Well, he really, really hates the hire

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not that it is a big surprise considering what he's said before, but Keeler is out with another column about how the Hoiberg hire is a bad move.

The Hornecek angle is interesting, one would think if Keeler was against the Hoiberg hire he would be almost as against a Hornecek hire (almost because Jeff has coached a little bit, at least informally).

If Hornecek was interested in the job, it's too bad that he wasn't given the chance to interview, but the article doesn't state he was necessarily interested in the Iowa State job.

Keeler could be right, but he seems to be the only one screaming about it at every opportunity. And it is starting to get pretty annoying.

Keeler: What was old is new again for Cyclones and Hawkeyes | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

ST8R

Jan 2, 2008
Thanks, but I stopped reading and caring about Keeler's crap a long time ago.

Seriously, does anybody really care what he thinks? If so, why?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I haven't read the Drag or Keeler for quite a few years. Seeing posts like this only proves to me I made the right choice.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
What a crap article. He really doesn't make a point in the whole thing. He jumps from the Hornecek stuff to the local thing and then over to having NBA connections.
If you want to write another article about how ISU hired a coach more quickly than was advisable, and missed potential candidates, then do that.
If you want to write about local ties, then do that, and if you are going to write about the importance of pro ties, then do that. Don't put a smattering of thoughts together and try passing it off as an article.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
The truth of the matter is...and you can quote me on this...'I don't give two shakes what that reporter or any for that rag has to say and never will ever again!'

A lot of Cyclone fans have made the right choice...so should you!

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I actually thought it was a pretty fair article, but then again I'm on record as defending Keeler a lot on here and not demanding that he kiss ISU's ***** every single time he puts pen to paper.

I agree it was a bit disjointed, but I think his point was with both us and Iowa hiring Iowa natives/alumni with ties to the area, why not take it one step farther and hire Hornacek. That's what I got from it anyway.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I actually thought it was a pretty fair article, but then again I'm on record as defending Keeler a lot on here and not demanding that he kiss ISU's ***** every single time he puts pen to paper.

I agree it was a bit disjointed, but I think his point was with both us and Iowa hiring Iowa natives/alumni with ties to the area, why not take it one step farther and hire Hornacek. That's what I got from it anyway.

I certainly wasn't saying he should kiss our *** or not raise questions about it. I was just pointing out that him beating a dead horse for how ever long Fred is around is going to be annoying.

And I thought the Hornecek point was interesting. I think Jeff will make a great coach. And like I said, he is probably slightly more qualified than Fred. But Jeff hasn't made it known that he wanted the job.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
How are the Hoiberg hire even close to the hire of the Iowa assts? He is compairing one of the greatest most loved ISU players to an Iowa player from the 70s that many current HSers dads wont remember and Bowen who was a good player in his day but no Hoiberg, plus the job he has he wont be able to recurit. This is the first I have heard of Jeff Hornacek wanting to coach at ISU. If Jeff wanted the job he should have called JP, since JP likes to hire guys that contact him right away, if not before there is an opening. Is JP suppose to call all former players to get their OK on a hire? That write up is just stupid and has no purpose.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How are the Hoiberg hire even close to the hire of the Iowa assts? He is compairing one of the greatest most loved ISU players to an Iowa player from the 70s that many current HSers dads wont remember and Bowen who was a good player in his day but no Hoiberg, plus the job he has he wont be able to recurit. This is the first I have heard of Jeff Hornacek wanting to coach at ISU. If Jeff wanted the job he should have called JP, since JP likes to hire guys that contact him right away, if not before there is an opening. Is JP suppose to call all former players to get their OK on a hire? That write up is just stupid and has no purpose.

I don't even think it says that Jeff wanted the job. It said that Jeff has been interested in getting into coaching. I know he interviewed for the Bulls job a few years ago. But up until then he hadn't been interested in moving his kids.

We all knew that Fred was interested in possibly being involved in the program because he was around a lot.

KeyserSoze

Apr 30, 2010
I've read the article twice and can't find where Keeler - who imo is a 2nd-rate hack - says anything about really really hating the hire. In fact, in the article he makes the point of FH having NBA experience as both a player and in the front office as being a strong recruiting selling point.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Hmmmmmmmmm.

It does make one wonder how much money he (Keeler) has contributed to our program over the years, to care so deeply about the decision to hire Fred.

I am sure that he has spent thousands of dollars for seats at Hilton.

No wonder he feels the need to be so opinionated, he certainly is invested isn't he?

One can hope that this fall an Iowa freshman journalism student will win a short story competition, and first prize will be Keeler's job for a week.
Second prize will be for a month, and the third prize winner will be awarded his job permanently.

Not to get off the thread topic but I think it should also be noted that Jim Walden had no radio experience what-so-ever, when made the cohost of Two Guys Named Jim.
I wonder if Mr. Walden thinks that the young people who had radio experience, and were in line to be considered for the co-hosting duties, felt like they were "slapped in the face" for not being considered, when the job was given to someone with no experience?
I'm thinking he probably had the right first name, and was given the opportunity.

Just my opinion of course.

GO CYCLONES :yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I didn't see anything about hating the hire anywhere in that article.

Cyismybird

Oct 17, 2009
Recipe for media in central Iowa.

1. Say the most rediculously offensive degrading stuff about Iowa State and you will get the most listeners because they will get all riled up.
2. Say the most rediculously hyped up stuff about iowa and you will get the most listeners because they will be falling all over themselves and oozing about how great they are and won't be able to get enough of it.

The one commonality...both are rediculous stuff being said by the media. Problem is it isn't going to change. It is the recipe for what they perceive to be true.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I wasn't going to read the article, but after reading some of the threads I thought I'd better see just how nasty Keeler was to Fred. Not a very inspiring article, but where's the venom for Fred? I'm no Keeler fan but I can't really find anything to rip him on in that article, am I missing something?

Reactions: dcxme1183

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Not that it is a big surprise considering what he's said before, but Keeler is out with another column about how the Hoiberg hire is a bad move.

The Hornecek angle is interesting, one would think if Keeler was against the Hoiberg hire he would be almost as against a Hornecek hire (almost because Jeff has coached a little bit, at least informally).

If Hornecek was interested in the job, it's too bad that he wasn't given the chance to interview, but the article doesn't state he was necessarily interested in the Iowa State job.

Keeler could be right, but he seems to be the only one screaming about it at every opportunity. And it is starting to get pretty annoying.

Keeler: What was old is new again for Cyclones and Hawkeyes | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

REALLY think you misread the article. Keeler spends a bit of time saying Hoiberg can be VERY appealing to kids and his success will depend on his bench coach. Hate Keeler because he's a rectal bump, not because this article has an anti-ISU slant - because it doesn't.