Anyone ever have Vertigo???

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
My wife's world has been spinning the last day and a half. We went to the doctor and she was diagnosed with Vertigo. She has been vomiting, can't stand on her own, and can't drink or eat. She was treated all afternoon with being dehydrated. It's been a long day to say the least. To compound things she is 17 weeks pregnant.

How long does this last? She is on 3 different meds for it right now. Just able to drink and keep some food down finally. She is a school teacher and they advise her not to go back to teach until it clears up, but they only gave her an excused absence till Monday.

With her needing time off for the baby I'm worried how the school will take it. They are very quick to not renew contracts if a teacher falls out of graces.

Any info on experience or what not would be appreciated.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ouch not good. I had a buddy who went through this and it took him up to a year to get over it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I had it for two days. Take no chances with her being pregnant. See how it is every day when she gets up. Tell the school that you do not want her to have a problem in class in front of the kids. They will understand.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Scary stuff... Especially watching her eyes spin as she is trying to concentrate on an object.

So them saying up to 6 weeks to or longer to completely recover is normal then??

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I had a sudden attack two years ago. Came out of no where. Felt like I was on the Tilt a Whirl (I actually thought I was having stroke or something). Long story short, I went to the doc and he figured out what was up. He put me through some maneuvers (basically situps while my head was held to the side). The doc's maneuver caused me to vomit one more time, but they got my inner ear stuff back in order. He then gave me an anti nasuea shot. Within ten minutes I was feeling better and went home and at dinner. Go search the mayo site. There's some good info out there. I was diagnosed with BPPV (I think it stands for Benign Paroxmyl Positional Vertigo). Still have attacks now and then, but much easier to deal with now that I know what it is.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Did you go to an ENT? Being an inner ear thing, they can sometimes do some positional therapy (for lack of a better term) that can be helpful. Medications never work for me. I've had it on and off (maybe a dozen times?) since about twenty years ago. I have no idea when or why it happens and usually it just slows me down for a day, but once it lasted about 3 weeks (a major pain in the *** - I couldn't drive, but learned to walk around with it). It's never affected my eating, however. I wonder if that's specific to her being pregnant.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had it for two days. Take no chances with her being pregnant. See how it is every day when she gets up. Tell the school that you do not want her to have a problem in class in front of the kids. They will understand.

This doesnt happen in all school districts.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
The wife got her's passed down from her mother. I guess it can be passed through genetics. Her vertigo is the Benign Positional Vertigo. She tried physical therapy today but I think her being dehydrated and weak it didn't work out great. It did help some. Guess she needs to do this several times until it gets better.

cyclones1

Apr 11, 2006
I had vertigo. Only thing that made it better was doing the Epley maneuver. I would ask the Dr. about it. ENT showed it to me. You have to make sure you start on the proper side or it doesn't work

68clone

Apr 21, 2006
The wife got her's passed down from her mother. I guess it can be passed through genetics. Her vertigo is the Benign Positional Vertigo. She tried physical therapy today but I think her being dehydrated and weak it didn't work out great. It did help some. Guess she needs to do this several times until it gets better.

I've had positional vertigo ocassionaly all my adult life and this year my gp doctor recomended physical therapy. After about 5 sessions I was doing much better. Don't think I was completely cured, but much better. I may have to do some of the exercises more often. Good luck.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was diagnosed with a case of Labyrinthine Vertigo about 5 years ago. It's completely caught me off guard and kicked my butt- I got dizzy in the shower and fell down and might have slightly knocked myself out. I made it to the couch to lay down. My mom was luckily visiting me that day and was able to drive me to the hospital and it was absolutely pure terror. I was spinning in 360 degrees and bawling like crazy.
The doc had me do some movements, then got me a prescription and within a day or two I was back to normal.
The only flashback I ever had was a couple months later when I was at the Mall of America on one of the top levels, I looked thru the glass guards underneath the walkway handrails and could see thru about 2 other glass guards on the 2 levels below. IT was just a crazy line of sight at that moment. I got huge spins and had to go sit down for a while. Luckily I wasn't close to the handrail, I was closer to the center of the walkway or I could have wobbled and came close to falling close to that handrail and/or over it. Lucked out big time.
Wish your wife the best, and seriously tell her to make no sudden movements, and a couple days of rest in the chair helps.

Cloned

SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
Hormone and blood pressure changes during pregnancy can also cause vertigo. As can stress and anxiety.

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
My high school track coach had this 2 years ago, and at practice he would often be leaning on things, and he would be gone days at a time. He grew a beard and mumbled a lot. Took him at least a couple months to get over it. Not good.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
A friend of mine has been struggling with Vertigo "attacks" for several years now with not much hope of a permanent solution. What a crappy disease/disorder/whatever.

Matt92x

Dec 19, 2009
Rochester, MN
My mom had very bad vertigo about a year ago...Its gotten better but she still gets sick from time to time...It seems like it would be a terrible thing to go through...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Vertigo is quickly debilitating. It makes you want to just not move for your world starts spinning immediately. It makes you feel vulnerable immediately. You just do not want to move your head at all for fear that the world will start spinning in giant circles every second.

For those who get it back over and over, you never know for sure when it might hit. It limits you as to what you might do. You may have problems climbing the steps at JTS suddenly.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I get it really bad after boating. Especially if I have been standing on a dock for a long period of time.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I had something called vestibular neurosis, similar to vertigo. Spent one whole day laying in bed with the world spinning, couldn't drive for over a week.

My doctor had me do excerises such as putting me head down between my legs then looking up quickly and riding out the spins will my brain adjusted. Apparently it re-trains the brain to be in balance.

She said you never completely get over it but rather your body learns to compensate. That would probably explain why the balance test on the WII thought I was 75.

Not fun at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron