50 Major League Baseball Players to Be Named Using Steroids

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig will hold a news conference today to discuss the Mitchell Report which is being released today. Two people who are familiar with Mitchell’s investigation, and his findings, said that the report would contain the names of more than 50 active and former major league players who are linked to the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Once the link is opened, click on skip this ad to go the the report.
Link:
NY Times Advertisement

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
I've been a Pirates fan all my life. I find it pathetic that there is a good chance that some names on the list are on the Pirates team. Does that mean that they are SOOOO bad that they cheat and still can't win?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
The news conference isn't today. It's tomorrow.

Thank you for catching this error.

The Mitchell Report is being released at a press conference sheduled for 2 pm EST. Bud Selig has scheduled a press conference for 4:30 pm. Both press conferences are scheduled for THURSDAY.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think right now Selig and the other talking heads are reading the report and deciding what type of action to take. Honestly, does anyone think they're going to suspend up to 50 players if it includes the likes of ARod, Sheffield, Pujols, Bonds (well, that's the one they actually want), Fielder, Clemens, Manny etc - I'm just naming big names here...

If they suspend 20 or so big name players, then the league will make no money. I don't suspect anyone big will be suspended for any large period of time.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I can't wait for this to come out. 3+ years is a long time for a report...hopefully it has some good information.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think right now Selig and the other talking heads are reading the report and deciding what type of action to take. Honestly, does anyone think they're going to suspend up to 50 players if it includes the likes of ARod, Sheffield, Pujols, Bonds (well, that's the one they actually want), Fielder, Clemens, Manny etc - I'm just naming big names here...

If they suspend 20 or so big name players, then the league will make no money. I don't suspect anyone big will be suspended for any large period of time.

Selig has already set the precedent of 15 games for being linked to steriods but not failing a drug test. That wouldn't be a bad thing for 50 players to get suspended for 15 games IMO.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
IMO, this is great news. Now on to the NFL, NHL, NBA any other sports.

-keep

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
I think it would be more newsworthy if the report named (could name) 50 MLB players who have NOT used performance enhancing drugs.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
They're up to 1 player who hasn't, and his name is Barroid....er or Barry Bonds

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I suspect the Mets will get hammered since a former Mets bat boy cooperated with the Mitchell investigation.

The NYT states that a 50 day suspension is currently in place for those failing steroid drug tests. However, the evidence that Mitchell will use to cite players is expected to be documentary in nature — canceled checks, shipping slips, phone records — and not based on positive drug tests.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Selig has already set the precedent of 15 games for being linked to steriods but not failing a drug test. That wouldn't be a bad thing for 50 players to get suspended for 15 games IMO.

Since it is 50 players and former players, what do you want to bet it's 48 former players nobody has heard of, and 2 current players nobody cares about.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I've been a Pirates fan all my life. I find it pathetic that there is a good chance that some names on the list are on the Pirates team. Does that mean that they are SOOOO bad that they cheat and still can't win?

Isn't that what ISU tried in the '80s with criner?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Since it is 50 players and former players, what do you want to bet it's 48 former players nobody has heard of, and 2 current players nobody cares about.

The Boston Globe is reporting that 11 of the players that will be identified by the Mitchell Report are currently free agents.

I assume that reduces their marketability as a free agent.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think they are going to be pretty carefull with this whole situation. They won't name a name unless they have ALOT of proof for fear of a lawsuit. I am guessing players will be omitted and treated like those whose names came up (Glaus, Matthews, etc) but had little proof. The only ones being suspended will be the ones that have a great deal of proof.

CloneCubbie

Sep 14, 2007
Gods Country (Ames), Iowa
Ultimatly baseball is a business and i believe whole heartedly that Selig will not infact do what is best for baseball as a sport (ban, ban, & ban), but will do what is best for baseball as a business (slap on the write suspensions). Frankly, It pisses me off.

Is using steroids cheating? That's the question... some say yes. Some make the argument that it's just using technology. I personally think that it's cheating.

If you cork a bat, you are suspended a few games.
Bet on baseball, you're kicked out for life.

I just don't know where steroid use falls in line. I think it's got be a little closer to the latter of the two. So you suspend the steroid user for fifteen games... do you think that magically the steroids have cleared their system and they're back to their pre-roid state?!? Really?!? WTF is a fifteen game suspension going to do?

How about if you're caught, take a year out to think about what your priorities are. Then, if/when, you come back, you're on a regimented program of tests to make sure that you don't continue to cheat.

Okay, this post got out of hand. I apologize and I need to get back to work... arg!