Did you catch the .......Who's a better hire, McCaffery or Hoiberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
segment on KXNO today?

Matt kept saying that on the face of it, the McCaffery hire is better, (remember,..... he laughed about Fred's hiring) but now that he has had a chance to think about it ................. (he still clearly likes the McCaffery hire better, you can tell by the way he chooses his words.)

Anyway, I think and feel that the college game is still a guard's game, and I find myself wondering why a talented high school guard wouldn't jump at the chance to play for a man who can show you how to get to the BIG LEAGUE'S, because he's been there, and knows what it takes to get there.

Just my opinion, of course.
Anyone?

GO CYCLONES :yes:

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
segment on KXNO today?

Matt kept saying that on the face of it that the McCaffery hire was better, (remember,..... he laughed about Fred's hiring) but now that he has had a chance to think about it ................. (he still clearly likes the McCafery hire better) you can tell by the way he chooses his words.

Anyway, I think and feel that the college game is still a guards game, and I find myself wondering why a really good high school guard wouldn't jump at the chance to play for a man who can show you how to get to the big's because he's been there, and knows what it takes to get there.

Just my opinion, of course.
Anyone?

GO CYCLONES :yes:

All else being equal, you have to go with the guy that has done the task he is being judged against. Doesn't really matter as the proof is in the pudding and nobody - regardless of how big a homer they are - can say anything other than what they hope happens.

Reactions: Balrog

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I honestly don't even think you can compare them because the hiring of the Mayor is sooooo different. That just wouldn't work at Iowa because (obviously) he is not a legend there, so for them McCaffery is the better hire.

All things equal (as much as possible), I'd say McCaffery, but Fred is high risk high reward. It could easily be the start of the best years for ISU (and it could last for a LONG time since I don't think he'd ever leave) or....it could end with ISU letting go of their hometown hero. Personally, I like the gamble...:biggrin:

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
On the surface, I would have to say that FM is a better/safer hire. But so was Lickliter. I don't think it's even a reasonable question at this point. The question needs to be answered in stages.

Stage 1 - ISU has kept all their signees and may have a transfer return. In fact, ISU has another signee that was being recruited by Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and Georgetown.
Iowa lost 2 recruits and a player AFTER" the new coach came on board

Stage 2 - ???

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Honestly, why does anyone care what he thinks. So what, let him have his opinion.

Everything will get played out soon enough and the results will speak for themselves. Each hire stands on it's own and really can't be compared with eachother anyway.

With this being said, Hawks suck. :biglaugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: statsaholic

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
In terms of things like stabilitiy (i.e. lack of transfers and keeping commitments) and fan excitement (i.e. likely ticket sales), I actually think that we can make a decent case that Fred is the better hire.

I was jealous of Iowa for getting Fran, since that's who I had wanted here, but once we brought in Fred, that jealousy faded. I think we're going to see some fantastic games between these two teams for a few years.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Who knows? On paper it is Fran, no doubt.

One thing that hasn't been focused on enough is that we've kept all of our recruits. I know TJ has something to do with that, but so did Fred. Chris mentioned that the recruits, at least some of them, had heard of him. That's impressive.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Who knows? On paper it is Fran, no doubt.

One thing that hasn't been focused on enough is that we've kept all of our recruits. I know TJ has something to do with that, but so did Fred. Chris mentioned that the recruits, at least some of them, had heard of him. That's impressive.

And they kept their committment after talking with TJ and Fred. They heard from Fred, and they stayed here.

I liked how Eric Heft pointed out that Hoiberg will open the door to a level of recruit that we haven't had access to recently. I think his presence and people skills will likely make it easier for TJ to recruit guys to play for Fred. Not to mention Fred's own abilities.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Iowa made the safe, relatively uninspired move. Who knows, it may pay off for them. ISU made a bold move that has more upside, but more risk. I'll take the risk/reward.

Incidently, I accidently heard Matt last night on the way home, and he is choosing his words VERY carefully now.

Gizmo

Mar 11, 2006
Urbandale
They talked a lot about the hole in Fred's resume (coaching experience), which can be addressed with an experienced assistant. We have nearly 20 years of knowledge re Fred. He is not a black box that we can't see inside. Iowa on the other hand only has about 3 weeks of knowledge about Fran. He has a fairly long and good record, but we don't know what lurks below the surface. I'd rather be in our position. Fran is just another new hired gun. Who knows how that will work out. The risk is fairly equal for both programs at this point.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
On the surface, I would have to say that FM is a better/safer hire. But so was Lickliter. I don't think it's even a reasonable question at this point. The question needs to be answered in stages.

Stage 1 - ISU has kept all their signees and may have a transfer return. In fact, ISU has another signee that was being recruited by Indiana, Maryland, Missouri and Georgetown.
Iowa lost 2 recruits and a player AFTER" the new coach came on board

Stage 2 - ???

Stage 3 - Profit!

Sorry, too good to pass up.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Fred was a much better hire for ISU. After all the Hawks have around $3 million in getting rid of Lick and searching for Fran. ISU got $800,000 to get rid of GMac and it cost JP a tank of gas to drive to Minneapolis to ink Fred. Who is the better coach and who will turn things around the quickest is still up for debate until the teams start playing. Unless Fran finds some real studs hiding somewhere in the last recruiting period, ISU will certainly be in better shape for next year.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Agreed cheng.

So does Lickliter and somewhat, ............. Greg.

See, here is where FM is FAR different from GMAC or Lickliter. GMAC and Lickliter both had mostly ALL of their coaching success at one school, running one program, and not venturing from that program/system nearly at all. They had no experience with a different level of talent and no experience coaching in different leagues. I am always leery of hiring a head coach from a mid major if that mid major coach had all of his success at one school/system. FM, is entirely different. He was the head coach at three different programs in three different conferences. Further, he took each of those schools to the NCAA tourney at least one time (Sienna, North Carolina Greensboro, and Lehigh). On top of his extensive head coaching experience, he was also an assistant coach at Notre Dame, where he recruited some of the top talent in the midwest.

Fred Hoiberg, on the other hand, has ZERO head coaching experience, ZERO experience recruiting, and ZERO experience hiring assistant coaching staffs.

Hoiberg may work out at ISU....just like FM may work out at Iowa. No one knows, and no one will know for another 4-5 years. One thing we can say for certain: when looking at the two resumes, FM was obviously the stronger hire as a head coach. He has more experience in literally every category at the college level. I'm not saying that I think Hoiberg was a horrible hire....I think he will rally the ISU fan base, and I think that is DEFINITELY worth something if you are Jamie Pollard. However, if we are comparing resumes, there is no doubt that FM has a better resume than Hoiberg.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
What I would like to know what Hawk fan's would think if the Hawk's would have hired somebody like BJ Armstrong or Bobby Hansen, I have a feeling they would have have been pretty happy if either one of those would have happened.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
See, here is where FM is FAR different from GMAC or Lickliter. GMAC and Lickliter both had mostly ALL of their coaching success at one school, running one program, and not venturing from that program/system nearly at all. They had no experience with a different level of talent and no experience coaching in different leagues. I am always leery of hiring a head coach from a mid major if that mid major coach had all of his success at one school/system. FM, is entirely different. He was the head coach at three different programs in three different conferences. Further, he took each of those schools to the NCAA tourney at least one time (Sienna, North Carolina Greensboro, and Lehigh). On top of his extensive head coaching experience, he was also an assistant coach at Notre Dame, where he recruited some of the top talent in the midwest.

Fred Hoiberg, on the other hand, has ZERO head coaching experience, ZERO experience recruiting, and ZERO experience hiring assistant coaching staffs.

Hoiberg may work out at ISU....just like FM may work out at Iowa. No one knows, and no one will know for another 4-5 years. One thing we can say for certain: when looking at the two resumes, FM was obviously the stronger hire as a head coach. He has more experience in literally every category at the college level. I'm not saying that I think Hoiberg was a horrible hire....I think he will rally the ISU fan base, and I think that is DEFINITELY worth something if you are Jamie Pollard. However, if we are comparing resumes, there is no doubt that FM has a better resume than Hoiberg.

And the UI coach has absolutely zero experience in major conference coaching. Until he proves he can coach in a major conference, that low-level experience is meaningless. If he was such a good candidate, why did he have to go through three low level schools before he finally got a chance at a larger school? Why, when he finally did get a chance at a big school, was it a poor basketball school like Iowa? Maybe he'll work out and be like Tim Floyd coming from New Orleans, but there are more examples of mid-major coaches like Mac and Lichlitter stinking it up than there are of Floyd success stories.

As far as Matt goes, I think he's proven himself an idiot so who cares what he says or thinks? There are risks with the Hoiberg hire, but would fans have been jumping for joy with the guy Iowa hired? No, they wouldn't. Hoiberg's been successful at every step of his basketball career. I'm not willing to bet that this will be his first failure, though it could be. I think the people bagging on the hire would be negative regardless of who was hired.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
What I would like to know what Hawk fan's would think if the Hawk's would have hired somebody like BJ Armstrong or Bobby Hansen, I have a feeling they would have have been pretty happy if either one of those would have happened.

I would have been very upset if Iowa had hired BJ Armstrong....FWIW. I love BJ Armstrong as a player, but he has no proven experience as a coach....neither has Hoiberg.

Both iconic players for each program, both completely untested as head coaches.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
And the UI coach has absolutely zero experience in major conference coaching. Until he proves he can coach in a major conference, that low-level experience is meaningless. If he was such a good candidate, why did he have to go through three low level schools before he finally got a chance at a larger school? Why, when he finally did get a chance at a big school, was it a poor basketball school like Iowa? Maybe he'll work out and be like Tim Floyd coming from New Orleans, but there are more examples of mid-major coaches like Mac and Lichlitter stinking it up than there are of Floyd success stories.

Again, find me another mid major coach who took THREE different teams to the NCAA tournament then went on to a major program and failed....I've seriously never looked, but if you can find an example of a coach who failed at a major program after taking three different teams to the dance at a smaller school, I'll take a major step back on my defense of McCaffery.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
On a side note, Matt interviews like old people ****. He doesn't even really listen to what the other person is saying.

Example....

The person being interviewed finishes a long and insightful answer to one of Matt's questions.

Matt - "Hmmm"

Then goes on to his next scripted question that has no relation to the previous.

The dude really just likes to hear himself talk.

During the whole which was a better hire segment he essentially contradicted himself like 8 times.

Reactions: rdubbs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron