Steele Jantz...

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Yep, had some really good moments. Had that one sack where he went wayyyy back, and the one pass that was just a bit high and got picked, but other than that I liked most of what he showed yesterday.
Hope our screen plays get better though if we are gonna keep using them as much as it looks like we will - just some work on blocking and we should be able to move the ball even better.

cobraclone71

Jan 3, 2011
yeah.png

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
He did look good for the most part. A couple of the sacks, he had absolutely no chance. The high throw, then pick wasn't that good of a pass. Made some good plays running also. Off to a good start!

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I think others have said it in other threads but it looks like they have got him thinking about making a pass before just bolting for it.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Yep, had some really good moments. Had that one sack where he went wayyyy back, and the one pass that was just a bit high and got picked, but other than that I liked most of what he showed yesterday.Hope our screen plays get better though if we are gonna keep using them as much as it looks like we will - just some work on blocking and we should be able to move the ball even better.
I was starting to worry that we were going to the well once too often with the wide receiver screens. I figured that either Tulsa was going to jump the play and get a pick 6 or Steele was going to pump fake and our receiver would blow past the Dback for a wide open touchdown. But I know we were just taking what the defense was giving us and I like that approach much more than what Herman was trying to do last year. It will be interesting to see how Iowa tries to defend it. I bet they try to press our receivers more and force us to throw more vertical.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd say overall he looked good, not great, but good. The interception was his fault, but he did throw a real nice ball to Lenz on the TD. Showed pretty good decision making on the read option most times too.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
What looked the same about Steele though was him throwing the ball about 12" above his receiver's helmet over and over. It was so aggravating. And we were so lucky his one long pass for a touchdown wasn't picked. He threw that one off of his front @&$#ing foot again.

But the kid showed a new poise in the pocket I hadn't seen before and he didn't try forcing throws. I honestly have to say I'd have loved to have seen him take off running a couple of times as he really had some opportunity there. But he did a nice job and it was great to see some improvement there.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yep, Steele had an excellent overall game and showed a ton of improvement from last year. He looked like a rookie with very little Big XII experience last year and used his legs to basically run away from everyone. Yesterday, he looked like a very poised senior quarterback and played very well.

However, he still needs some more experience in the more detailed part of the game. Mainly he took several sacks that were basically depending on him because they were bringing pressure. He's got to see that and either check out of the play or know he has very little time and go a hot receiver. I think the coaches will show him that and expect to see even better play from his the rest of the year.

Cloned

SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
I was ok with him taking those sacks. We did a poor job of picking up the blitz and last year Jantz would have thrown those balls up for grabs. Sack is better than interception. I would guess doing a better job with the blitz will be an emphasis this week.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
As a guy who thought Barnett gave us a better chance based on last year's performance, I though Jantz played really well. He hit the short throws he'll need to in order for this offense to work. His long ball is still really, really good. He made good decisions on the zone reads (I though Tulsa was really working to contain this all game and it still worked pretty well). A few questionable decisions on the long sacks when he should have just thrown it away, but I thought Tulsa did a good job keeping him contained on the edges - I'm not sure if he would have made it outside the tackle box to throw it into the stands. There weren't any throws that I remember where no one was within 10 yards. One int off a tipped ball. It was thrown a bit high (a few others missed high as well) but most of the time that tipped ball hits the turf. 71% completion percentage with a couple of TDs. If our WR blocking gets better, those bubble screens will start going for 7-12 yards instead of 3-7 yards. I was very impressed with Jantz's offseason improvement today, and if we can continue to improve we could surprise a lot of people this year.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
He looked much more poised and just overall more comfortable than he ever did last season. Looking forward to his continued development throughout the season. Also looked much quicker running the ball, I really liked the pace the offense played with yesterday.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I was ok with him taking those sacks. We did a poor job of picking up the blitz and last year Jantz would have thrown those balls up for grabs. Sack is better than interception. I would guess doing a better job with the blitz will be an emphasis this week.
Absolutely. Except for Steele's quick throw to our tight end, we did not respond well to the blitz. That's supposed to be one of the differences in Iowa's defensive philosophy this year - they will blitz more and press the receivers more instead of just trying to keep the ball in front of them. We better be ready for that on Saturday.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
He still needs to work on his decision making. A couple of times he was looking for e big play on 3rd down when the yardage for first down was available. But it was better than last year. If he can improve that, it could get good this year.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I think steele played excellent, he does have to get some of the throws down a bit but he will watch the tape and make adjustments... He made plays when they needed to be made... More importantly he had command of the offense, I was impressed with his poise and composure... And that was with the blocking not being what it needed to be... We need better blocking all around especially on the outside for those bubble screens...

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
My only quibble with SJ's performance was the fact that he ran backwards 10 yards on two or three busted plays. On the one hand he has the "escapability" to make that work sometimes, on the other hand those are drive killers a majority of the time. Step up in the pocket, throw it out of bounds, or just eat it.

That said, I thought he played a really good game. Decision making seemed faster and more definitive than last year.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If I were an opposing team, I'd blitz the snot out of us. I have yet to see us burn anyone when we are pressured. Rutgers had a field day doing this against us and it seemed Tulsa did the same. Not sure whey they didn't do it more.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
If I were an opposing team, I'd blitz the snot out of us. I have yet to see us burn anyone when we are pressured. Rutgers had a field day doing this against us and it seemed Tulsa did the same. Not sure whey they didn't do it more.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least a couple times we burned them on blitzes. One was to Brun for 8-10 yards and a first down.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I agree, but what I would like him to have done would be to either throw it away, or just sit and take the sack. He ran back 10 yards a couple times and got sacked. If you try to escape like that you have to throw it away. Other than that I thought he did really well.

And from what I saw that pick I blamed the TE more than Steele. It might have been high but it looked like it was very catchable.