Cubs pitcher Silva

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Ok he really surprised me.... 6-0 come on... who would have figured that. Sure they have him in games that we could have still won. Still 6-0???

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This is ********...........He couldn't keep his ERA under 100 with the Mariners and now he is doing this.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Win, win is an understatement on how much the Cubs gained by getting rid of that dbag and gaining Carlos in return.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Ok he really surprised me.... 6-0 come on... who would have figured that. Sure they have him in games that we could have still won. Still 6-0???

I always thought Carlos Silva could be a heck of a pitcher when he was with the Twins. He had great control and a lot of success early on. I think he only walked like 9 batters one year in nearly 200 innings pitched. That same year, his ERA was under 3.5 (I can't remember exactly).

Then he got to thinking he was a power pitcher and started overthrowing it. His ball lost some of its movement the harder he threw it, he threw more balls, too, and people just teed off on him. His ERA hovered around 7 (in the high 6s) most of his next year with the Twins. He started to get it back some the year after that, but his ERA was still around 4.50 and he was giving up way more home runs than before. that's not good for a ground-ball pitcher.

He once threw an 11-hit shutout for the Twins. So he's not an overpowering pitcher. You can get some hits off him. But when he's on, it's just ground ball after ground ball. Some of them find some holes, but the majority don't.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
My bet is he ends up with a 4 something era, Silva has always had his good stretches and then he'll hit a few weeks when his sinker isn't as sharp and he gets batted around pretty good. Perhaps he'll avoid that now that he's been using his slider and changeup more frequently but I'm still skeptical.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I am amazed how accurate he is. The catcher doesn't have to move his glove for like 80% of the pitches.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
he was great yesterday. 0 walks, 11 K, 2 hit shutout through 7 innings. getting him in the trade was the only decent thing Bradly did for Chicago.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
It's too bad he can't pitch all 5 starts. An outing from Silva is wasted when you have Randy Wells with an infinity ERA, what big league pitcher can't get one out? Silva should give some lessons.

Neckbeard

Dec 20, 2008
Don't need to trade him, just resist the urge after the year to lavish him with a contract. Don't sign this guy to a 4-year $40M contract on December 1st. I'm begging you.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
Don't need to trade him, just resist the urge after the year to lavish him with a contract. Don't sign this guy to a 4-year $40M contract on December 1st. I'm begging you.

He's on contract for 2 years @ 12 mill per.........trade him now! The cubs arent a playoff team this year.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Heck of a pickup. A lot of Cub fans questioned it when they brought him in.

Who would have thoguht Silva would have been so good and Lilly so bad this season? Thow in Ramirez playing awful and some of the off players hitting well and it's really been a head scratching season for the Cubs so far.

Neckbeard

Dec 20, 2008
He's on contract for 2 years @ 12 mill per.........trade him now! The cubs arent a playoff team this year.

The Cubs of recent vintage have not been willing to be a firesale team. I'm not sure why they won't, the tickets have already been sold. Unless they are hundred miles out by the deadline they won't do it this year either. Expect Hendry to try and keep his job by swinging a big deal for a bullpen arm at the deadline and mortgage our future by giving up a good prospect to do it. Go Cubs go?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The Cubs of recent vintage have not been willing to be a firesale team. I'm not sure why they won't, the tickets have already been sold. Unless they are hundred miles out by the deadline they won't do it this year either. Expect Hendry to try and keep his job by swinging a big deal for a bullpen arm at the deadline and mortgage our future by giving up a good prospect to do it. Go Cubs go?

That's very hard to predict with new owners.

I dont' expect the Rickets to do much this year, but expect changes moving forward. Won't be status quo.

Maybe new coach(Lou maybe needs to be put out to pasture) and maybe new GM.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There are no hitters in the back end of National League lineups. Pitchers are almost always going to look better going AL to NL.