Some great quotes

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Figured we all needed some uplifting Hilton reading...

"I played against guys throughout my career who had played against Kansas, or Kansas State, or wherever, and Missouri, and they'd all say, 'Man, when we went into Hilton, we knew it was going to be tough to win.' We knew that and we had a great psychological advantage over a lot of teams." Jeff Hornacek

"We couldn't hear anybody's name on the introductions. It was so loud, that we just kind of had to point...they'd point to a guy and he'd go out there. That's how loud it was the whole game." Jim Hallihan talking about the Lafester game vs. Iowa

"They made the crowds at Michigan State and Michigan look like Mary Poppins. It was the best road crowd I've observed in 10 years." George Raveling

"My legs were shaking up and down because the court was rocking." Fred Hoiberg

"We sold it out 10 straight years, I think. It was terrific. The fans were unbelievable. Really and truthfully...you hear that, but I don't think anywhere...I don't care where you go or where you've been in basketball, any arena...you had better fans than we had here. Boy, they were awesome." Johnny Orr

"How could you not remember when we're warming up, and [Johnny Orr] comes out to the Here's Johnny song. I could turn around and out of the corner of my eye see him coming out, the fans getting into it, and I could see the other team stop their layup line. They would all stop and look like what the heck is going on? I think that was a big part of distracting the other team. They're going, 'Oh, we're in for a tough night.'" Jeff Hornacek

"The fans that were here were part of the basketball. And the players were a part of the fans." Jeff Grayer

"When you play in this building, the crowd wills you to victory." Fred Hoiberg

"You still get goosebumps down your body just about that feeling to play in Hilton Coliseum." Jake Sullivan

"I've never found a crowd quite as supportive as the Hilton Coliseum crowd." Paul Shirley

"I always thought that it was a place that you had a chance to win a national championship, and there's not a lot of places like that around the country. The common formula is the crowd. The Hilton Magic...I'd heard about it, but until I experienced it...you really have to be at a game at Hilton to experience just how loud it gets and just what a home-court advantage it is. And when you win, you get players. So I always thought, and still do think, that it's one of the top jobs in the country." Larry Eustachy

Last edited:

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
"I just love how everyone sits and does nothing at Hilton" -Craig Brackins :biglaugh:

This is not a real quote :)

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
The magic has gone poof! It's gone and won't be back until this team finds a way to play with some passion and emotion that the crowd can play off of.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It starts with the coach. He needs to match the fire of the other Big 12 coaches. Coaches are suppose to fire their team up more than this. This is college and not the pros. We need passion.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
We need some passionate play again. The problem is something great happens and then the other team marches right back again after a little 3 minutes of fun.

Look at yesterday..maybe 6 minutes left I believe we got back a 7 point lead. Then we led UNI march right back down after our little run and get something.

Defense opens up the offensive game. We saw it in the earlier games to the more inferior opponents.

If you're a fan, you need something to get excited about unless you get everyone drunk.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Iowa-State-University-Traditions-Spirit-Hilton-Magic-ISU-T-OSP-00007xlg.jpg

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
The magic has gone poof! It's gone and won't be back until this team finds a way to play with some passion and emotion that the crowd can play off of.

I agree it's gone, but perhaps the fannies in the stands can help... esp. when ISU is on defense... as the mayor said....

"When you play in this building, the crowd wills you to victory." Fred Hoiberg

I recall that in many threads reminiscing about Hilton magic, the most recent story of it willing a team to win was the Texas game in '04 (when a 'horn missed free throws b/c the place was so loud). Has it gotten that loud ever since? why not? opponents have shot free throws at critical times in hilton. Are the students these days aware of what Hilton magic once was? Freshman this year at ISU were 3 (!) when Hoiberg last suited up in the cardinal and gold, and were 8 when Fizer and Co. pillaged the Big 12.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I love Hilton and it is an amazing place to go to watch a game... but sometimes the "how good it used to be" talk just reminds me of Iowa fans talking about Rose Bowl days.

Reactions: dustinal

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
The fans at Hilton aren't idoits. They can tell when team is giving it everything in the tank. It is then and only then that that place will be rocking. If the effort on the floor is just an act, the crowd won't buy it. The same goes for the coach. This is a state of work ethic. People work hard for a living and they can tell when players are playing hard for the fans. When the players deliver something palatable, the crowd will be there.

Reactions: cyco2000

cyclonewoes

Dec 12, 2008
Ankeny
I think we need Mac to get a "T" at a home game, when Johnny, Tim, and Larry got a "T" that really got the fans into it, made the games quite entertaining. Basketball is emotional and most players react to their coaching getting into it , just to prove my point watch PR on the sideline...

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
The fans at Hilton aren't idoits. They can tell when team is giving it everything in the tank. It is then and only then that that place will be rocking. If the effort on the floor is just an act, the crowd won't buy it. The same goes for the coach. This is a state of work ethic. People work hard for a living and they can tell when players are playing hard for the fans. When the players deliver something palatable, the crowd will be there.

This is a profound post. I really think you are on to something here. I hate it when people say hilton magic is dead. Hate it. It's not dead. The teams of the past fed off the crowd and the crowd fed off the team. The teams we have had in the last few years have not done their part...as sad as it is to type that. If this team plays with the heart those past team played with you will see hilton magic come to life like Lazerous coming back from the dead.