The 25 worst airports in America

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
One thing that's great about O'Hare, and Midway too, is how well it's connected to a good transportation system. You can get to anywhere in the city from either airport for like $2.50, which is a pretty damn good feature. MCI (the greatest airport in the world, as far as I'm concerned) definitely doesn't have this.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I got 18 and would have more if I didn't try so hard to stay away from a few of them.

Not sure if that is good or bad.

Z

D

DistrictCyclone

Are we flying through the same dfw airport? I fly through dfw when I go back to Omaha from new Orleans and its pretty nice. I had a3hour layover on Friday and terminal d is actually pretty nice...

Now that is a ****** airport...

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
When I think of worst, I think of safety, not amenities and on time arrivals and departures. The big hubs are generally a problem due to the carriers and not the physical plants. TSA made flying a horrific experience. The new TSA Pre-Check process has helped but it's not universally available.

The worst airports are the big hub airports served by AA. That carrier has gone from best to worst.

I've been to all 25. Over the years, I spent the most time at EWR, LGA, JFK and ORD. STL is awful in the summer due to thunderstorms. DFW can be bad due to ice storms in the winter months. ORD is good as a home base but awful as a connection hub. The NY areas airports are bad due to congestion in air. Same goes for the Washington area airports.

My flying days are over. It feels good not being in airports every week. It feels good not being in Hiltons and Marriotts every week. I'll never forget CLO, DAR and BPM, which was closed, because they truly are or were the worst of the worst.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
When I fly, it is through O'hare and DFW. Never had a bad experience. Though I suppose one time at O'hare it took forever to get through security and I was the last person to board my flight.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
But what irks me is that America has really dump-crappy airports, but immaculate, upgraded state of the art Sports Arenas.

This doesnt irk me at all. Airports are just a means to an end. You go to an airport to get where you really want to be. However an arena IS the destination for most going there.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
DFW seems like it is 200 years old and has not been updated since it was created. The ceilings are low and it is so dark. I will say the LGA is still the worst, it is crappy as DFW, but also is filled with New Yorkers.

I like Atlanta, seems nice and easy to get through. Last year when I was coming though immigration in my ISU sweatshirt, I thought one of the TSA agents was going to hug me. He was a huge Bama fan.

The airport I miss is Memphis. It is old and run down, but they have the best food. The whole place smells like bbq. Never go there anymore now that Northwest is gone.

Memphis is great. I think I used to go through there to New Orleans a lot, as well as to Tampa a couple of times. It's not like it's the best airport, like you said, but the BBQ joints are awesome. Probably the best food of any airport.

I think it's just how grimy the ATL airport is that bothers me. And security took freaking forever the last time I went through there. It's just not an enjoyable experience.

I agree with DistrictCyclone, the New Orleans airport is a pain. The airport itself is clean and airy enough, but for being such a big town, it's just a really small airport with a small airport's amenities. And I'll be damned if I didn't (even with Mapquest) get myself on the wrong highway out of there three different times, so I had to go all of the way across that long freaking bridge to Metairie or wherever and then all of the way back. They also lost my luggage worse than any other trip I've had - I got it back on day three of a four-day trip.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I've been to several and for me, LaGuardia is by far the worst. First, it looks like a bunch of abandoned warehouses. And if you are lucky enough not to fly into the main terminal (I'm looking at you Delta), it's a major PITA to find your way around.

With the new terminal in McCarron (Las Vegas), it's one of the nicer terminals I've been in...lots of outlets, food choices, spacious, etc. The old terminal is a different story so I can see why it made the list.

From a logistics perspective, Houston-George Bush is terrible...you basically have to ride the bus anywhere you go. The layout is just plain bad.

O'Hare security is certainly a pain but the amenities are top notch. And I'll second the Kansas City-MCI airport...Des Moines has more amenities than that place.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I got lost trying to get to Newark airport at roughly 4AM one time with no GPS and no directions. Just trying to follow road signs. You know what is a scary place around 4AM? Newark.

Totally agree! Newark at night, is freaky. Small roads, crazy steel structures, the chance of inadvertently going through a tunnel and ending up in NYC. The industrial post apocalyptic feel is second to none...

La Guardia is a worse airport though...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Frequent fliers - what's the weirdest flight you've ever taken?

I had to fly to Cold Lake, Alberta once for work. It's way north in Alberta, the only airport there is a military base. I had to fly into Calgary the night before, stay overnight, and then I boarded a tiny six-seater plane that basically amounted to an air-bus the next morning. We stopped at four different tiny airports on the way up to Cold Lake, and let people off at each.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Frequent fliers - what's the weirdest flight you've ever taken?

I had to fly to Cold Lake, Alberta once for work. It's way north in Alberta, the only airport there is a military base. I had to fly into Calgary the night before, stay overnight, and then I boarded a tiny six-seater plane that basically amounted to an air-bus the next morning. We stopped at four different tiny airports on the way up to Cold Lake, and let people off at each.

I've flown into Bismarck, ND several times and, while its still a "regional" airport...it's one giant room with a couple of jetways sticking out. It doesn't feel anything like an airport. I've flown in chartered 6 seater planes before to very small airports...the experience is completely different than flying in a commercial airplane.

Flight-wise, last July my wife and I went to NYC for our anniversary and we flew DSM to DC-Reagan. We boarded the flight at Reagan...it was over 100 degrees and the plan was not running. So people start to get impatient because its so hot. After about 20 minutes the pilot finally starts up the engines. We hear a very loud grinding noise, the plane starts to shake back and forth, and we hear a loud POP. And then the cabin starts filling with smoke. People start freaking out and the flight attendants cannot get any of the emergency exits open so we all deplane through the main door while smoke is filling the cabin. Pretty scary actually but what happened was someone on the ground forgot to unhook the large air hose from the jet bridge and when the pilot fired the engines, one of the sucked the hose completely through the engine. A 4-hour delay later, we ended up in NYC.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've flown into Bismarck, ND several times and, while its still a "regional" airport...it's one giant room with a couple of jetways sticking out. It doesn't feel anything like an airport. I've flown in chartered 6 seater planes before to very small airports...the experience is completely different than flying in a commercial airplane.

Flight-wise, last July my wife and I went to NYC for our anniversary and we flew DSM to DC-Reagan. We boarded the flight at Reagan...it was over 100 degrees and the plan was not running. So people start to get impatient because its so hot. After about 20 minutes the pilot finally starts up the engines. We hear a very loud grinding noise, the plane starts to shake back and forth, and we hear a loud POP. And then the cabin starts filling with smoke. People start freaking out and the flight attendants cannot get any of the emergency exits open so we all deplane through the main door while smoke is filling the cabin. Pretty scary actually but what happened was someone on the ground forgot to unhook the large air hose from the jet bridge and when the pilot fired the engines, one of the sucked the hose completely through the engine. A 4-hour delay later, we ended up in NYC.

I've flown into a couple of tiny places in Indiana where the airport was security, and then one gate. Just one. They waited until about 20 min before the plane boarded to let you through security and up there, because there was absolutely nothing to do.

Mechanical issues freak me out. I've been pretty lucky, I haven't had anything like that. I did sort of throw gum at someone in ATL once.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
O'Hare I avoid at all costs. LAS and DEN have always been good for me.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
LaGuardia is a hell hole of an airport. We flew O'Hare-LaGuardia for the Pinstripe Bowl last year and O'Hare was great. LaGuardia on the other hand sucked.

Haven't had issues flying Denver, Minneapolis, Eppley, Orlando, or SeaTac. Atlanta also belongs on the hell hole list when we had our connection to Orlando there in 2007.

The more I visit the gigantic airports, the more I appreciate the ease of flying out of Des Moines.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
The more I visit the gigantic airports, the more I appreciate the ease of flying out of Des Moines.

Outside of the lack of Starbucks and food inside the airport I agree totally. I swear I've had years of 0 to 10 min lines at DSM. The last couple of months it's more like 30 mins of winding through a weird line. No idea why it got bad just like that.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Outside of the lack of Starbucks and food inside the airport I agree totally. I swear I've had years of 0 to 10 min lines at DSM. The last couple of months it's more like 30 mins of winding through a weird line. No idea why it got bad just like that.

Must be the time, I left at 3 in the afternoon last week for Seattle, and we waited maybe 2 min.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sometimes the airline you fly on, can have an effect on your perception of an airport. Detroit, is a good example. If you fly Northwest or Delta, you'll always go through their new terminal, which is gorgeous, has a really good gate to gate transit system, and is generally very pleasant. However, if you get unlucky and have to fly out of their old terminal, it can be much worse. Gates are lined up along long, dark hallways with very little seating, and few amenities.

Another one that falls into that category is Charlotte. Their main terminal is awesome. But their old terminal is designated for Southwest Airlines, and it's like a 3rd world country over there. There is literally a demarcation zone, where you go from one terminal to the next, and it's very noticeable. All of a sudden, the floors are dirtier, the ceilings are lower, the lights are dimmer. Obviously it's the difference between an old building and a new one, but I can see how people flying into the same airport can have entirely different experiences.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Still haven't seen any reasons on why Sky Harbor sucks so bad.

In my experience, security takes forever, and the flight selections for me are not great. I also have experienced delays. I don't fly through there a ton, however, so it's not on my worst list - but it's definitely not on my best.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron