The 25 worst airports in America

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I travel all the time - nearly a trip every week and I concur with this list.

But what irks me is that America has really dump-crappy airports, but immaculate, upgraded state of the art Sports Arenas.

Says a lot about what we value.... Some old geezer once said, <sic> " where your treasure lies, so does your heart".

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I think we can all agree that slideshows are the O'Hare Airport of internet pages.

Oh, and if there's a better airport than MCI, I haven't been there.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I spent the night in the Newark airport on Thanksgiving a few years ago, it smelled like New Jersey

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've been in 11 of those.

My worst experience was in St. Louis. It was summer and about 95 degrees outside. I landed in St. Louis from Des Moines and they said that our next plane was already in line to take off and that they were going to put us on a tram so we could board while it was in line.
They put us in what was essentially a tin box on wheels, drove it out onto the tarmac and we sat there baking for about 2 hours without air conditioning. I was about ready to claw my way out of that box along with everybody else.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
It seems this is a list of the busiest airports. I have been in 5 of them and it is a pain having to go so far at times to catch a connecting flight. Been to Sky Harbor a ton of times, and it is not bad but because of the amount of times I have been there I have had the most bad flying experience's there.

Besides being a little cramped for space I have really enjoyed flying allegiant into Mesa vs going a none direct flight and to sky harbor. Have also used them to vegas with good experience's too.

I like being able to show up at the airport 1 hour before my flight and not have anything to worry about.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not surprised at all that Detroit-Wayne County Int'l isn't on that list. I've never had any problems flying out of or into Detroit, at least, where the problem was at Detroit. It's busy, but the way they've reconfigured that airport has made it an extremely efficient airport. Plus, being a Delta hub, it has a direct flight to the Quad Cities just in case I have to get "home" in a hurry. One of my favorite airports.

I got lost trying to get to Newark airport at roughly 4AM one time with no GPS and no directions. Just trying to follow road signs. You know what is a scary place around 4AM? Newark.

There's not a single thing I like about Newark-Liberty, and it's the airport I fly to most often. Well, okay, flying by the Statue of Liberty as you're landing was kind of cool the first couple of times I did it, but whatever. Doesn't make up for the suckfest that is that airport.

And I feel your pain about getting lost in Newark at night. My Newark-Chicago flight got cancelled due to a mechanical breakdown of the plane I was supposed to board right as a weather system was moving into the area that cancelled any other flight I could get on from any airline. My government travel agent booked me in a room at a Staybridge Inn on the other side of the NJ Turnpike. But the Mapquest directions that the car rental place printed out for me weren't accurate and I ended up in the Port of Newark and downtown Elizabeth several times. Turns out the sign pointing to Staybridge Inn was strategically placed to cause drivers to drive by the hotel on its first 3 attempts or so. Then, because my flight was cancelled and I got a new set of flights, I practically got strip searched at the airport the next morning. Turns out just about everyone flying out of Newark that morning became a security risk. To this day I find it extremely ironic that if you see several sets of "SS" on your ticket that ordinarily wouldn't be there, you can expect security to "randomly search" you.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Let me see here...

SAT - nope
ATL - yup, it's huge, but I didn't think it was that bad?
SMF - only been there once, didn't seem half bad, some funny art
STL - been there a few times, nothing special
CLE - nope (but will this spring)
SAN - when I was 7
MDW - been through here too many times on Southwest transfers... nowhere to eat here :(
BWI - I like BWI, really good food choices, and direct flights practically everywhere?
DCA - so glad that Southwest goes here... cramped as hell, but really convenient location
FLL - nope
LAS - hilarious to see the slot machines off the plane, that's worth some points right there
HOU - nope
BOS - nope
JFK - nope
DEN - some really good food, been transferred through here a few times and didn't mind it
PHL - nope
DFW - only bounced through here quickly
LAX - actually, this is one of my least favorite airports, but the approach vector has a fun view
MIA - nope
LGA - been here, didn't spent enough time to really think too badly about it
IAD - I don't know why you would hate on this place--it's meant as an international hub
ORD - been through a few times, superior to MDW, at least
IAH - nope
SFO - not much there but the gates, but easy enough to get downtown from there
EWR - never been

15/25 for me, some of the rankings up there I have to disagree with (BWI in particular).

What did they rank highly that we are missing? DTW? Nashville? Love Field? Charlotte? Pittsburgh? Cincinnati? MCI? The smaller LA airports? AUS? Sky Harbor? Albuquerque Sunport? Minneapolis? PDX? I can't think of many more big ones that serve as anything like a hub for any of the major airlines.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
The 25 Worst Airports in America, From Newark to Dallas (Photos) - The Daily Beast

Interesting to see. I've been to 18 of the 25 they list, and in my opinion, they got most of the worst ones, although the omissions of Sky Harbor and SeaTac are glaring. I disagree with Denver being on the list, though. I've always had good experiences there, and they have a ton of amenities if you get tied up there for a while.

For me, the worst will always be O'Hare, with Atlanta being a close second, and Dallas at 3rd.

I spent 36 hours in the Denver Airport, but that was because of a blizzard. Denver shouldn't be on this list.

Newark is the dirtiest and O'hare security takes forever.

And that's an understatement. I actually avoid any flights with O'Hare as I just despise that airport but unfortunately when I travel to the Philippines I can't seem to avoid it. I got my first experience with LAX this past week when we got rerouted from Manila to Los Angeles. I was expecting a horrible experience based on what others have said in the past but was pleasantly surprised and nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. From LAX we were flown to Atlanta and I have to agree that that airport was not impressive at all.

Last edited:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Hate flying thru EWR and PHL, nothing but a lousy experience for both. I know folks routinely complain about O'Hare but I've had no real issue there, other than it just feeling uncomfortably busy. Luggage did get left behind one time but that was due to our flight out of Des Moines being delayed, we only barely made the gate as is. IAH is one that surprises me, didn't think they'd be that high.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
In my experience, it's just a pain to lug around in there since it seems like I always fly in on the exact opposite end of the airport, and your flights are often delayed. It's not so much the airport itself in that situation.

DFW seems like it is 200 years old and has not been updated since it was created. The ceilings are low and it is so dark. I will say the LGA is still the worst, it is crappy as DFW, but also is filled with New Yorkers.

I like Atlanta, seems nice and easy to get through. Last year when I was coming though immigration in my ISU sweatshirt, I thought one of the TSA agents was going to hug me. He was a huge Bama fan.

The airport I miss is Memphis. It is old and run down, but they have the best food. The whole place smells like bbq. Never go there anymore now that Northwest is gone.

Last edited:

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Not really sure why all the hate on PHX?? I have flown in/out of that airport more than any other and not once have I had a delay...not kidding. It's super easy to get in and out of the airport and is actually pretty nice. Every airport I have had issues with have been on the East Coast.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Been to 15 of them and I think LGA is by far the worst. Spent the night on the floor in ATL once, that sucked.

Denver has the nicest bathrooms I have used in an airport..that goes a long way!

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Are we flying through the same dfw airport? I fly through dfw when I go back to Omaha from new Orleans and its pretty nice. I had a3hour layover on Friday and terminal d is actually pretty nice...

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Not really sure why all the hate on PHX?? I have flown in/out of that airport more than any other and not once have I had a delay...not kidding. It's super easy to get in and out of the airport and is actually pretty nice. Every airport I have had issues with have been on the East Coast.

I don't get it either. I've never had a problem at Sky Harbor.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
I've actually been in all 25 of those airports...(i rack up about 100,000 Delta miles a year for work). O'hare is by far my least favorite, and fortunately I don't go through there anymore since I fly Delta exclusively. I hate Newark, JFK and LGA with a passion. Really like Detroit, MSP and SLC...really don't mind ATL either, I have to catch a lot of international connections out of there, and their new Terminal F for international departures is really nice.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't fly much but O'Hare is a nightmare and I will avoid it at all costs. In fact my last business trip to Chicago I flew to Milwaukee and drove the hour down the interstate to get to my destination. Not only was it cheaper I'm sure the time I spent messing with the rental car and drive was less than any security checks and flight delays I may have dealt with at O'Hare plus getting the rental car in and out of there as well. Las Vegas is not bad IMO, last trip there I think I was in line for security less there than I was at Des Moines. I've only transferred flights in Denver but I've had nothing but delays and untimely gate changes most of the time while going through there

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
lol at the O'hare. I must be the luckiest person on the planet, granted, I live here, but there isn't an airport I'd rather fly out of (during the warm months of course). I can pretty much get to any place on the planet and it always seems my problems stem from trying to get back home as opposed to leaving. I suppose when you put that much traffic through your airport you are bound for problems. It's not uncommon to see 7 lights lined up in any direction making an approach to ORD at night. If you actually sit and watch it all happen from the ground, it's amazing.