Best dunks in ISU history

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
We haven't done this for a while, but dunking topics seem to be all over the web...

I'll start with a few in no particular order:

Hoiberg "over" Acie Earl
Grayer absolutely posterizing an NC State player in the NCAA Tourney 3rd round in 1986
Barry Stevens with the left hand tomahawk on the fast break (Missouri?)
Fizer over Mihm
Gary Thompkins against Michigan in 86 to seal the win (dunk wasn't fabulous but I'm more putting it in here for the victory sealing aspect)
Clark over Aldrich (and the virginia play as a whole, and Minnesota putback)
Gilstrap over Aldrich
Cato's drive to the rim against Cincinatti in the 97 NCAA Tourney

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch...

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
You have the good ones I remember there.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Ally-oop from Halloway to Cato vs. Iowa @ Iowa City.....(no look)

Oh man, that one freaking rocked- December '95 -'96 (season)

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Is there any way we can get links to these? I know which ones you are talking about but I'd love to relive it.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Fizer over Mihm is the most iconic in my mind.

I'll never forget it. That play sums up the Cyclone style of play back in the late 90's/early 00's. Tough, physical, and athlectic.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I'd have to scour youtube some...and that doesn't fly at work (blocked). Some of them probably aren't even on there though...

I think I have most of them in DVD form one way or another and if we can't find them online could try to get them uploaded to share...I would need some tech support though.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
The discussion begins and ends with Fizer over Mihm.

Throw some Rashon Clark in for good measure...

That's a fair thought, but you reeaaaaaaalllllyyyy need to see the Grayer dunk.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Fizer over Mihm was especially good simply because they were two of the best players in the country - and that cemented Fizer's claim to POY in the Big XII.

And I agree with delt4cy. That dunk was pure attitude.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
That's a fair thought, but you reeaaaaaaalllllyyyy need to see the Grayer dunk.

Yes I take you haven't seen it. I think the Grayer dunk was better, and I don't think it was against NCST. It was stunning. It came out of nowhere. Color commentator Eric Heft has mentioned that of all the ISU dunks he's seen, that one is the most memorable, and I would agree. Fizer is probably second, although the dunk over Acie was probably even better because I think Hoiberg was just a freshman.

Finally, I think it was Elmer not GT that dunked it on the inbounds.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Yes I take you haven't seen it. I think the Grayer dunk was better, and I don't think it was against NCST. It was stunning. It came out of nowhere. Color commentator Eric Heft has mentioned that of all the ISU dunks he's seen, that one is the most memorable, and I would agree. Fizer is probably second, although the dunk over Acie was probably even better because I think Hoiberg was just a freshman.

I was fairly certain it was Kemper in that 86 season for the NCAA? Was it at the Big 8 tournament?

If we're talking about the same one, it was at the right end of the floor (on tv) and from the bottom of the screen Grayer drove baseline and just kept climbing up and over the guy that tried to take the charge (blocking was called).

Good call on Elmer.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

Yes, it was Elmer Robinson. However Thompkins did have one of the very few dunks of his career (he was more a layup guy like Tinsley) in that game right before halftime.

I'd have to say Grayer over (I think) Manning was pretty awesome. He did a spin move and was instantly eye level with the rim and CRAMMED IT.

Also, does anyone remember when ISU went up to Michigan State and lost, I think, 86-85? Grayer had a knee brace on and he was hurt so bad he could barely walk but he put up about 40 that night, including a reverse dunk on a fast break. I might have that on tape somewhere, I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I was fairly certain it was Kemper in that 86 season for the NCAA? Was it at the Big 8 tournament?

If we're talking about the same one, it was at the right end of the floor (on tv) and from the bottom of the screen Grayer drove baseline and just kept climbing up and over the guy that tried to take the charge (blocking was called).

Which is why I've never seen the Grayer dunk. I was in diapers when he played here.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
My personal favorite was stinson stealing it spinning passing to blalock, who behind the backed it to clark...

Not a dunk, but against texas when Blalock faked the behind the back and totally fooled the two texas players for a lay up, is one of my favorite cyclone plays ever. Then again Blalock was my favorite cyclone!

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

How could we possibly not be talking about the same one. :wink:
'The Grayer Dunk' only means one thing. He had a pretty sweet reverse jam against U.S. International, but I'm not talking about that one.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
The discussion begins and ends with Fizer over Mihm.

Throw some Rashon Clark in for good measure...

Not taking anything away from the dunk, but anyone who says this is just not old enough to remember the Mayor over Acie Earl or the Grayer dunk.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
How could we possibly not be talking about the same one. :wink:
'The Grayer Dunk' only means one thing. He had a pretty sweet reverse jam against U.S. International, but I'm not talking about that one.

Well, as I pointed out, I was a pretty young Cyclone in 1986. So, it isn't like I have seen ALL of Grayer's dunks...just some of them.

S

st8

My personal favorite was stinson stealing it spinning passing to blalock, who behind the backed it to clark...

Not a dunk, but against texas when Blalock faked the behind the back and totally fooled the two texas players for a lay up, is one of my favorite cyclone plays ever. Then again Blalock was my favorite cyclone!

the blalock behind the back to himself was one of the sweetest plays I can remember! as was the stinson to blalock to clark.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXMMYykgQC0&feature=related]YouTube - Will Blalock behind the back to himself[/ame]

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron