Will we be underdogs against Northern Illinois?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm guessing yes, since they are in some people's top 25-30 teams in the country.

Anyone that thinks we can chalk this one up as a win is kidding themselves. NIU might be on par with Utah right now. I put this game in the toss-up category. In fact, NIU is probably better than KU, KSU, and Colorado IMO.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I thought somebody already had an early line out? and I think we were favored by 3.5 or 4.5...
I don't think it will change all that much leading up to the game.
And no, we won't be underdogs, especially since the game is at home.

I think you might be giving them too much credit. Yes, they are good and we can't overlook them. But, just because the got 1 or 2 votes in a pre season poll, doesn't mean ****. What did they do last year, that we didn't? We can't overlook them, but I expect us to beat them.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I thought somebody already had an early line out? and I think we were favored by 3.5 or 4.5...
I don't think it will change all that much leading up to the game.
And no, we won't be underdogs, especially since the game is at home.

I think you might be giving them too much credit. Yes, they are good and we can't overlook them. But, just because the got 1 or 2 votes in a pre season poll, doesn't mean ****. What did they do last year, that we didn't? We can't overlook them, but I expect us to beat them.

I agree.
People are looking at their win total, but whoever posted that breakdown showing who their wins were against showed a real telling story: They didn't beat anybody during the season. I don't remember their bowl opponent, but it likely wasn't a BCS team.

We can't overlook them, but we should beat them pretty handily.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'm guessing yes, since they are in some people's top 25-30 teams in the country.

Anyone that thinks we can chalk this one up as a win is kidding themselves. NIU might be on par with Utah right now. I put this game in the toss-up category. In fact, NIU is probably better than KU, KSU, and Colorado IMO.

Whose top 25 and why? Check the combined records of the teams they beat last year.

NIU is good and we won't take them lightly. They are not on par with Utah. We will beat NIU by +14.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I agree.
People are looking at their win total, but whoever posted that breakdown showing who their wins were against showed a real telling story: They didn't beat anybody during the season. I don't remember their bowl opponent, but it likely wasn't a BCS team.

We can't overlook them, but we should beat them pretty handily.

South Florida

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
my prediction:

ISU: over 400 yards of offense. 40+ minutes of possession. 35+ points.
NIU: under 300 yards offense. under 20 minutes possession. under 21 points.

-keep

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
And that is not an impressive resume from last year.
Nope, which is why I'm not really completely understanding the NIU powerhouse theory.. We are coming off a great season and a bowl victory, we return a lot of starters and a powerful offense. I am not losing sleep over a MAC team who lost 27-3 in the International Bowl last year.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
NIU brings back a lot of guys, including their QB and most of the defense, but they didn't have any truly impressive wins. However, if we're going to say that, it can certainly be argued that we didn't have any impressive wins either, and you can chalk the Nebraska win as a quirky, fluke game if you want too (but that's another topic for another thread).

Regardless, we'll be the favorites and although NIU certainly could beat us, I don't really see it happening. My guess is a hard fought game on the ground and a final score of 27-16.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nope, which is why I'm not really completely understanding the NIU powerhouse theory.. We are coming off a great season and a bowl victory, we return a lot of starters and a powerful offense. I am not losing sleep over a MAC team who lost 27-3 in the International Bowl last year.

Me, either. We have an Insight Bowl victory and a win in Lincoln to remember. They dropped 50 on Eastern Michigan.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

This post contains an unbelievable amount of fail.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
NIU will be a tough game. They are decent. And we won't have Sims for that one. I still expect us to pull it out though. By a touchdown or less. We can't turn the ball over.