Another New Commitment-Zach Guyer

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
What tells you we aren't going to get Mahoney as well. We need more than one kicker, if we don't have anyone like Gene pretty much said mid-season we better go out and bring in at least 3 or 4 guys. 2 schollys and 2 preffered walk-ons! The more competition the better, and it became pretty clear by Gene's statements that Mahoski prolly isn't the guy!

Actually, I hope you're right. As much as I'd hate to have more schollies wrapped up in kickers, I think it's the biggest hit or miss area in recruiting and something we can't afford to screw up.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Only my two cents worth and I have not seen either kick in person but when someone runs a camp like this and a player is one of the best performers you will always really talk them up. But the thing to remember is that this is a very small sample set to work off of. It is most likely a day or a few days of performance they are looking at. You can never know all the things happening in the recruiting process but I have gotten the impression that Guyer really wants to be a Cyclone and the staff has been high on him for quite awhile now.

I only looked at a few, but the FG video clips I saw on Kohl's site all showed guys kicking off a tee like in hs. I would be skeptical of any rankings or results that are not based off of ground level kicks. Most guys simply can't make a successful transition which makes it so difficult to evaluate kickers.

There are two things that impress me about Guyer. One is that, like HGPuck says, he wants to be a Cyclone. When the going gets tough, and it will for any kicker, he will be more likely to hang in there and not throw it in and transfer like many kickers do. The other is that Kohl mentions that he has some potential as a punter. Even if he is not the primary guy, you always need to have a backup available. He might be able to save a spot on the travel roster.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Re: Another New Commitment

As for Maurice Gray, anyone know what time he is announcing today? *keep your fingers crossed Cyclones*

Is Gray going to transfer right away to whichever school he chooses or does he have to wait till summer?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hope you are right Bryce although I heard Chiz say in one of his pressers that he had no idea how to evaluate a HS kicker. Said you take a chance and keep your finger's crossed, but I suppose that goes for every recruit.

There are a ton of head coaches that don't know how to evaluate a kicker. That's why they employ Special Teams coaches who DO know how to evaluate a kicker.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Guys a couple of things you need to realize here:

1) Guyer tore his ACL before his junior year and only kicked in a couple of games I believe. Those stats from the Kohl camp were prior to this senior season I believe and don't show his progress to where he is now

2) He went down to Texas a week or two ago and was kicking off the grass. I guess he was booming kicks and looked very very good. Good enough that a couple other schools offered and Iowa State saw him as well, thus the offer.

I have seen him kick since he was a sophomore. Not only does he have a great leg but he has great heigth on his kicks. Easily the most impressive kicker I have seen in high school. I think he will be a great player for us

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I think kicker is the most important need we have to address this year. Every other position we have potential guys at, kicker up until Guyer we had absolutely nobody to do it! So yea!

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
2) He went down to Texas a week or two ago and was kicking off the grass. I guess he was booming kicks and looked very very good. Good enough that a couple other schools offered and Iowa State saw him as well, thus the offer.

What other schools have made an offer to him?

Also, I don't see any stars with his name on rivals. How come Iowa gets a 2 star recruit for kicker and we don't? I don't think just wanting to be a cyclone is enough, you gotta have what it takes to win games as a kicker.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
What other schools have made an offer to him?

Also, I don't see any stars with his name on rivals. How come Iowa gets a 2 star recruit for kicker and we don't? I don't think just wanting to be a cyclone is enough, you gotta have what it takes to win games as a kicker.

The zero stars more often than not means he hasn't been evaluated by the recruiting services. No reason to worry.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Texas Tech, San Diego St, and I believe Colorado St offered. Don't quote me on that but that is what I heard from someone close to Zac

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
When I talked to Jamie Kohl at the Letterwinners social in November he was pretty high on Guyer and thought he would be a good get for us. So I think we have done good with this one.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
What ever happened to the JC kicker w/ greencard issues? Do we still expect him for next year?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Does Guyer look like Shaggy? Long, tall, angular with a goatee? Show us a pic.

Rivals pic

ZACHGUYER8_24150.JPG

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Rivals pic

ZACHGUYER8_24150.JPG

First of all, I am an expert about recruiting (internet message board certified)! Based on Guyer's picture alone, I can tell you he will be a 1st team All-American by 2009. Guyer's neck is at least 1/4" wider than Shaggy's (not to give my secrets away but come on we are all experts right :smile:)

Last edited: