College Football Map

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The more I look at these the more I think that Colorado to the Pac-10 and Texas to the Big10 just don't make sense. Boise St to hte Pac-10 makes much more sense geographically.

isunomad

Aug 31, 2007
Des Moines, IA
which non-BCS conference are we closest to...for us to join when the poop hits the fan?

I think everyone is being too apocalyptic about the Big 12 dissolving. I just don't see Mizzou joining the Big Ten. But I could easily see Colorado (and Utah) joining the Pac 10. CU almost joined the Pac 10 In 1994. The Colorado Regents voted 5-4 to join the newly formed Big 12 instead. . . If and when CU leaves, the best choice for replacement is BYU. Very good football and men's basketball programs. Large school with a huge national following.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Looking at the first map, it looks like Arkansas, Mississippi, Miss State and LSU make the most sense geographically and they're already BCS conference schools. There are other schools that are closer, but all would be forced to fill the conference from the bottom up. It really blows that there isn't a single school north or due west of ISU to consider. I really dislike being the frontier outpost of the conference, especially since we're pretty irrelevant in the revenue sports right now.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
The more I look at these the more I think that Colorado to the Pac-10 and Texas to the Big10 just don't make sense. Boise St to hte Pac-10 makes much more sense geographically.

Miami and Boston College are both in the ACC and they aren't exactly near to each other. Or how about La Tech and Idaho (both in the WAC)?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Looking at this map makes me think more and more that the Big12 needs to strike first. We can expand to 14 and bring in BYU or Utah, Louisville or Memphis. All four would bring something to the table as far as TVs and respectable athletic programs.

Arkansas would be great, but I doubt they would leave the SEC.

Jul 9, 2008
Saint Louis
Does anybody else find it weird that Missouri has only one FBS football program, but has a larger population than any surrounding state other than Illinois? Missouri is more than double the size of Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and Arkansas, who all have multiple teams.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I think the Big XII needs to expand to 16 to have the leverage to start a TV network. They need big population states to get this done, so I would shoot for Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, South Florida and either Central Florida or Syracuse.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I think the Big XII needs to expand to 16 to have the leverage to start a TV network. They need big population states to get this done, so I would shoot for Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, South Florida and either Central Florida or Syracuse.

You serious? Hell, why don't we just make a "super conference" starting with Washington, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Syracuse and Miami.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Looking at this map makes me think more and more that the Big12 needs to strike first. We can expand to 14 and bring in BYU or Utah, Louisville or Memphis. All four would bring something to the table as far as TVs and respectable athletic programs.

Arkansas would be great, but I doubt they would leave the SEC.

Memphis and Louisville are historically Basketball schools, they would be interesting additions in basketball. BYU and Utah have been strong football in the past 4-5 yrs (yes I know that BYU won a NT back in the glory days and Utah has been strong since Urban Meyer) but only BYU brings tv sets and that is only for football.

Why can't everything just stay the way that it is?

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Does anybody else find it weird that Missouri has only one FBS football program, but has a larger population than any surrounding state other than Illinois? Missouri is more than double the size of Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and Arkansas, who all have multiple teams.

Hillbilly state = Low enrollment cannot pass college entrance exams :biggrin:

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

Nebraska has multiple teams?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
You serious? Hell, why don't we just make a "super conference" starting with Washington, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Syracuse and Miami.

You might need to think outside the box. Is it any more geographically questionable for Texas to join the Big X then it is for the Big XII to expand to the large population states to the east?

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA

This would result in ISU NEVER winning a divisional title and falling from relevance.

Last edited: