Arnaud gives ISU fans preview of potential (to get at least 20 snaps Saturday)

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
DesMoinesRegister.com

Ames, Ia. - He always looked the part. Now, Austen Arnaud is starting to sound like Iowa State's quarterback of the future.

Cyclone football fans have been touting Arnaud's abilities since his days at Ames High School. But that didn't prevent teammates from occasionally teasing the redshirt freshman.

"We always used to make fun of him," receiver Todd Blythe said during Monday's news conference. "At the beginning of the year, he'd get in the huddle and start tripping over his words and stuttering.

"We'd be like, 'Come on, man. What play are you trying to call?' ''

Arnaud continued settling into his role as Bret Meyer's backup. And when he took the field last weekend against Kansas State, Blythe noticed a difference.

"He got in there, and he was cracking jokes," Blythe said. "He was keeping everybody else calm in critical times.

"That's just a taste of what's to come. He's going to do a lot of good things."

Arnaud rotated with Meyer during a 31-20 win over the Wildcats, completing 5-of-7 passes and accounting for 149 total yards.

"We've always had confidence in him," coach Gene Chizik said. "I think the most important thing is he gained some confidence.

"I hope he did."

Chizik plans to use Arnaud at least 20 snaps during Saturday's game against Colorado.

Meyer will be making his 47th consecutive start, and his final appearance at Jack Trice Stadium. Arnaud, whose father John played defensive back for the Cyclones in the early 1980s, will begin competing for the starting job next spring

"What we'd like to do is kind of play it by ear," Chizik said, when asked how much Arnaud would play. "I thought it was a good twist to be able to use two quarterbacks. Both of them do things similar, but they do have some differences in there."

The most noticeable difference is experience.

Meyer has shown poise, despite being sacked 119 times in his career.

Arnaud talked Monday about finding a comfortable pace.

"I'm seeing things faster than they're really happening," Arnaud said. "I just need to slow stuff down."

Arnaud failed to connect with Marquis Hamilton on a potential touchdown pass. He also underthrew Blythe on a play that gained 51 yards, but ended short of a touchdown.

"I'm not as comfortable as I want to be," Arnaud said, "just because of limited reps."

More chances will come in the next two weeks, including a road trip to No. 5 Kansas.

"He's got a big arm. He's a big kid," Blythe said of the 6-foot-3, 222-pound Arnaud. "He's going to make a lot of big plays here."

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Stuff like this just makes me like Chizik more and more. He has "managed" introducing Arnaud to games in a terrific manner. He also brought back Alexander Robinson and managed the running backs, well. He, or his subordinates are doing a good job of "seasoning" our second team players.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Underthrew Blythe? Uh, no. He hit him right in stride, it's why the play went for 51 yards. Blythe was able to keep running with the ball.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe at the end of the year we will start throwing the ball down the field and this will help to open up their defense. Already Robinson is causing some problems for the opponent. May in the 12 th game against Kansas we will get it all together on offense.

Did anyone notice that was our best kickoff and coverage game of the season last Saturday?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Underthrew Blythe? Uh, no. He hit him right in stride, it's why the play went for 51 yards. Blythe was able to keep running with the ball.

I was sitting in the endzone and Blythe had to slow up and turn back a little to catch it. The d-back was able to catch up to him and make the tackle - if the ball had a little more on it he would have had the TD. As I remember Blythe made 2 big catches: one along the East sideline and one down the middle of the field ... maybe you were thinking of the other one?

He also under threw someone on the first series he was in ... right in from of the student section, don't remember the play exactly just that the reciever had to pull up to make the grab.

Good game out of him though, I'm sure the throws will come.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That one was to Marquis, but he delivered the ball, I can't complain about that. He still hasn't thrown an interception either.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Yeah, he definitely underthrew him. When I saw him slow down I said ***** that could have been a TD if he would have led him just a tiny bit more. And then I said holy ***** nice play.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
That one was to Marquis, but he delivered the ball, I can't complain about that. He still hasn't thrown an interception either.

Yeah, its all good - he just has the opportunity to clean things up for better future returns.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Stuff like this just makes me like Chizik more and more. He has "managed" introducing Arnaud to games in a terrific manner. He also brought back Alexander Robinson and managed the running backs, well. He, or his subordinates are doing a good job of "seasoning" our second team players.

This is what good coaches do - bring people along. I just wish this happened maybe during the first half of our season.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah, his 2 long passes were a little underthrown, the one to Hamilton was worse.

But, both were completed and both led to points...so....

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
This gets me pumped for next year already. Its going to be a loooooooong wait.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If a guy is wide open and you under throw a ball, quite often it is picked off.

Both Hamilton and Blythe were so wide open that the passes would have had to been thrown pretty bad to be picked... The real test will be those passes where our guy just has a step or two and he needs to throw it where only the receiver can get it...

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
When a guy is that wide open I would MUCH rather have it under thrown then thrown 5 yards out of bounds!

If a guy is wide open and you under throw a ball, quite often it is picked off.

We can drop this, its silly.

The fact was he did have a couple underthrows, I'm sure he would throw them better if he had a second try. The results of the plays were great ... but there exists a chance they could have been better.

There really isn't much to debate, I think everybody liked what they saw from AA and are looking forward to more.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I love this move. Hopefully he will play a full half against Kansas. I would think that would be the next step.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree, it is silly. Especially when we won.

I see great potential in Arnaud, his fundamentals are great - just needs the experience. It's nice he's getting that without getting killed and gaining confidence - being part of a big win at home.

Who knows if he's going to be our QB next year. Bates still wants a shot at that position and two guys arrive next year that look to be great athletes.

4 men do battle, let the best man win. I just hope we can keep the others in Ames and find spots for them on the field.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I am not arguing that Arnaud didn't play well, I love the kid. I simply made a statement that there are MANY times when a ball 5 yards out of bounds is much better than an under thrown pass. No rip on Arnuad.

I for one am happy as a pig in poo that we have a coach that will put this kid out there and get him some positive experience. It WILL pay dividends next year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
4 men do battle, let the best man win. I just hope we can keep the others in Ames and find spots for them on the field.

Two men enter. One man leaves.

200px-Mad_max_beyond_thunderdome.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron