New Depth Chart (8/29)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Confused as to why Sims is on the Returners two-Deep, but not the safeties. And yes, I know he is suspended for Thursday's game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Couple of interesting things that stood out to me...

Bailey Johnson over Jake McDonough.

Woody AND James White over Shontrelle Johnson. If SJ is truly #4, don't we have to RS him? Why waste a year? I guess it's up to Shontrelle and what he wants to do, right?

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Bailey Johnson listed as the starter at the 3 tech over Jake McD, makes sense they'd move he or Rump over there with the lack of experience at the position. Still think we'll see plenty of Jake.

Also looks like they flipped the 2's for the rush and strongside ends in Lattimer and Maggitt.

Shontrelle listed as 4th string RB. Since Woody is the most different of the backs he'll get on the field more than White and SJ because he can do things the others can't. It will be interesting to see who gets the most carries between White and SJ.

The WR breakdown looks similar to that of post spring. We'll see if guys like Young and Gary can break through as the season goes on.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Does this mean Caspers only redshirts if nobody gets hurt?
I'm sure that there are multiple moves that Coach Bleil would make before using Caspers, probably including Lichtenberg, Tuftee and Sean Smith. Carter Bykowski may well figure into some kind a fliparound somehow as well, if KO were forced inside. That would be a disaster scenario, however, that I personally would prefer not to see.

Woody AND James White over Shontrelle Johnson. If SJ is truly #4, don't we have to RS him? Why waste a year? I guess it's up to Shontrelle and what he wants to do, right?

So, based on the depth chart of the very first game of a twelve game season, you're willing to toss a kid's year away? Much like Johnson over McDonough, there is a chance that more seasoned players are listed higher until the first game jitters are out of the way.

I guess I'll wait and see how the game plays out, rather than making snap judgements.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm sure that there are multiple moves that Coach Bleil would make before using Caspers, probably including Lichtenberg, Tuftee and Sean Smith. Carter Bykowski may well figure into some kind a fliparound somehow as well, if KO were forced inside. That would be a disaster scenario, however, that I personally would prefer not to see.

So, based on the depth chart of the very first game of a twelve game season, you're willing to toss a kid's year away? Much like Johnson over McDonough, there is a chance that more seasoned players are listed higher until the first game jitters are out of the way.

I guess I'll wait and see how the game plays out, rather than making snap judgements.

NO... I want first what is best for Shontrelle Johnson, and second what's best for ISU. I said "IF" he truly is #4. He might not really be #4... we'll see.

But if we get a season where SJ gets something like 10 carries all year... do you think that would be worth a year of eligibility in your mind? And in the best interests of SJ and ISU? I don't.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
No CJ Morgan on the 2 deep for LBer's, and I see Hamlin still out there, I wish he was not listed, especially with the 198 lb roster weight.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
LB depth is SAAAAD. No surprise though.

Gotta say after all the talk it is a surprise to see Jake M. as the 2.

There is absolutely NO reason whatsover for us not to have better LB depth than that. NONE. We have a gazillion WRs and RBs, and have a 198 lb LB in our 2 deep. Most high schools don't have 198 lb LBs. I'm sorry.

The size of our DE's isn't much better. I REALLY feel for Wally getting the shaft in talent. Our offense had better win the games for us by scoring 30+ pts a game. Wally's hands are tied BIG TIME!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Couple of interesting things that stood out to me...

Bailey Johnson over Jake McDonough.

I am a little surprised by this too, after the good camp McDonough was supposed to be having. I suspect both these guys will see plenty of snaps. It would be nice to have a little rotation in the DL for a change so the defense does not falter so badly in the 4th qtr of games.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
once sims gets back, that defensive backfield is SOLID. Add in some young LB talent, that could be a stout back 7

6'3 198 is a string bean of a LB

holy cow.