Anyone ever have Vertigo???

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Wow, this is interesting as I've never experienced this or known someone who has.

What is the actual cause for vertigo - is it just genetic that can't be prevented or explained? Does it have to do with how your inner-ear is structured?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Vertigo usually occurs as a result of a disorder in the vestibular system (i.e., structures of the inner ear, the vestibular nerve, brainstem, and cerebellum). The vestibular system is responsible for integrating sensory stimuli and movement and for keeping objects in visual focus as the body moves. Benign paroxysmal position vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause for dizziness.
When the head moves, signals are transmitted to the labyrinth, which is an apparatus in the inner ear that is made up of three semicircular canals surrounded by fluid. The labyrinth then transmits movement information to the vestibular nerve and the vestibular nerve carries the information to the brainstem and cerebellum (areas of the brain that control balance, posture, and motor coordination). There are a number of different causes for dizzy spells.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
My girlfriend would get a touch of the dizzies from time to time.
images

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I had no idea this was such a real and prevalent disorder. Something else to worry about getting now.

*SNEEZE* - whoa, that made me dizzy. OH CRAP, I might have Vertigo!

No offense to those that have it intended. Not trying to belittle it, I'm actually just a bit of a worrier. This would be especially awful I think cause over the years I've beconme a total **** when it comes to sudden movement, spinning, loss of balance types of things. I spin my kids around the living room three times and while they are hysterically giggling and asking for more, I sit down to make sure I don't puke or pass out!

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I had no idea this was such a real and prevalent disorder. Something else to worry about getting now.

*SNEEZE* - whoa, that made me dizzy. OH CRAP, I might have Vertigo!

No offense to those that have it intended. Not trying to belittle it, I'm actually just a bit of a worrier. This would be especially awful I think cause over the years I've beconme a total **** when it comes to sudden movement, spinning, loss of balance types of things. I spin my kids around the living room three times and while they are hysterically giggling and asking for more, I sit down to make sure I don't puke or pass out!

Actually I know what you mean... The wife called me saying she was dizzy and puking, I thought she had the flu or something. The rest of the day I convinced myself I had a sore throat and was feeling crappy. I swore I was getting the flu all day long.

Balance is getting better and she is eating now. Although, the Dr gave her the wrong medicine being pregnant and all. The OB got her in today and thankfully she only had 1 dose of the medicine. And the OB couldn't find the heartbeat so he did an ultra sound, everything was good. Although, we didn't want to know the sex of the baby, but the Dr accidently showed her and then remembered. It was too late. I think she knows, but she won't tell me.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Never got diagnosed, but it was only what I could guess was Vertigo.. got it once during high school. Just woke up one morning and could hardly move around. Luckily it went away after a day, but it was very strange. Definitely sucked because, if you looked at anything, the room was spinning.. but if you closed your eyes, it felt like you were on a spinny carnival ride while closing your eyes. Really sucked... I feel for her.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I had very similar symptoms back in 2000 and was diagnosed with labyrinthtitis. I remember it all too well. Watched a Sunday night Bears/Packers game, felt a little dizzy, and the next thing I knew I couldn't move my head without puking. I spent the night in bed and thought I was getting a little better, but started spinning and puking again the next morning with any movement what so ever. My wife took me to the doctor, carried a bucket with me into the waiting room with my head down. The doc tried some prescription strength motion sickness drugs, but it had no affect. They admitted me to Mercy making the trip there with my bucket. At this point I couldn't even walk and had to use a wheelchair.

They really didn't treat me with anything besides re-hydrating via IV. Doc said it might be chronic or never happen again. Thank God it's the latter. Had to do a weeks worth of physical therapy before I could walk steadily again or drive. Kinda lost my depth perception for awhile too.