Iowa St. Vs. Iowa.

C

CyBer

What do we know about them? They just got rocked by UNI, though I will admit that the Refs probably played into that a little bit. They aren't a very good team, but we aren't a really good "team" either. Though I think we have seen flashes of our team recently. What do you guys think? Should be a fun game.

K

KFitzy87

Hilton is gonna get a little more shiny when they take the court

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
What do we know about them? They just got rocked by UNI, though I will admit that the Refs probably played into that a little bit. They aren't a very good team, but we aren't a really good "team" either. Though I think we have seen flashes of our team recently. What do you guys think? Should be a fun game.

I would say crazy Fran had more to do with it than the refs. The refs were just responding to his antics. They were calling it close but it wasn't one-sided.

C

CyBer

Yeah but some of the calls against Iowa were like some of the calls against us......they were pretty bad and took the wind out of Iowa's sails. Fran had a reason to be upset, but maybe not as upset as he got.

Aug 14, 2009
Well, we may not have a PG either during the game, so we should both be playing without PG's. We aren't playing very well at all. Cartwright hurt, Basabe was overweight coming into the season and is just starting to play well, Gatens has gotten worse every year he's played, May shouldn't be starting as he can't drive, shoot, or guard. However, when we do have our 1 or 2 fast breaks a game, he'll get his monstrous dunk:unsure:. White and Oglesby have been our best surprises so far this year, both freshman, and both seem to have a knack for being around the ball, but neither are difference makers. Marble has really come on lately, and has been tough on his drives. With that being said, I think ISU by 14, as we haven nobody inside that can guard White; Brommer and Archie are brutal, and I'm happy they are finally seniors.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm not giving the refs credit. Fran and the Hawks just couldn't get it done.

If we want to be thought of as an average team, it needs to be a 20-point win. :smile:

I imagine they play tough for the rivalry game. At the same time, they really are terrible. We should win handily, but there will be times where it's uncomfortably close.

C

CyBer

Well, we may not have a PG either during the game, so we should both be playing without PG's. We aren't playing very well at all. Cartwright hurt, Basabe was overweight coming into the season and is just starting to play well, Gatens has gotten worse every year he's played, May shouldn't be starting as he can't drive, shoot, or guard. However, when we do have our 1 or 2 fast breaks a game, he'll get his monstrous dunk:unsure:. White and Oglesby have been our best surprises so far this year, both freshman, and both seem to have a knack for being around the ball, but neither are difference makers. Marble has really come on lately, and has been tough on his drives. With that being said, I think ISU by 14, as we haven nobody inside that can guard White; Brommer and Archie are brutal, and I'm happy they are finally seniors.

Good analysis, Hawk Basketball fans aren't nearly as annoying as hawk football fans.

I could see it being closer than 14 points, Iowa will bring it.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
ISU probably needs to focus more on executing what they want to do; just like ISU should be doing with most of the teams on the schedule.

We might see press from them this year, but really they aren't doing stuff that ISU hasn't seen this year. I would say Gatens, in his last game against ISU, is the guy you really need to control.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
He handled the situation poorly but he had a reason to be a little upset. Officiating is part of the game and calls are going to go against you sometimes.

I think Iowa State should be about 10-15 points better than Iowa at home. We are better at every position and have quality depth. If Iowa State plays a complete game, it shouldn't be close. Iowa is a 10-12 win team again this year.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They don't defend the 3 very well, from what I've seen. In their losses, their opponents are averaging nearly 9 made three pointers per game and making more than half of their 3pt attempts. That's a killer. The opportunity will be there to get Babb, Scotty, McGee, or Allen hot from deep, hopefully more than one/all of them. I'd love to see Babb come out of the shooting funk he's been in lately.

Iowa also has some trouble with talent in the post. Basabe is just not the same player he was last year. Blame it on a sophomore slump, or extra weight, or whatever, but the fact it, he just is not having the same impact on games, this year. And without Cole in the middle, the talent they have at the post is either very young, or very suspect. Getting good play from Royce and Percy will be the key to this game, in my opinion. It will force the defense to tighten up closer to the rim, giving our shooters even better opportunities.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
They are 5-4 with the 329th toughest schedule played so far (acording to Ken Pomeroy)

That's probably all that needs to be said.

Their best win so far (again according to kenpom) is against #242 IUPU - Fort Wayne.

That said, it's a rivalry game, they have talent and if we don't bring intensity and effort we could easily lose.

Aug 14, 2009
They don't defend the 3 very well, from what I've seen. In their losses, their opponents are averaging nearly 9 made three pointers per game and making more than half of their 3pt attempts. That's a killer. The opportunity will be there to get Babb, Scotty, McGee, or Allen hot from deep, hopefully more than one/all of them. I'd love to see Babb come out of the shooting funk he's been in lately.

Iowa also has some trouble with talent in the post. Basabe is just not the same player he was last year. Blame it on a sophomore slump, or extra weight, or whatever, but the fact it, he just is not having the same impact on games, this year. And without Cole in the middle, the talent they have at the post is either very young, or very suspect. Getting good play from Royce and Percy will be the key to this game, in my opinion. It will force the defense to tighten up closer to the rim, giving our shooters even better opportunities.
A lot of the reason we aren't covering the three, is because May, Gatens, and Marble just aren't quick enough on Defense to stop the dribble drive, coupled with the fact that we have no inside presence to block shots, therefore causing us to sag on D really bad. We hold out hope that finally somebody isn't going to tear us apart on 3's, probably because this defense works in our practices, as nobody on our team (outside of Oglesby) can hit a three.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
What's TV for this? cyclones.com appears to be down or I'd just go there and check?

CTN - Cyclone Television Network (ABC5)

CloneZone

The AD website does list FullCourt for this game so it probably will happen for those with FullCourt (not on MC22).

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
A lot of the reason we aren't covering the three, is because May, Gatens, and Marble just aren't quick enough on Defense to stop the dribble drive, coupled with the fact that we have no inside presence to block shots, therefore causing us to sag on D really bad. We hold out hope that finally somebody isn't going to tear us apart on 3's, probably because this defense works in our practices, as nobody on our team (outside of Oglesby) can hit a three.

Sorry you had to type that. It had to hurt.
Hopefully, Fran can get some quicker guards in there to get some perimeter defense going. It is brutal to watch.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
This is a must win. If we lose to this Iowa team at Hilton.....The meltdown on here may be the worst one yet.