50 Major League Baseball Players to Be Named Using Steroids

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree that putting a microscope on the NFL could be frightening.

I do think the NFL handles substance abuse better than any other league - but thinking the NFL is void of these problems is naive.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree that putting a microscope on the NFL could be frightening.

I do think the NFL handles substance abuse better than any other league - but thinking the NFL is void of these problems is naive.

Exactly. If you've ever saw the ESPN series PlayMakers, if that series is to be believed at all it's quite frightening what some players will due to circumvent the drug tests...

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
the nfl already has a very strict drug policy.

Are you serious?

I need only remind you of this:

whizzinator.jpg

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I suspect the Mets will get hammered since a former Mets bat boy cooperated with the Mitchell investigation.

The NYT states that a 50 day suspension is currently in place for those failing steroid drug tests. However, the evidence that Mitchell will use to cite players is expected to be documentary in nature — canceled checks, shipping slips, phone records — and not based on positive drug tests.

I just heard on ESPN that the report will recommend, amongst other things, that even circumstantial evidence should be used in handing out suspensions.

Quite interesting.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Only 50 players. All that time and money are we only get 50 names. I was thinking it would be in the 150 player range, that would be about 5 per team, or about 20% of baseball. Heck 50 players is just over 5% of the sport.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I just heard on ESPN that the report will recommend, amongst other things, that even circumstantial evidence should be used in handing out suspensions.

Quite interesting.

We saw with guys like Glaus and Matthews that it will take alot of evidence to suspend without a test. I imagine they won't name guys unless they have enough ammo to suspend. You don't want 50 defamation suits on your hands...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Who are the heroes in baseball?

First, Pete Rose with the most hits and gambling. Then Barry Bonds with the most homeruns and the clear/roids. At this rate next it will be Roger Clemons with hundreds of pitching victories and HGH.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Exactly. If you've ever saw the ESPN series PlayMakers, if that series is to be believed at all it's quite frightening what some players will due to circumvent the drug tests...

I was just pointing out that they DO have a drug policy. In fact they had one LONG before the MLB did. If the MLB adopted the NFL policy they wouldn't be facing the release of a report that names players tomorrow.

I am not naive... I realize that the NFL has its own drug problems, but they are much more manageable with a strict substance abuse policy.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Cracking down on steroid use is good and long overdue, but I think naming names is a joke as there is likely another several hundred players that used in the last 15 plus years and won't be named. I'm sure it would be the same in pro and d-1 college football, and I don't think a lot of us would want to know the names. A lot of owners, athletic directors and coaches have looked the other way until recently, but I'm sure we won't hear any of their names.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've been a Pirates fan all my life. I find it pathetic that there is a good chance that some names on the list are on the Pirates team. Does that mean that they are SOOOO bad that they cheat and still can't win?

Neifi Perez got caught and he's terrible so if he is doing them then anyone is fair game I'm sure. I think we are about to be shocked of who actually is juiced. I'm sure some former MVP's and All-Stars are going to be on that list.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
The NY Times is also claiming that MVP's and Cy Young Award receipients will be named. It speculates that both Clemons and Petite will be named.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
First of all, players in all sports have moved on from Steroids to more advanced drugs that are either on the no-testing list in their CBA or are currently undetectable with the testing that is being used at present. It's become just like track and field.

To answer a question someone had earlier that I don't think was answered...yes, Mitchell is on the Board of Directors for the Boston Red Sox.

Mitchell had no subpoena power so all of his evidence is basically from people that decided to "snitch".

As far as a current free agent being on the list and having his market value hurt...I don't think so...unless the suspensions are significantly longer than the 15 games that has been mentioned. You have to remember, these teams all want to make money and many want to win...they will sign any player that they think can help them make money and win...period. Why do you think baseball in the 90s didn't raise any concern with the inflation of homeruns (the first 90 years of the century there were about 10 guys that ever hit more than 50 home runs in a season and the last 10 years of the century there were about 10 guys hitting 50 home runs every year)? The answer...the homerun was increasing attendance / viewership and making them more money.

As for the NFL not having a problem with this stuff...PLEASE! I can think of two players (Shawne Merriman and Rodney Harrison) that were busted just last year right off the top of my head with no research. The difference with the NFL is that they have serious clout with their broadcast partners and they lean on them to report these things briefly and then sweep them under the rug. For those that don't believe that...I ask you to recall a short-lived series called Playmakers on ESPN...the NFL was not happy with the way the show portrayed professional football players and when several players started to say that it was very accurate in terms of portraying the lifestyles of pro football players...BAM...the NFL leans on ESPN to cancel the show, which they did.

Today, it is my understanding that ESPN is going to have a 4-6 hour "extended" SportsCenter just to cover this report. If it was a report on the NFL, ESPN would probably have about a 30 second spot on SportsCenter and that would be it...the bottom line is that their NFL relationship is so lucrative that they do not want to do anything to damage it.

With respect to this Mitchell report today I predict a couple of things...you will see that taking steroids does not automatically make you a power hitter (there will be a lot of "punch and judy" hitters on the list) and you will see that pitchers are also "juicing"...probabaly at a higher rate than position players.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I could not resist checking the specific stats on home runs that I mentioned earlier. Check this out:

From the inception of Major League Baseball through 1989, 50 HRs in a season had been accomplished 17 times by 10 different players. Only 17 times in 113 years!

Since 1990, 50 HRs in a season has been accomplished 24 times by 15 different players (including the likes of Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez). 24 times in only 17 years!

From the inception of Major League Baseball through 1997, 60 HRs in a season had been accomplished 2 times. Only 2 times in 121 years!

Since 1998, 60 HRs in a season has been accomplished 6 times. 6 times in only 9 years!

Clone Fan

Mar 27, 2006
Ames, IA
per ESPN radio, Clemens to be named on Mitchell list

along with several other Yankees. Yankee trainer advised Mitchell that he supplied Clemens with steriods.

this is going to be an interesting day

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I could not resist checking the specific stats on home runs that I mentioned earlier. Check this out:

From the inception of Major League Baseball through 1989, 50 HRs in a season had been accomplished 17 times by 10 different players. Only 17 times in 113 years!

Since 1990, 50 HRs in a season has been accomplished 24 times by 15 different players (including the likes of Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez). 24 times in only 17 years!

From the inception of Major League Baseball through 1997, 60 HRs in a season had been accomplished 2 times. Only 2 times in 121 years!

Since 1998, 60 HRs in a season has been accomplished 6 times. 6 times in only 9 years!

Some of this has to be attributed to changes in diet, work outs, and ball parks. Granted, there is ALOT of illegal technology at work but even 20 years ago people thought Nolan Ryan was crazy for being a pitcher and lifting weights.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
It's being rumored that that it will be a very bad day for the Yankees...supposedly they have more players on the list than any other team.

Lots of smoke around Clemens, Petitte, and of course Giambi and Sheffield.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
Re: per ESPN radio, Clemens to be named on Mitchell list

No way the Red Sox get hammered, Mitchell is on the board of the Red Sox, kind of a conflict of interests there.