the point all the time in the NBA and from time to time for top college teams.

It also fits for getting our most productive scorer McGee on the court the most. Clyburn, McGee, Babb, Ejim, Booker is our best defensive lineup. Clyburn, McGee, Ejim, Gibson, Niang is our best offensive lineup so far.

I think this will change the same way Chris Allen lost ISU games early and won ISU games late in the season, but right now it's pretty clear that initiating the offense through Clyburn is the most effective.
This is the way I see it. I have always doubted if Korie was the answer everybody thought he was. The few minutes the above five were together gave us the best combination I've seen form this team. The offen se actually runs smoother with Long at pg, his individual numbers just don't show it. Yet.

CyMyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Agreed that saying "ripping" is over-the-top, but I'm just saying patience is needed as I think KL will be a good player for us. Team just needs time to mesh like last year's team. Just like I said on the previous page. I still think we have a tourney team.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Yeah. Another thread ripping apart a Cyclone 6 games into the season. Some "fans" are ridiculous.

I prefer to look at it as a thread to help our 5th year sr. pg understand that making dumb decisions isn't helping ISU win games, because clearly that isn't something that's sunk in for him at this point.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Without reading the whole thread...I'll point out that Lucious sat out the last year and a half. If you recall, it took Royce a while to get into the flow as well.

CyMyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Without reading the whole thread...I'll point out that Lucious sat out the last year and a half. If you recall, it took Royce a while to get into the flow as well.

This. Players currently discovering their roles on the team, with 6 seniors, I find it hard to believe they won't figure out how to play their best collectively, including Lucious.

Reactions: Aclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
White & Lucious Comparison

I'm not seeing the parallel between White & Lucious. Last year it took the coaches about 10 games for the staff to figuire out a PF was the teams best PG. Also Royce hadn't played a single college game.

With Lucious we have a5th year senior, who has practiced with this team for over a year, making bad decisions and playing very selfish. There may be a reason he was booted off MSU.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Let's not forget, too, that after Korie Lucious left Michigan State, there seemed to be only one school in the entire country that wanted him.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Re: White & Lucious Comparison

I'm not seeing the parallel between White & Lucious. Last year it took the coaches about 10 games for the staff to figuire out a PF was the teams best PG. Also Royce hadn't played a single college game.

With Lucious we have a5th year senior, who has practiced with this team for over a year, making bad decisions and playing very selfish. There may be a reason he was booted off MSU.

I don't want to touch the last sentence, but other than that I wholeheartedly agree with you. The things he is doing bad are not related to being out of position or things not clicking, they are due to selfishness and unintelligent basketball.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
I dont really know how we kept up with 2 top 25 teams when our point guard had 2 assists in 2 games. Its just unacceptable. I wonder how many other teams have gone 40 minutes without their starting pg giving out an assist.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I would be careful what I write about someone on a message board. I can't see where this thread actually helps ISU. I think that should be the primary function of an ISU fan. These are the coach's problems, not yours and mine. I think probably fans jump on players too quickly generally, out of passion for the team, but think about it strategically. The problems are between the coach and the player, fans best function is support, since players generally react better to support than criticism from the fans. If I were a player, I would work harder for a fan base that treats me with respect, rather than pretentious fans who perhaps believe they know more than the coach. Some discussions are counter-productive.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think KL seems out of sync, he doesn't look comfortable playing off the ball with WC running the point.