*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why would ND turn the Big 10 down and 2 years later join the ACC? I know the landscape has changed but that is a huge step down. No matter what the Big 10 pays one hell of a lot more than the ACC.

Why would the Big 12 wait on ND? You can invite Clem and FSU and if ND then wants in go invite another school to even things up.

The powers that be know what is going on. You just cannot go announce different things before you are sure all the legal things are taken care of.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
What i meant is, nothing will be happening for 2013 season, earliest would be 2014.

6m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
There is hope ND will announce a renewal of their contract with NBC before the 8/15 deadline. If that happens Luck and company will move.

9m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
I've done the best I can folks. I've been way over my head but it's not from lack of effort.

11m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
Some factions in the B12 were opposed to expansion and the problems it gave with divisions.

12m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
ND shouldn't be blameless. Bowlsby is too smart to think ND would join without some assurance from ND. ND may just be an excuse.

21m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
The B12 may have just passed on their only chance to add two premier college football programs. FSU is willing to come in 2014. Unlikely.

23m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
@Ringneck85 it's not FSU's or Clemeson's fault. They have been ready for a month.

38m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
Again. Before you go on a Texas witch hunt ask your school how they could sit on there hands.

40m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
FSU was the pick at 11. Bowlsby and Dodds wanted ND at 12.

41m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
There is still a small window if ND declares their independence quickly and Bowlsby moved on.

48m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
Every day the B12 tarries gives Swofford the chance to solidify support at FSU & CU.

50m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
I've been trying to find out why invitations have not been sent out and time and time again the answer is ND.

51m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
FSU, Clemson and a few others in the ACC are ready to jump but for some reason the B12 waits on ND.

54m The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
I was all set to blame Texas but the truth is all 10 members are at fault.

The Dude is off his rocker. Clemson and FSU are waiting on ND to decide if they are going to the ACC. Clemson and FSU are not waiting on the B12. ND is holding the cards during this go-around. If ND goes all in or partial to the ACC and ESPN ups the ante as a result, Clemson and FSU may stay put. It's not that hard to figure out.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The dude is just getting crazier and crazier. He is right in that any pass would be a 10 member decision (including TCU and WVU), but I'm guessing he's all wet on all of this.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Thedude, for what its worth, is pretty much saying that the big 12 ****ed up and nothing will likely be happening at least by the 2013 season.

I have a hard time believing any definitive statement made off of complete conjecture.

Frankly, none of us have any god damn clue as to how serious things were, how close FSU/Clemson were to jumping, why they didn't, and what not. Perhaps we sat on our hands because ESPN told us they wouldn't increase our pay outs that much w/out Notre Dame?

There's nothing inherently unstable about 10 teams if no one wants to leave. The Big 12 was previously unstable at 10 because it had two very unstable members who wanted to leave ASAP. I look around the league and I don't see any school with a potentially better option out there. If they all like 10, and are being well compensated for it, I don't see any reason to add because 12 is some magic number.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I have a hard time believing any definitive statement made off of complete conjecture.

Frankly, none of us have any god damn clue as to how serious things were, how close FSU/Clemson were to jumping, why they didn't, and what not. Perhaps we sat on our hands because ESPN told us they wouldn't increase our pay outs that much w/out Notre Dame?

There's nothing inherently unstable about 10 teams if no one wants to leave. The Big 12 was previously unstable at 10 because it had two very unstable members who wanted to leave ASAP. I look around the league and I don't see any school with a potentially better option out there. If they all like 10, and are being well compensated for it, I don't see any reason to add because 12 is some magic number.

The facts remain that FSU (according to sports business analysts) stands to make more money in the Big XII than the ACC, correct? Furthermore, the FSU AD is currently in the red PLUS Florida is earning money (and gaining more exposure in FL) with thier Sun Sports deal. These are the facts as I understand them.

Also, if FSU were to join one of the Big Four conferences their chances of landing in a four team playoff are better than if they remained in the ACC. Is that correct?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Its funny how the emotions of this topic swing so fast. A week ago, we were ready for a FSU and CU to join and ND playing a rotating schedule throughout the big 12.

Step away for a couple months and lets see where we are at.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The facts remain that FSU (according to sports business analysts) stands to make more money in the Big XII than the ACC, correct? Furthermore, the FSU AD is currently in the red PLUS Florida is earning money (and gaining more exposure in FL) with thier Sun Sports deal. These are the facts as I understand them.

Also, if FSU were to join one of the Big Four conferences their chances of landing in a four team playoff are better than if they remained in the ACC. Is that correct?

I don't really think this is true. Look at a team like Boise or TCU that would have made a 4-team playoff in recent years despite being in some of the weakest conferences. If FSU was in the Big 12, I think they'd have to win the conference to get in most years, and that would always be difficult. Money is the only advantage.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don't really think this is true. Look at a team like Boise or TCU that would have made a 4-team playoff in recent years despite being in some of the weakest conferences. If FSU was in the Big 12, I think they'd have to win the conference to get in most years, and that would always be difficult. Money is the only advantage.

I suppose you're right. I'm just wondering if there is a selection committee how FSU gets one of the four spots if they were the ACC champ but had a conference loss and a loss to UF and/or Miami? It seems to me that if Pac champ USC had a loss to ND and a conference loss to Oregon they'd jump FSU based on conference schedule strength?

Also, I'm not totally sure that BSU or TCU would have made a four team playoff with a selection committee involved...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The new playoff format is worse for the lesser conferences than it is for individual teams in terms of getting in to the playoff.

Boise State is a good example of a team who has finished top four in a conference outside the top four.

HOWEVER...the big change in my opinion is that the ACC as a football brand is now completely irrelevant unless they make a major jump in quality. They might be able to hold onto a bit of prestige if they somehow get ND to play as a full football member otherwise, in its current state of competition, it's minor league college football. One playoff appearance in the last DECADE! Even if you took top four ranked conference champs they only get two or three in the last decade depending on how you count with the MWC, Big East and WAC all matching or beating them.

Looking at top four results over the past decade, if they were to allow multiple conference bids, the Big 12 runner up would have been in as often or more than the ACC champ. Big 12 teams as a whole would have been involved over 10x as often. In the long run that results in ACC football losing ground little by little until it's a lot of large schools with good basketball.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Its funny how the emotions of this topic swing so fast. A week ago, we were ready for a FSU and CU to join and ND playing a rotating schedule throughout the big 12.

Step away for a couple months and lets see where we are at.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this would be a great thing, and I'd like to see it happen. I just don't see it as a necessity for our conference this year.

I think all of this is true, but what if the Big 12 isn't ready to jump? We'll still be making more money than the ACC next year, and we can get FSU if we need to.

What if the Big 12 ADs and Presidents talked to ESPN and ESPN said "FSU and Clemson will not increase your share per school"? I'm not saying it happened, but its plausible.

Until some kind of definitive action happens here, everything is conjecture and we have no idea what is or isn't true, regarding what a certain school or conference is thinking.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Also, I'm not totally sure that BSU or TCU would have made a four team playoff with a selection committee involved...

BINGO! Selection committee = screwing teams over for cash

The BCS ranking is as accurate, fair and impartial as you're going to get. The problem has never been with the BCS standings, but the two team playoff they create. I can see why the AP does not want to be involved, but the only way it could be better is if it was a pure 50/50 AP/computer average split.

Computer polls have helped out teams like Boise State, TCU and Utah by pointing out the reality that their schedules are often no different or even harder than ACC and Big East football teams. Computer polls also convey the truth that the Big 12 playing 9 games makes running the table A LOT harder than in the SEC as evidence by the entire Big 12 having tougher SOS than the SEC last year going into bowl play.

A Big 12 fan who favors a selection committee over the BCS ranking (and I know this includes commissioners and ADs) is severely misguided, unless we're planning on scrapping 9 game schedules and then it's not quite as big of a deal.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
BINGO! Selection committee = screwing teams over for cash

The BCS ranking is as accurate, fair and impartial as you're going to get.

Maybe the committee wouldn't work but I think it's worked pretty well in basketball. I think the computers and polls having Stanford over Oregon at #4 in the BCS standings last year is a clear example of the BCS system not working for selecting playoff teams.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The year to strike for expansion is this year. Next year the ACC may be more viable. I suspect that the SEC is working behind the scenes to pick up two more ACC schools.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The year to strike for expansion is this year. Next year the ACC may be more viable. I suspect that the SEC is working behind the scenes to pick up two more ACC schools.

For some reason I get the feeling that the Big 12 and the SEC are working together behind the scenes to coordinate their moves. One day Big 12 picks up Clemson, Florida state and the next day Virginia Tech and North Carolina get SEC invitations.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
For some reason I get the feeling that the Big 12 and the SEC are working together behind the scenes to coordinate their moves. One day Big 12 picks up Clemson, Florida state and the next day Virginia Tech and North Carolina get SEC invitations.
This is what I believe too. The WVUdude or whatever he is needs to STFU. He probably isn't helping at all if his posts get a lot of publicity.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You never know who has any substance to their statements on realignment, but if this is true I think I'd give the B12 a facepalm.

The bolded part is key. This guy hasn't been right about anything yet. I don't know why he has so much credibility by the internet masses. He's been making predictions and posts about FSU and Clemson for awhile now and none of it has panned out.

Plus, the Big 12 doesn't need to move right now. If the SEC offers any two ACC schools, they're gone. We keep hearing about the 14 team schedule being a nightmare. When this happens, the Big 12 will be next in line to get the teams they want (FSU and Clemson) without being the bad guy.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I am of the opinion that July 1 needs to pass before anything could be even attempted. How can these momentous decisions even be voted on before TCU and WVU are full fledged voting members of the Big 12 conference. They could give their opinion, but what if they change their mind? Can they be legally bound to a conference they are not a member of? Aren't MU and TAM technically still members until the end of the month? This is all too complicated as it is, at least until after July 1.

Reactions: CycloneErik
Status
Not open for further replies.