The 25 worst airports in America

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The 25 Worst Airports in America, From Newark to Dallas (Photos) - The Daily Beast

Interesting to see. I've been to 18 of the 25 they list, and in my opinion, they got most of the worst ones, although the omissions of Sky Harbor and SeaTac are glaring. I disagree with Denver being on the list, though. I've always had good experiences there, and they have a ton of amenities if you get tied up there for a while.

For me, the worst will always be O'Hare, with Atlanta being a close second, and Dallas at 3rd.

We have had completely different experiences then. I HATE HATE HATE Denver, with a firery passion. I don't mind O'Hare but I've only been there once.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Sometimes the airline you fly on, can have an effect on your perception of an airport. Detroit, is a good example. If you fly Northwest or Delta, you'll always go through their new terminal, which is gorgeous, has a really good gate to gate transit system, and is generally very pleasant. However, if you get unlucky and have to fly out of their old terminal, it can be much worse. Gates are lined up along long, dark hallways with very little seating, and few amenities.

Another one that falls into that category is Charlotte. Their main terminal is awesome. But their old terminal is designated for Southwest Airlines, and it's like a 3rd world country over there. There is literally a demarcation zone, where you go from one terminal to the next, and it's very noticeable. All of a sudden, the floors are dirtier, the ceilings are lower, the lights are dimmer. Obviously it's the difference between an old building and a new one, but I can see how people flying into the same airport can have entirely different experiences.

When was the last time you flew out of Detroit's old terminal? Yeah, it's long and not as "nice" as the Delta terminals, but the terminal is far from dark, I've never had a problem with seating, and there are plenty of amenities.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
About the Denver airport:
Something is rotten in the Denver airport (13 Photos) : theCHIVE

Those murals are pretty strange indeed. But I've also always had a great experience flying into or out of DIA so whatever.

Oh and to the folks talking about the Memphis airport, can't agree more. One of my very favorites. The airport itself is, well, an airport, but the food is absolutely heavenly.

All of the children of the world bring in the weapons from their country, handing them to a German boy. The gas mask man from the previous scene is now dead, two doves perched on his body. All of the children appear to be relieved. The deeper metaphor is the return to peace, a rebirth; there will be no more need for weapons in the new world. Oh great, my flight just got delayed for, lemme’ see here, All of Eternity.

The artist is clearly a Nazi. I mean, come on - the world turning its weapons over to the Germans? When did that ever work out well?

clonefan10

May 30, 2012
Des Moines
DFW is my favorite airport that I've been too. Very modern, very clean. Was last there about 4 years ago. O'Hare is O'Hare--probably the airport everyone has been to the most. Spent a while in customs after returning from a trip overseas in June but it wasn't over-the-top long. Spent a night in LaGuardia a few years back and it sucked, but spending the night in any airport is gonna suck. St. Louis isn't the greatest. Took a flight out of LAX last summer at 4 in the morning and was surprised with how busy it was. There probably isn't a time when it's not busy. Flew from there to Denver, which was nice but I was only there for like 30 min. Looked cool because it was surrounded by mountains though.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Newark
JFK
La Guardia

All three to me look the same. junky and non-descript

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron