Arnaud gives ISU fans preview of potential (to get at least 20 snaps Saturday)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Frankly I think Marquis Hamilton has had a better year than Blythe this year.

I love Blythe, but he's really one dimensional. Marquis catches screens, goes over the middle, and can catch the deep ball.

Don't get me wrong, Blythe is a great receiver and you need somebody for those jump balls. But in this offense were they were learning at the start of the year and struggled to strech the field, Blythe was really limited.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm just going to completely disagree with ya on him breaking tackles and taking guys with him. That play was more of a rarity than the norm. I love it and hope to see more of it in his final 2 games as a Cyclone.

As recently noted, Blythe doesn't block well at all and continues to run marginal routes. Todd has awesome physical skills yet seems to be limited to running 2 or 3 routes.

IMO, Hamilton is the best all-around receiver we have on this football team. He blocks, he catches the ball with both hands, doesn't drop many, will go across the middle, knives through defenders and can stretch the field. He can run the fade too.

Look back at the OU game, those quick passes to him out of the slot as he cut through the defense, picking up first downs. Those were huge to our success in that game. We don't have another player on our team that can do that for us, including Todd.

We do have a player on our team that can give us most of what Todd does. That's my point. We're going to miss him next year but from what I've seen, he's not irreplaceable.

IMO, if he had some better coaching early on and wasn't treated like he was God's gift to Iowa State by the staff, I think it would be a different story. The simple fact that he put on 10 pounds (and lost body fat) in a mere 6 months in the new training program should tell ya that much - and that's just one small part.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think Hamilton is going to be something special... I just worry that he might get too bigh, which isn't necessarily a bad thing... I see him being a developing into a 'Miami TE' similar to Winslow, Shockey, Olson.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I would take Blythe 19 out of 20 times over Danielesen...

I disagree. I'd take Blythe 20 out of 20 times.

And both of you guys are absolutely nuts. :nah: But then again, everyone's got a right to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be :twitcy:

If Lane Danielson was a 4 year starter Blythe doesn't even come close to his numbers. Heck, if he were the man for 3 years Blythe STILL doesn't come close to him. Danielson did everything Blythe is capable of plus had speed (plenty to outrun the defense on that infamous reverse) went up the middle to catch passes, and never gave up on plays or routes.

I would take Danielson 15 out of 20 times over Blythe.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
And both of you guys are absolutely nuts. :nah: But then again, everyone's got a right to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be :twitcy:

If Lane Danielson was a 4 year starter Blythe doesn't even come close to his numbers. Heck, if he were the man for 3 years Blythe STILL doesn't come close to him. Danielson did everything Blythe is capable of plus had speed (plenty to outrun the defense on that infamous reverse) went up the middle to catch passes, and never gave up on plays or routes.

I would take Danielson 15 out of 20 times over Blythe.

Danielson also had far superior Qb's throwing him the ball... He also has been called out by former players and coaches as being a terrible leader and almost a cancer on the team his senior year.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
And it forced Blythe to do something we have almost never seen from him.

Fight, scratch and claw for more yards, all the while holding onto the ball when he had guys trying to strip it from him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lDq2hMuHIU"]YouTube - Countdown to Auburn: Day 63[/ame]

Look at 0:42 on that video... it was the only tape I could find of a game on YouTube but it shows Blythe doing something that we "have almost never seen from him". Simply put... you are wrong ISUFan22.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You found one instance outside of this past weekend. That does not disprove my statement.

Man...that was one helluva game though. My brother and I were out of town, getting updates via text message from one of his friends...going from sickness over what looked to be a loss to jubilation rather quickly.

Last edited: