Virus removal

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Apparently, my laptop has a trojan horse virus problem. I disconnected it from the Internet, since that didn't seem to be providing any real benefit.

Any good ideas on removing this? I thought I could go to avg or somewhere, but my browsers look to be disabled due to this thing.

Ugh. This looks ugly right now.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Does it pop up a window of a fake anti virus program (one that you don't have installed on the PC) that wants you to do a scan? If so, Google how to remove that and there should be answers.

If not, download Malware Bytes and run that in safe mode. This seems to be one of the more effective ways to treat bugs. However, since you said your browsers were disabled (something that I have been hearing happen more and more due to bugs) just using Malware Bytes might not be enough.

I forget the exact procedure to turn Firefox, or IE, or whatever's internet back on, but it's not too complicated. Once you believe that you have the trojan files gone, then try Googling how to turn the browser internet back on.

Reactions: cyfanatic

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Does it pop up a window of a fake anti virus program (one that you don't have installed on the PC) that wants you to do a scan? If so, Google how to remove that and there should be answers.

If not, download Malware Bytes and run that in safe mode. This seems to be one of the more effective ways to treat bugs. However, since you said your browsers were disabled (something that I have been hearing happen more and more due to bugs) just using Malware Bytes might not be enough.

I forget the exact procedure to turn Firefox, or IE, or whatever's internet back on, but it's not too complicated. Once you believe that you have the trojan files gone, then try Googling how to turn the browser internet back on.

This. Literally just spent most of last night dealing with this same problem... :sad:

Had trojans on my computer that disabled my browser as well as most everything else. I put my computer in safe mode, downloaded and ran Malware Bytes, deleted the trojan crap, and then I was back in business. FYI, the scan took a good 40 minutes.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
safe mode scan is running right now.

Apparently this has been out there since June 2009, so I imagine that I'm current enough.

What a way to kill a Saturday :swoon:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XHXdmSMBog]YouTube - Watch Paint Dry...In HD!!!![/ame]

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
safe mode scan is running right now.

Apparently this has been out there since June 2009, so I imagine that I'm current enough.

What a way to kill a Saturday :swoon:

If it's still acting funny even after Malwarebytes says it is clean, try Combofix, if you can get back to the internet (could try booting Safe Mode w/Networking).

Combofix link

That can usually get at some of the deep infested Rootkits and can really mess things up.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
Whenever I get a virus, I google either the name that appears in the scan or the name of the fake antivirus pop-up if there is one. A lot of times, there are websites with good instructions about removal, as well as comments about what other people did to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron