Does anyone wish?

GreenRocketCY

Jun 5, 2011
Western IA
I know this might sound crazy, but does anyone wish we had beaten OU instead of OSU?

It sounds bad, but we would have been nearly as excited by beating OU, and the Big 12 would have a team in the National championship game also.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
I think at this point we need to worry about our program and not the big 12. I don't think people's image of the big 12 would be different if we would have lost that game and beat Oklahoma. I think beating a number #2 team instead of a #9? seed is more important than having a big 12 team in the title game.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
No it was bigger news this way. We were the only game on and got all the coverage.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I get what you're saying but we wouldn't have had near the national exposure beating OU as we did OSU.

Yup. That's the problem. We needed to beat a top 2 team, at home, on a Friday with the whole nation watching and OSU was the only one that afforded us that opportunity this season. It sucks that our win took a great opportunity away from OSU, who is by far and away my 2nd favorite team in conference aside from ISU, but no other win would have given us with that one did, so I wouldn't have wanted OU over OSU this year.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . does anyone wish we had beaten OU instead of OSU? . . . we would have been nearly as excited by beating OU, and the Big 12 would have a team in the National championship game also.

Winning in Norman instead of Ames? Was OU a top ten team at the time? (Not a rhetorical question, I don't recall OU's ranking when we played the Sooners. Anyone?) That night in Ames was perfect. Hard to see how a win in Norman could have come close to that dreamy evening in JTS, all the various elements considered.

Might not the OSU game prove, down the road, to be the pivotal victory in CPR's rebuilding program at ISU? If so, the value of the OSU triumph will be unmatched.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not at all. While the Okie State victory may have screwed the Big 12 over in bowl money for this year, that victory has potential to payoff for ISU in many years to come...

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Not at all. While the Okie State victory may have screwed the Big 12 over in bowl money for this year, that victory has potential to payoff for ISU in many years to come...

Agreed.

This just means we can have a big win against Oklahoma at home next year. I'd hate to have too many big wins in one season!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not when OU is having a "down" year and injuries to Broyles, etc. Better to beat OSU with all their stars playing... plus at home, on national tv, only game on... not close.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I know this might sound crazy, but does anyone wish we had beaten OU instead of OSU?

It sounds bad, but we would have been nearly as excited by beating OU, and the Big 12 would have a team in the National championship game also.

All things considered, absolutely not. Not even remotely.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
No it was bigger news this way. We were the only game on and got all the coverage.

This.
Plus, Okie St is the better team and was ranked #2. OU had critical injuries and was playing very uninspired football by that time. Okie St was playing for all the marbles.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Agreed.

This just means we can have a big win against Oklahoma at home next year. I'd hate to have too many big wins in one season!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

Yeah, let's just solve the argument by beating both of them next year.

If we had beaten OU instead, it would have been played off as OU just having a terrible year. Though maybe we could ahve gotten Big Game Bob fired. That would have been a nice bonus.

If we had won at OU it would have been buried since it was a bad time slot as well.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Definitely No.
We beat No. 2 team in the nations and it's better than beating a program having a "down" year (OU)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Props to greenrocket for doing something I though impossible: asking a question resulting in unanimous response. I'd add my thoughts, but it's covered already.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
No way, OU will get theirs next year. That win was so huge for the program there is no way I'd trade it. I wouldn't trade it for any one single win. 3 maybe, it would have been nice to have been 8-4 instead of 6-6. So the only way I'd have traded it is if we could have had wins over KSU, aTm and Mizzou.

Who knows, with WVU joining the Big XII, the NY exposure might help us later down the line with getting our name out there. It would be nice to come out and lay the wood to Rutgers.

Help Support Us

Become a patron