So who will be in the Big 12 next year?

Who will be in the Big 12 next year? Choose all that you think will be.

• Total voters

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Let's say Texas, Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Okie State, Kansas, K-State, and Iowa State are givens. That's 9.

Who of the poll options will be in the Big 12 next academic year?

Don't select who you want it to be, select who you think it will be, and explain why.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
$10M exit fee can be paid with the aTm money. Plus it is still reaqlly only $5M until the next entry by a BE new member. Will the BE be able to add anyone or will they look like the UFL.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Remember, it's a 27 month wait for any school in the Big East, unless they pay the $10 million exit fee.

If we invite say... WVU, Louisville, and Cincy to the conference, with all but 3 big east schools leaving i bet they find a way to get out of there. Talk hasnt completely died of the ACC going to 16 yet, so that could take care of another big east school or two as well.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I am a little surprised that more people believe WV will be in over Missouri. Assuming they stay I think the Big 12 goes after either Louisville or BYU. I think WV is somewhat of a long shot.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
I am a little surprised that more people believe WV will be in over Missouri. Assuming they stay I think the Big 12 goes after either Louisville or BYU. I think WV is somewhat of a long shot.

Good poll...it made me think. I don't think Missouri sticks around for a lame duck 2012. So they've GOT to add somebody, right?

BYU is too hard to accomodate. WVU is a long ways from anybody.

I think L-ville only for next year. The buyout isn't THAT steep, and maybe the Big 12 helps out in exchange for lower revenue payouts for a period of time (kind of like a loan).

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
First, I don't think BYU will end up in the Big12 as there too many issues revolving around their TV contract with ESPN and being independent (read: ESPN contract). If the Big12 and BYU do resolve their differences, then they're an automatic invite. The current situation doesn't bode well for an invite to the conference.

Louisville, geographically, is a good choice. Their FB program is decent and can improve with access to TX recruiting and Big 12 TV money, plus add a major TV market to the conference.

West Virginia adds both strong FB and MBB traditions; their following is primarily eastern (PA, WV, OH, MD, VA) which can add to the conference's TV footprint. Major athletic programs well supported.

My 'Other' is Tulane. Chuck Neinas mentioned them as an expansion candidate. Good academics (AAU member), mediocre FB and occasionally decent MBB. Located in another major TV market in the south in a state rich in FB and MBB recruits. Lots of potential to rise with Big 12 TV money.

There is my three minus BYU. If the situation with BYU improves, then sub BYU for WVU.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
According to analysis by the NY times' Nate Silver, West Virginia has a larger fan base than BYU, one that would actually be third largest in the league once Mizzou and AtM depart. Morgantown is actually geographically closer to most Big 12 schools, too.

I think we will ultimately go to 12 teams. Pollard said TEAMS when talking pre-game about the plan that had been laid out for replacing Missouri. TEAMS.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
First, I don't think BYU will end up in the Big12 as there too many issues revolving around their TV contract with ESPN and being independent (read: ESPN contract). If the Big12 and BYU do resolve their differences, then they're an automatic invite. The current situation doesn't bode well for an invite to the conference.

Louisville, geographically, is a good choice. Their FB program is decent and can improve with access to TX recruiting and Big 12 TV money, plus add a major TV market to the conference.

West Virginia adds both strong FB and MBB traditions; their following is primarily eastern (PA, WV, OH, MD, VA) which can add to the conference's TV footprint. Major athletic programs well supported.

My 'Other' is Tulane. Chuck Neinas mentioned them as an expansion candidate. Good academics (AAU member), mediocre FB and occasionally decent MBB. Located in another major TV market in the south in a state rich in FB and MBB recruits. Lots of potential to rise with Big 12 TV money.

There is my three minus BYU. If the situation with BYU improves, then sub BYU for WVU.

Neinas did mention Tulane.

In the same commentary he said that the Big 12 had been petitioned by lots of schools about admission. I think the Tulane comment was a trial balloon to see what the reaction might be to adding a smaller school with some demographic advantages but is lacking in other areas, just to see what the response might be.

The Tulane remark was actually about TCU, not Tulane. (Maybe Cincinatti too.) If the Big 12 was seriously negotiating with Tulane, you can be assured the commissioner wouldn't be talking about it to reporters prior to it happening.

My opinion.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Good poll...it made me think. I don't think Missouri sticks around for a lame duck 2012. So they've GOT to add somebody, right?

BYU is too hard to accomodate. WVU is a long ways from anybody.

I think L-ville only for next year. The buyout isn't THAT steep, and maybe the Big 12 helps out in exchange for lower revenue payouts for a period of time (kind of like a loan).

I think you are completely wrong about this. Completely.

SEC had already drafted schedules for a 13 team league at the end of the summer. It's getting awful late. I think the reason the aTm announcement came when it did was because it was approaching the end of the feasible window for 2012, and that was months ago. The Big 12 isn't likely to be able to move anyone in Missouri's place on short notice--there aren't any more TCU's out there. And Missouri has a need to mitigate the financial impact leaving with only a couple months notice would cost them. Precedent of CU and NU tell us what we can expect.

Missourah playing one more year is the path of least resistance and that makes it the scenario most likely to occur.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron