DM Register and Squawks

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Does anyone else read the Registers' website. There is NOTHING about last night's Iowa game. Is there anything in the hard copy today?

I guess they listened to thier mother when she said " If you can't say something nice abouth someone than don't say anything." There was NOTHING nice to say about that game.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It is kind of odd, considering the game was over long before ISU's and there is a story up for the ISU game.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I just noticed that; maybe the Register is ashamed of their baby :biglaugh:

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006
Does anyone else read the Registers' website. There is NOTHING about last night's Iowa game. Is there anything in the hard copy today?

I guess they listened to thier mother when she said " If you can't say something nice abouth someone than don't say anything." There was NOTHING nice to say about that game.

Is this what you're looking for?

Men's basketball: Hawkeyes bow in their own tournament | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

It was up last night, but it wasn't very interesting.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006

Yes, there is something about the Hawks in my paper. Since, the Iowa State game got over at 12:30, I was shocked that they had a decent write up about the Iowa State game.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Paper has a nice big picture of Licksticker hiding his eyes while watching his pukes. Classic.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Paper has a nice big picture of Licksticker hiding his eyes while watching his pukes. Classic.

Was it this one?

573326.jpg

cyclonedcm

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Alfredo left EIU in a mess... although Tyler Smith is a nice addition to Tennessee, but I think Tyler was gone whether Dingleberry stayed or not.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The Rag misses Alfraud.

Hellsbells jonsey everyone misses steve all-fraud...old steve baby was and is easy pickings for opposing coaches.

Maybe the des moines rag er locust street liar is just giving good parental discipline to their baby er the squawkeyes!!:biglaugh:

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
It's too bad Lickliter wasn't our head coach last nigh soley for headline purposes.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm telling ya, the more I observe Lickliter, the more I think he's going to struggle at Iowa and would rather be back at Butler.

The guy had to know their season was going to be a long one. If not, he's a horrible evaluator of talent.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Lick has said many times that he's aware this is going to be a tough season. He has said publicly that he doesn't believe this team is short on talent, but if he recognizes that the players currently on the roster are not equipped to play his sort of ball - which is take a lot of 3 point shots. I mean, look at the team, how many players can consistantly make a three pointer? Johnson? That's it.

I don't understand why after 8 games everybody thinks he's going to flop at Iowa. The team is having major growing pains, but at times they really show some great promise. For example, last night for 30 minutes of the game, they were playing some of their best basketball of the season - then they played their worst 10 minutes of the season and lost to a bad ULM team.

How is what Lick is doing any different than what Chizik is doing with the ISU football team? Everybody claims that when Mac left, their was no talent on the team, and that Chizik was working with in a very difficult situation. Yet even after bad losses and rare signs of improvement, ISU fans are optimistic after the season because of wins over CU and KSU.

I would agree that there is cause for optimism with the ISU football program, as well as the Iowa basketball program. Lick is frustrated right now, but at least he's starting to get his players to play emotional ball. I'd take a 5-9 win season without Alford and the knowledge that Lick is building a program anytime.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Did I say flop? Nope. Just not a fan of his coaching - seems to get way too frustrated at the first sign of trouble.

There are many coaching tactics that are used and a wide variety are successful. So I'm not hooked on G-Mac's ways.

Yet I rarely see guys that "pout" on the sidelines do well.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't think it's far enough into the year for Hawk fans to be comparing their sense of "hope" to ISU fans' hope with the Cyclone football team. I think right now they're trying to convince themselves that just because Alford is gone, their team will eventually be better and play harder. I'd think that if the Hawks played hard the whole game last night they'd come out on top of a team like that. I guess I'm saying that when you turn the ball over close to 30 times, how is that playing "smart" or "harder"? Not saying they won't "get it" eventually but the team looks the same as Alford's, only with less talent.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I don't think it's far enough into the year for Hawk fans to be comparing their sense of "hope" to ISU fans' hope with the Cyclone football team. I think right now they're trying to convince themselves that just because Alford is gone, their team will eventually be better and play harder. I'd think that if the Hawks played hard the whole game last night they'd come out on top of a team like that. I guess I'm saying that when you turn the ball over close to 30 times, how is that playing "smart" or "harder"? Not saying they won't "get it" eventually but the team looks the same as Alford's, only with less talent.

And you still don't see parallels to the ISU football team?

Weren't turnovers a problem for ISU this year?

Weren't turnovers to blame for much of the problems for ISU this year?

Weren't fans upset because they thought their team lacked effort at times this year? (Texas, 1st half Colorado, Kansas, Kent State, etc...?)

Didn't ISU finally show signs of life in 3 of their last 4 games?

I mean, really, if you look at it, there are a lot of huge comparisons. Turnovers are major problems for young inexperienced teams that are learning a new system. Lick's teams (keyword LICK'S teams) averaged around 10 turnovers per game. I'm not too worried about him not being able to teach them.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
And you still don't see parallels to the ISU football team?

Weren't turnovers a problem for ISU this year?

Weren't turnovers to blame for much of the problems for ISU this year?

Weren't fans upset because they thought their team lacked effort at times this year? (Texas, 1st half Colorado, Kansas, Kent State, etc...?)

Didn't ISU finally show signs of life in 3 of their last 4 games?

I mean, really, if you look at it, there are a lot of huge comparisons. Turnovers are major problems for young inexperienced teams that are learning a new system. Lick's teams (keyword LICK'S teams) averaged around 10 turnovers per game. I'm not too worried about him not being able to teach them.

I think wonkadog is saying that you haven't shown any signs of life yet, so it's a little early to compare the two teams, which I agree with.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I think wonkadog is saying that you haven't shown any signs of life yet, so it's a little early to compare the two teams, which I agree with.

Well, I can't argue with that. There have been signs of life, but those signs are quickly eliminated by the quick hands of death.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Will this game be replayed on the Big 10 Network? This may be the first time I tune in! :wink: Not really I'd rather watch the ISU-OSU game again!:biggrin:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Southern... I think its going to be a long season for your friends out east. I think once Iowa gets back their injured guard (Freeman, I think?) they will show a little bit more fight then what they do now.

Now that being said.... Unlike Iowa, we at least won our scrub tourney with a bunch of no name teams.

It's going to be a long season for both teams. Especially if ISU is without Wesley