***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Would hope Wesneski has earned a roster spot. I would think the main reason to send him down would be to keep his arm strong enough to throw 100 pitches if needed in Chicago at some point.

Based on performance, my preference would be to send down or DFA in the following order: Brewer, Thompson, Lovelady. Works out pretty well with Steele, Hendricks, Smyly and Wicks all on IL. The trade market should start getting active- the Cubs could afford to trade Wesneski, Wicks if they can get a solid closer in return.
To clarify i said, Brown goes to the bullpen now that Steele is back. Hendricks returning would likely bump Wesneski out of the rotation not necessarily off the roster.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
On the optimistic side, Steele, Wicks, and Hendricks could all be back this week. This would slide Assad, Brown, and Wesneski to the bullpen.

Then in July you get Horton and Merryweather.

That’s 5 of 8 replacements alone. My guess is Neris, MLJ, and Almonte would be protected.

But assuming health, there are blue skies ahead.

Why would you move Assad to the bullpen? For Hendricks?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Why would you move Assad to the bullpen? For Hendricks?
I wouldn’t move Assad to the bullpen for Hendricks.

Hendricks will never be a bullpen guy. My money would be the organization would cut him before having him move to the bullpen

With 3 starters coming back soon, my guess is Assad is the 3rd man out

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I wouldn’t move Assad to the bullpen for Hendricks.

Hendricks will never be a bullpen guy. My money would be the organization would cut him before having him move to the bullpen

With 3 starters coming back soon, my guess is Assad is the 3rd man out
That's a hard sell, lowest ERA in all of baseball over nearly the last year.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Assad has absolutely earned the right to have a rotation spot over anyone not named Justin Steele. They show the graphic every game he pitches but the dude has the lowest ERA in the majors in the last year. He’s gone 5+ innings in every start but one (4.2) and has yet to give up even three earned runs in a start yet. Not sure what more you could ask for from the 4/5 spot in your rotation.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Steele, Shota, Taillon, Assad, Hendricks/Wicks is the rotation I’d go with once everyone is back and hopefully healthy. I love Wesneski and Brown but adding those two to the bullpen should help a ton. I don’t see Neris getting taken out of the closer spot until it’s completely obvious he can’t do it. I’d love to see Brown there but I don’t know how ready he is to handle that.

I do think a bullpen of Wesneski, Brown, Almonte, Palencia, Leiter, Neris, and Alzolay if he can ever get back to what he was, is all of a sudden a strength and not butthole puckering like it is now.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hopefully Palencia has figured something out and he's a consistent late inning option. Palencia, Leiter, Almonte and Brown give us real options.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Steele, Shota, Taillon, Assad, Hendricks/Wicks is the rotation I’d go with once everyone is back and hopefully healthy. I love Wesneski and Brown but adding those two to the bullpen should help a ton. I don’t see Neris getting taken out of the closer spot until it’s completely obvious he can’t do it. I’d love to see Brown there but I don’t know how ready he is to handle that.

I do think a bullpen of Wesneski, Brown, Almonte, Palencia, Leiter, Neris, and Alzolay if he can ever get back to what he was, is all of a sudden a strength and not butthole puckering like it is now.
They'll go with Hendricks even though it's not the right move. Wesneski has earned the spot. Hopefully whom ever they go is just keeping it warm for Horton.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
What would be the point of trading a starter for a starter?
For the Cubs a proven starter with electric stuff. For the Marlins a young guy with ML success with lots of years of control. Plus it's always about the dollars for the Marlins. Wicks would only be the centerpiece. They'll want more.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Wicks, Triantos, Arias, Canario, Lottery Ticket and Mervis (throw in, no value) for Luzardo and Scott.

I'd also be willing to talk about Shaw if need be.

PCA, Horton, Rojas, Caissie are absolute no's.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wicks, Triantos, Arias, Canario, Lottery Ticket and Mervis (throw in, no value) for Luzardo and Scott.

I'd also be willing to talk about Shaw if need be.

PCA, Horton, Rojas, Caissie are absolute no's.

There's no way they will trade Shaw at this point. And (at least to me) the players you mentioned seems like it makes for a very imbalanced trade (not in the Cubs' favor).

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Only way I would want Luzardo at this point is if it’s relatively cheap (which it won’t be). There is enough starting pitching in the organization to not give up a ton for a good, not great addition. I’d be ok with them parting ways with some talent for bullpen help though

Reactions: HoustonClone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
While the short term gains for moving Brown, Wesneski, and possibly Assad to the bullpen may help do the Cubs see any of them as a possible longer term solution in the rotation? Almost need to send Brown or Wesneski back to Iowa to continue getting innings as a starter so they are ready for a double header call up or another injury. Right now only Steele, Shota, and Tailon are safe in the rotation. Hendricks will get another shot just because of what he means to the organization but if he can't get it together they need to figure out if it is time to let him go or can he pitch effectively out of the bullpen with his sub 90 fastball. Assad hasn't done anything wrong as a starter and also been very good in relief too so will need to commit to his role soon too. Not a big enough sample size on Wicks yet to say he should keep his spot in the rotation when he's back. Having multiple young arms with club control for awhile is a nice problem to have. The evaluation now is which guys need to stay stretched out and continue to develop as a starter which means they may need to do that in Iowa for a bit and which guys can be effective out of the bullpen for now.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Dream scenario 2024 playoff rotation
Steele
Imanaga
Taillon
Horton

Long relief options
Assad
Wesneski

Wicks gets dealt for a top closer with multiple years of control.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Am I missing something with those trade ideas? Lazurdo is injured and has an ERA approaching 7 in 5 starts. His career best in wins is 10.

We need bullpen help not bad starting pitching. There's no way I'd give up Wicks or Shaw in that deal.