Not open for further replies.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Dude is full of crap on this one. I don't know why he doesn't mention the obvious, FSU and Clemson are going to wait on ND's decision regarding the ACC before they make any move. It simple to figure that out and he doesn't mention it at all.

Not to mention that the Big 12 is still in a weird transition phase until July 1st. Missouri and A&M are still technically members and TCU and WVU are not. We also have a waiting commissioner.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Nobody can give me a good reason for the conference to expand other than 'its not stable'.
We want a championship game? That could burn us with a selection committee playoff now. More money? Not as guaranteed as it may be discussed - ask SEC.
WVU needs a buddy in out East? Ummmm ok

I'm sorry.... I like 10 a lot..... Status quo is a very good option.

I agree completely with this. I would love to stay at 10.

IMO, the only reason to change is if there is some rule that requires a Championship game. (How better to prove a champion than to play every team?) or if for some reason TV contracts start to balloon for other conferences because they have expanded to 14 and 16 teams and leave the Big 12 behind. In the end, the only real national brand we have is Texas. Everyone else, eve OU for the most part, is more local or at best regional.

If neither of these become a factor, then to expand for the sake fo expansion seems crazy to me. If we are competetive from a money standpoint to each team, then 10 is as viable as any other number.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Dude is full of crap on this one. I don't know why he doesn't mention the obvious, FSU and Clemson are going to wait on ND's decision regarding the ACC before they make any move. It simple to figure that out and he doesn't mention it at all.

It is pretty obvious to everyone but "The Dude" that nothing major is going to happen again until the playoff selection process is nailed down and ND figures out what it's doing in FB and other sports.

Even if ND didn't exist, it's a silly time to make a conference move right before a new playoff structure is cemented.

I'll be shocked if ND doesn't try to just make the ACC its new Big East. I also wouldn't be surprised if the TV powers don't say that ND basketball and one ND football game a year don't do much to boost the TV package that would then be getting divided 14 or 15 ways I'm guessing. For ND it doesn't matter, they'd be an new partial ACC whether there are ACC defections or not.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
The Dude is a moron. Conferences don't extend an invite...an invite is solicited. Semantics, I know. But to infer the Big 12 would send an invite is ignorant.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The Dude is a moron. Conferences don't extend an invite...an invite is solicited. Semantics, I know. But to infer the Big 12 would send an invite is ignorant.

well.. depends how you define 'invite'. if by invite you mean 'big 12 members have agreed that they would be accepted and to unofficially let them know that any application for membership would be approved' then yes, conferences invite. Publicly it 'appears' that the schools all apply for conference membership, but its almost always a foregone conclusion by the time they reach that point.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I agree he's a moron, but I do think conferences reach out that they would invite someone if they were interested.

It seems like Beebe did that with Arkansas and it made the Big 12 look bad, like pretty much everything else he did. The only way the FSU/Clemson thing will look that bad is if two Big 12 teams join the ACC :confused:

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
It's not just the dude reporting this all over....though he seems the most emotional about it lately. Swaim and TuxedoYoda are all over it to.... Maybe with a more reasonable tone. The dude seems to feel that WVU will reconsider joining the big 12 now which really kills his credibility.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Alright fanatics, some of us claimed FSU, Clemson, ND, and others wouldn't announce or seek new conference alignment until the new playoff structure is announced. This is how I see it now. Conference championship doesn't mean you are automatically in the new playoffs. Therefore ND does not need a conference for football. The ACC's last hope was that they could scoop up ND for all sports (including football) and renegotiate their TV contract in order to give more to FSU and Clemson. Now that that is off the table, FSU and Clemson either stay put with mediocre revenue or join the Big 12 with a dramatic increase in revenue. My best guess is we see some realignment whether it involves FSU and Clemson or not due to today's news.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Another question is if BIG does play games with Pac 12 and not ND for nonconference, who will ND play to keep up its SOS. Playing ACC would be a flop. Maybe partnering with B12 or SEC is their only choice if they want to be ranked #4 in the country to make the playoffs.

Frankly the pairing of Pac 12 with BiG and SEC with B12 tells me it is all connived to ace out the ACC and independents.

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
Alright fanatics, some of us claimed FSU, Clemson, ND, and others wouldn't announce or seek new conference alignment until the new playoff structure is announced. This is how I see it now. Conference championship doesn't mean you are automatically in the new playoffs. Therefore ND does not need a conference for football. The ACC's last hope was that they could scoop up ND for all sports (including football) and renegotiate their TV contract in order to give more to FSU and Clemson. Now that that is off the table, FSU and Clemson either stay put with mediocre revenue or join the Big 12 with a dramatic increase in revenue. My best guess is we see some realignment whether it involves FSU and Clemson or not due to today's news.

+1....now that it as been approved watch out for realigment talk all summer. Go Clones !

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It's not just the dude reporting this all over....though he seems the most emotional about it lately. Swaim and TuxedoYoda are all over it to.... Maybe with a more reasonable tone. The dude seems to feel that WVU will reconsider joining the big 12 now which really kills his credibility.

When have either Swaim or TuxedoYoda been right about anything?

Swaim has the credibility of a televangelist, and TuxedoYoda just seems like a normal guy with a connection or two.

C

CyBer

If it happens it will happen soon I think, though I don't know if it's going to happen. And I for one am fine with staying at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.