WR blocking

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Just wondering if anyone knows how the younger WRs are at blocking? Money and Darks were both great blockers on the outside, which is important for a team that throws alot of screen passes. Those 2 were responsible for some nice short passes being turned into big gains. Hope the youngens are being taught how to be effective blockers. Daniels is a pretty big dude, so I could see him knocking some DBs on their keesters!

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
They were pretty good, except Money got a lot of holding penalties last year.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Just wondering if anyone knows how the younger WRs are at blocking? Money and Darks were both great blockers on the outside, which is important for a team that throws alot of screen passes. . . . Daniels is a pretty big dude, so I could see him knocking some DBs on their keesters!

And Ernst Brun. JB says he regards EB as a big receiver rather than a tight end, he's so athletic. But, thought we read earlier this spring that EB, over the past school year, has become a strong blocker.

Daniels and Brun, at times, on the field at the same time? Maybe on screens and bubble passes? Would this work, or be too obvious to an opposing defense?

Heck, couldn't either one be regarded as a great fit at H back? (Might we use an H back out of the spread?)

Hey, maybe they'll become our version of the New England Patriots great tight end duo? Slap some Patriots' offensive game out there? . . .

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
And Ernst Brun. JB says he regards EB as a big receiver rather than a tight end, he's so athletic. But, thought we read earlier this spring that EB, over the past school year, has become a strong blocker.

Daniels and Brun, at times, on the field at the same time? Maybe on screens and bubble passes? Would this work, or be too obvious to an opposing defense?

Heck, couldn't either one be regarded as a great fit at H back? (Might we use an H back out of the spread?)

Hey, maybe they'll become our version of the New England Patriots great tight end duo? Slap some Patriots' offensive game out there? . . .

You bring up a good point. We have some talent on the team, but they are a distinct group. Good TE (presumably) and good RBs that will get involved in the pass game. Hopefully we can mix in some screens and PA passes this year more than last. Im not sure we threw a screen to our RBs last year..

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ

I'd be okay with that... Maybe a Gronk or something.

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
Our downfield blocking by our WRs was a strength last year. I hope we continue it.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
I guess it's a good thing we didn't throw to the RB much last year. James would have probably been covered in that OT touchdown pass against OSU.

CycloneRoss

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2010
It's a bad thing when we called our wr blocking a strength of the corps last year.. Our receivers need to work on a lot of things still, even blocking still.

I know, but it is still great to see receivers, who may be struggling, still making the efforts to throw a block.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
It's a bad thing when we called our wr blocking a strength of the corps last year.. Our receivers need to work on a lot of things still, even blocking still.
With the stone hands that WR corp had last year...at least they were moderately sufficient at something...

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Must be a time warp. I could have sworn that the "stone hands" were in '10!

10 and 11. Both really bad years.

I dont know how consistent he is.... but I was surprised on many occasions how well Jarvis blocked down field.