A True Playmaking QB???

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
First off, maintaining composure and stepping up in the pocket instead of scrambling right away. Gotta be tough blocking when you don't know where the guy you are protecting is gonna be.
This was a similar case when we had Brett Meyer and Seneca. We made it work than, why not know, I know the athletetisim is probably part of the reason.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The biggest difference between Steele and David Ash is that Ash has been getting pass protection all year, and has NFL receivers to throw to.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
QB play is an issue but just one piece of the puzzle.

Name one even remotely consistent playmaking receiver on our roster this year (or the last 5 for that matter).

Don't worry, I'll wait...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
QB play is an issue but just one piece of the puzzle.

Name one even remotely consistent playmaking receiver on our roster this year (or the last 5 for that matter).

Don't worry, I'll wait...
Unfortunately, some people simply seem to feel a need to play the blame game, rather than recognizing a team effort. Or admitting that things are improved, and will continue to be.

Well, okay, I can't say that for sure about the WR's--but I like youngsters like Bundrage, Daley and West. :wink:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Todd Blythe, and before that Lane Danielson and probably JJ Moses. Yep its been a long damn time since we have had play makers on the edge. I think I am forgetting someone in there but your point stands.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
There is a lot on the qb in our system. Collin Klein amazes me with how he handles the running and passing games at ksu. Is he that physically great? Cerebral? Great line and/or playmakers?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I look at the Denver Broncos though as a case against our QB issues. That set of receivers in 2011 looked sad. They look just fine in 2012 but that's a bit unfair as Manning is a future HOF QB.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Unfortunately, some people simply seem to feel a need to play the blame game, rather than recognizing a team effort. Or admitting that things are improved, and will continue to be.

Well, okay, I can't say that for sure about the WR's--but I like youngsters like Bundrage, Daley and West. :wink:

Agree. However, according to some on this board Steele Jantz is single handily responsible for everything from the Great Chicago Fire, to the rise of Third Reich to the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby. To name just a few.

It's disgusting actually. I realize it comes with the territory of playing QB, but it still bothers me to see kids bashed so unmercifully by some fans.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Agree. However, according to some on this board Steele Jantz is single handily responsible for everything from the Great Chicago Fire, to the rise of Third Reich to the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby. To name just a few.

It's disgusting actually. I realize it comes with the territory of playing QB, but it still bothers me to see kids bashed so unmercifully by some fans.

I have seen few say Jantz is the only problem. Mess, Jantz, WR, OL in that order.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Got to stick with Jantz the next 2 games. Don't think anyone else can put up enough points to beat Geno Smith.

Next year I hope someone separates themselves from the group. I doubt Barnett does in camp. So of the 4 kids I hope one is better than the other 3 because I expect JB to be the backup/short term 2nd option.

If noone emerges the thought of 3 or 4 guys fighting for the job against UNI is scary.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
First off, maintaining composure and stepping up in the pocket instead of scrambling right away. Gotta be tough blocking when you don't know where the guy you are protecting is gonna be.

Thanks for explaining. I've always wondered what coaches philosophies on scrambling are. I've always heard that lineman are trained to get to the QB in three seconds. To me that means a quarterback should have his mental clock on and get out of the pocket at the three second mark.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I know that a lot of our faults are not just on the QB, I believe that Jantz this year is much improved from last year. But honestly how awesome would it have been to land one of these big name QB that we were after that past few years, look at all their success(Manziel, JW Walsh). I honestly believe that next year this discussion will be an after thought, I hope anyway, it would have been nice to just have Richardson or Rohach step up like these other 2 and this discuss would be over for the next we years anyway......

I'm not sure Walsh would be as good at ISU as his is at OSU. The reason is Gundy, he really knows how to coach QBs. We do not have anyone anywhere close to as good as him at understanding and developing the position.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'm not sure Walsh would be as good at ISU as his is at OSU. The reason is Gundy, he really knows how to coach QBs. We do not have anyone anywhere close to as good as him at understanding and developing the position.
If ther is no change here the next two games, as in improvement, I would love to see Mess get demoted and get a new OC and QB coach.... I agree the play calling and WR play are a big part of these problems, too.....

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I went back and watched a couple games. JB has flashes of greatness, but it's just not consistent. Take for example the Kansas St. game. He was making things happen with his feet, and his passes were "good enough" on short out routes, etc. when it was not a must-pass situation. The problem is when he's in a situation where he must pass; tight 1-on-1 coverage leads to those bizarre passes to nowhere (in the dirt or 5 feet over the WR's head).

Maybe Barnett can develop more in that area? He is only a sophomore...

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
The biggest difference between Steele and David Ash is that Ash has been getting pass protection all year, and has NFL receivers to throw to.

David Ash isn't that great, but you are dreaming if you think Steele is that good. Steele has missed so many easy throws this year that it makes me want to puke. I actually think JB is better at hitting recievers >15 yards out, despite the fact that JB's arm isn't as strong.

And if you guys don't understand how a good QB can make an o-line look better (and a bad qb can make them look worse), you haven't watched very much football.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
I do NOT think that Jantz is universally responsible. I have said many times that the dropped passes by our wide-outs have been aweful. But that doesn't mean that Steele can't be playing aweful as well.

I do think people have been way too hard on the O-line though. I think the pass blocking has been good enough and the run game has been good if you consider the fact that the defenses play the run, because they know we can't beat them with the pass.

Help Support Us

Become a patron