First Chicago Maid-Rite opens in Lincoln Park

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
The area’s very first Maid-Rite just opened Saturday in Lincoln Park. Franchisee Rob Svendsen, a former trader and financial advisor, says he was looking for something to do in the next phase of his life, and decided Chicago needed a branch of the iconic Iowa chain known for loose-meat sandwiches. “I didn’t do any significant, quantifiable research,†Svendsen says. “I was born in Galesburg, [Ill.], and they had a Maid-Rite in Galesburg that I would visit when I visited my grandmother. I couldn’t believe that there wasn’t already one in Chicago, that there had never been one.â€
He chose the DePaul-area location because it’s a 10-minute walk from his home and his kids’ schools.
Maid-Rite’s signature sandwich features braised, seasoned ground beef on a proprietary sweet bun, topped with ketchup, mustard, onion and pickle, with variations including cheese-topped versions. “Purists won’t put ketchup or cheese on it,†Svendsen says.
The menu also offers Iowa-style breaded pork tenderloin and pulled pork sandwiches, seasoned fries, salads, soft-serve ice cream, milkshakes and breakfast items, among other fare. This location, at 2429 N. Lincoln, will be the first to serve smoked in-house baby back ribs, another Iowa favorite.
First Chicago Maid-Rite opens in Lincoln Park - Chicago Sun-Times

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I don't get why so many people like Maid-Rite. Personally, they are way overpriced for what you get.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Not a fan really but if it catches on with the DePaul students, then they gotta real shot at success.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
But will they serve ketchup? If they do, Marshalltowners will murder the staff in their sleep.

Nov 11, 2011
Cyclone pictures included in the decor. Owner is a Bama alum so recognizes and appreciates the significance of last years win vs the Cowboys. Great food and hoping this is a big success.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The one in marshalltown should be the model. We have one in Johnston and it's totally different (not in a good way). The circular counter, the customer service, the small town feel, etc.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
But will they serve ketchup? If they do, Marshalltowners will murder the staff in their sleep.

What is it with people not allowing you to eat a sandwich how you might like it? Probably won't allow kethcup here in Chicago with the Maid Rite either, if that's tradition. There are a couple hot dog places that don't serve ketchup because you aren't supposed to eat ketchup on a hot dog. It's a hot dog, or a meat sandwitch, we aren't talking dry aged prime beef here, which, imho, if you pay $40 for a steak, you should be able to eat it however the **** you want as well.

I understand the whole "True flavor" thing, but seriously, if you like ketchup, you should be able to eat it.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
What is it with people not allowing you to eat a sandwich how you might like it? Probably won't allow kethcup here in Chicago with the Maid Rite either, if that's tradition. There are a couple hot dog places that don't serve ketchup because you aren't supposed to eat ketchup on a hot dog. It's a hot dog, or a meat sandwitch, we aren't talking dry aged prime beef here, which, imho, if you pay $40 for a steak, you should be able to eat it however the **** you want as well.

I understand the whole "True flavor" thing, but seriously, if you like ketchup, you should be able to eat it.

Chicago dogs don't have ketchup on them you heathen.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Chicago dogs don't have ketchup on them you heathen.

Chicago Dogs may not have ketchup on them, mine do. I like ketchup on a Hot Dog, it tastes better.

the funniest part of that whole argument is the hot dog itself. Almost everyone in Chicago serves a beef hot dog. Real hot dogs aren't beef they are pork.