A True Playmaking QB???

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I know that a lot of our faults are not just on the QB, I believe that Jantz this year is much improved from last year. But honestly how awesome would it have been to land one of these big name QB that we were after that past few years, look at all their success(Manziel, JW Walsh). I honestly believe that next year this discussion will be an after thought, I hope anyway, it would have been nice to just have Richardson or Rohach step up like these other 2 and this discuss would be over for the next we years anyway......

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Peyton Manning couldn't do much better with the time to throw that our QB's have and our lack of athleticism at wideout. Everyone just wants to point fingers at the QB's. Yes, our QB's are not great, but our entire offense is pretty miserable.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Peyton Manning couldn't do much better with the time to throw that our QB's have and our lack of athleticism at wideout. Everyone just wants to point fingers at the QB's. Yes, our QB's are not great, but our entire offense is pretty miserable.

Not really sure if I agree with this, look in yesterday's game, the two INT's with us driving occurred with either a forced throw or a misscommunication with Jantz and West. That would have made that game a lot more reasonable with TD's or even FG rather than INT's complete momentum shifts.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012

ding ding ding
QB play has indeed been bad. but so has nearly every other position outside of maybe RB. OL miss blocks, QB makes poor decisions/bad throws, WR drop balls/don't get open.

the offense as a whole is just bad.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

In today's game, QB's must be able to keep their cool and make plays with defenders in their face or about to hit them. Jantz is a big cause of the perceived "no time".

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

He would put the ball where it needs to be. Now the next question is can the recievers catch it when thrown there. Watch other college QBs and how tight of a space they can put the ball in, then watch ours.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Hopefully one of Rohach or Richardson will step up and we can finally get that playmaking QB

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think either Richardson or Rohach will be big next year. Maybe not Johnny Manziel big but definitely a higher quality of QB then we have seen in Ames for a while. Part of the problem is since we are Iowa State and can't get guys like Manziel or Walsh, it may take the guys we get that much more time to develop, which I think is part of the reason Rhoads doesn't play a lot of young guys.

Reactions: kingcy

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I just cross my fingers we see Richardson on Saturday he can't do worse than what we have seen this season.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I've been told that Rohach not only has a great arm but also great leadership ability and that he could have a legitimate shot at starting next year. I can only hope this is true!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Do we run vanilla routes which are super uncomplicated to defend?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I've been told that Rohach not only has a great arm but also great leadership ability and that he could have a legitimate shot at starting next year. I can only hope this is true!

Is this from a player, coach, assistant, or someone who randomly thinks they know more than everyone else?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

When was the last time we heard something negative about a QB that has not yet played?

Rohach, Sam, or JB will need to have the ability to deliver a good pass under pressure. There has been reasonable pressure this year. Next year without green tackles, it could be a legitimate issue.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

This!

I wish it were as simple as new QB, new offensive life. Even if we had Klein from KState. We don't hold our blocks long enough for even him to be effective in our offense. It's ******* ridiculous how bad our Offensive line is.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This!

I wish it were as simple as new QB, new offensive life. Even if we had Klein from KState. We don't hold our blocks long enough for even him to be effective in our offense. It's ******* ridiculous how bad our Offensive line is.

The OL is by far better than the QB or WR spot. White and Johnson combined avg 4.7 ypc. JB averages 4.6 ypc. Nealy 6.3 ypc. Compared to the QB and WR spot, they do an acceptable job on called run plays- and have since CPR and Bleil got here. Jantz creates pressure. You would be amazed at how much better the OLine would look with a QB as skilled as Klein.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The OL is by far better than the QB or WR spot. White and Johnson combined avg 4.7 ypc. JB averages 4.6 ypc. Nealy 6.3 ypc. Compared to the QB and WR spot, they do an acceptable job on called run plays- and have since CPR and Bleil got here. Jantz creates pressure. You would be amazed at how much better the OLine would look with a QB as skilled as Klein.

I'm a little confused as to how a different quarterback makes the O-line better. Please explain.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
I'm a little confused as to how a different quarterback makes the O-line better. Please explain.

First off, maintaining composure and stepping up in the pocket instead of scrambling right away. Gotta be tough blocking when you don't know where the guy you are protecting is gonna be.