MLB: Cubs Interested In Ben Sheets?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines
he's asking for 8-10 million a year. the cubs payroll is at 125 million now, and all of the arbitration eligible players are going to get some hefty raises (marmol, theriot). ricketts already said they want to stay at the 140 million dollar mark, so there is no way they are going to sign sheets. they already have 5 guys battling for the number 5 spot in the rotation, and another spot in the first month while lilly rehabs. the only signing i see that is left is another bullpen guy to set up marmol, or take over for him if he struggles.

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines
they have their reasons to be quiet this offseason. after a 97 win 2008 season, they went on the market and made all sorts of moves, pretty much all of which didn't pan out. they are just wanting the stars of 08 to come back in 2010. soto, soriano, fontenot, and a healthy ramirez will go a long way to securing another central division crown this season. the brass just wants to see if that will happen this year. if not, the offseason after 2010 could be ugly...and busy.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I think the cubs are interested in an incentive laced deal for Sheets with a base of 5 million or so.

The cubs have had some interested in Orlando Hudson but I don't see them spending money on him. I would think a trade for Luis Castillo is more likely.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Here's the full Tribune article from today.

Chicago Cubs have eyes on free-agent pitcher Ben Sheets - chicagotribune.com

as the article and the blurb above state, the Cubs believe they can land him with an incentive laden deal with a base below what he is purportedly asking. The article also states that the Cubs are a preferred destination for Ben.

If the Cubs could get him for a base salary well below market value it would be an awesome deal for the Cubs.
If Sheets meets the incentives and wins big for the Cubs, they should be happy to pay him the bonuses.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
This is a classic "if you can't beat em, join em" deal... but for the Cubs, not Ben Sheets. HE USED TO SLAY US AT WRIGLEY... I HATED seeing him come in to pitch against us because it was sure he was going 8 innings and allowing 2 or fewer runs...

I say sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal.. INCENTIVE based... maxing out at about 6-7.5 mil a year...

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
This is a classic "if you can't beat em, join em" deal... but for the Cubs, not Ben Sheets. HE USED TO SLAY US AT WRIGLEY... I HATED seeing him come in to pitch against us because it was sure he was going 8 innings and allowing 2 or fewer runs...

I say sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal.. INCENTIVE based... maxing out at about 6-7.5 mil a year...

Check your stats. Here is what Sheets did to us in 2007 & 2008.

GS - 9
ERA - 4.71
Record - 3-3
Hits - 47
Runs - 25
IP - 44

Not dominate by any means.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

GS - 9
ERA - 4.71
Record - 3-3
Hits - 47
Runs - 25
IP - 44

Not dominant, but I always had a bad feeling when Sheets would ever start against us.

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines

GS - 9
ERA - 4.71
Record - 3-3
Hits - 47
Runs - 25
IP - 44

that's what i was thinking. thanks for the stats. i seem to remember a game in milwaukee in which we rattled him, and he left after only a couple innings. i just don't see much advantage to signing him, especially if his pitch speed is down, and the balls just flatline on the way to the plate, which happens to a lot of guys coming back from that surgery.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Sheets would definitely be worth the gamble for the Cubs. They need some SERIOUS help in their rotation. If they go into the season as is they could struggle to stay in the Top 3 in the Central.