How many kickers should we bring in?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I know that scholarships are valuable at this point, but I was wondering if you guys think we should try to get that kid from Johnston and the guy from Marion.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah I agree, if you can get them both, competition is good.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Never been a fan of sticking all your eggs in one basket, so I would like to see two, though it does suck to have to use 2 in one year for one.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Two FG kickers and a punter would be nice. But they won't offer until they see if any of these guys can kick off of natural grass.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I know that scholarships are valuable at this point, but I was wondering if you guys think we should try to get that kid from Johnston and the guy from Marion.

Not sure how many kickers should be brought in. On a positive note Grebain was kicking better yesterday, then he has in the past.

Cyfreddy

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think they should bring in one that can kick! It is completely insane the number of walk-on and scholarships kickers that have tried and failed to improve the kicking game at ISU in the past 5 years.

Maybe it is just bad luck or bad choices, but it isn't like Mac didn't give a lot of guys a shot at the job or spend a scholarship on the problem. GC came in looking to replace Shaggy and quickly figured out that Shaggy was the best of a bad lot.

jperickson23

Apr 10, 2006
Des Moines

I could be wrong but I seemed to me that Brent Blum and Chuck Reed were hinting on the call in show yesterday that it would only be a matter of time before Zach Guyer (Johnston) would commit to us. Does anyone know how Guyer is kicking off grass?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Not sure how many kickers should be brought in. On a positive note Grebain was kicking better yesterday, then he has in the past.

Cyfreddy

Josh is a senior right? So we have 0 kickers next year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Josh is a senior right? So we have 0 kickers next year.

Chris Mahoski is listed on the roster as a Sophomore. He was given a scholarship a couple years ago but broke his leg before getting to ISU. Don't know how he is panning out. But it is safe to say, that he is not as good as Shaggy......which isn't that great.

The field goal made by Shaggy looked pretty weak. As they said in the Call In Show after the game. "It was leaking oil, badly".

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
It's really not that difficult to bring in a serviceable kicker. I know Iowa State has made it look VERY difficult the last 5 years but it's really not. Spend 1 scholarship on a kicker you have confidence in and bring in another 1 who has potential to walkon. If we do that, we won't be in any worse shape than we're currently in. Just my opinion.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
It's really not that difficult to bring in a serviceable kicker. I know Iowa State has made it look VERY difficult the last 5 years but it's really not. Spend 1 scholarship on a kicker you have confidence in and bring in another 1 who has potential to walkon. If we do that, we won't be in any worse shape than we're currently in. Just my opinion.

I agree. Using 2 scholarships in the same year is overkill.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Chris Mahoski is listed on the roster as a Sophomore. He was given a scholarship a couple years ago but broke his leg before getting to ISU. Don't know how he is panning out. But it is safe to say, that he is not as good as Shaggy......which isn't that great.

The field goal made by Shaggy looked pretty weak. As they said in the Call In Show after the game. "It was leaking oil, badly".

Mahoski blew out an ACL playing soccer his Sr. year. Not sure he has recovered

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny

My veiw of the kick was straight on from the East side and we were lucky because the holder just got the ball up off its side at the last milisecond, considering that I was just pleased that it went thru the uprights.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

So you're saying our kicking game could be worse? :eek:

I was in the endzone stands and that FG from the 7 yard line cleared the east upright by about a foot and a half - it was diving HARD left. And the punts seem to get worse and worse every week ... is his leg wearing out? The "net 8 yard" punt was a perfect storm of crappy punting and crappy coverage.

Last edited: