Game Balls, Surprises, and After Practice Sprints

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Game Balls:

Offense
A-Rob - Nice game. Ran like he stole the ball every play. I overlook the fumble because it was a hit that will knock the ball out 99% of the time.

Defense
David Sims - A bright spot.

Surprises:

Both lines did better than I anticipated.

Wind Sprints:

Offense
AA - Forget the game and move on.

Defense
Kennard Banks - Getting picked on by the Hogeyes is not a good sign for some of the offenses and QB's you will be facing in the Big 12.

Jesse Smith - Did you play?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Wind Sprints: Offensive coaching staff for not adjusting to what the defense was giving. Robinson averaged over 5 yds/carry and only got 19 touches out of over 60 offensive plays. In the meantime, the passing game averaged a whopping 3.6 yds/attempt on 31 attempts, not to mention the 5 INTs. AA did get some nice runs out of the passing game, but still...

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Really calling out Jesse Smith when he's the one Cyclone name we hear called all day...

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Defense surpassed my expectations today with the exception of Banks. It was a miracle to only be down 14-3 at half with Arnaud's performance.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
I thought Jesse Smith played well. He was moving pretty well in pass coverage, and broke up a couple passes to Moaki.

Jesse Smith, or anyone else on the Defense, was not the reason for the outcome today.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
There were at least a couple times in the first half where Banks was beaten but Stanzi overthrew the receivers, We could have been down even more earlier

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
There were at least a couple times in the first half where Banks was beaten but Stanzi overthrew the receivers, We could have been down even more earlier

Yes, but on that same token, if Arnaud didn't have one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a QB, things would've been quite a bit different as well.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
Yes, but on that same token, if Arnaud didn't have one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a QB, things would've been quite a bit different as well.

But in most cases, Arnaud wasn't missing receivers, they just weren't open to begin with but he insisted on throwing it to them.

Big difference there.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
But in most cases, Arnaud wasn't missing receivers, they just weren't open to begin with but he insisted on throwing it to them.

Big difference there.

He looked to be throwing to places they were suppose to be in a perfect game but they were getting bumped and covered and not at the place they should be. He didnt adjust to the game when throwing the crossing routes. Iowa did a good job at getting physical with out WRs and taking away the passing lanes. AA forgot it wasnt practice and things that happen in games to WRs happened.

RossHallHero

Jul 8, 2009
He looked to be throwing to places they were suppose to be in a perfect game but they were getting bumped and covered and not at the place they should be. He didnt adjust to the game when throwing the crossing routes. Iowa did a good job at getting physical with out WRs and taking away the passing lanes. AA forgot it wasnt practice and things that happen in games to WRs happened.

I agree with most of that, but I wasn't thrilled w/our receivers in a couple instances where they didn't seem to be fighting enough, but it's probably just the beer talking.

lovetheclones

Aug 4, 2008
Enginerd,

How are you calling out Jesse Smith asking if he played? Have you lost your dang mind? Sorry to break your heart, but we would have no D if Jesse was not on the field.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hard for the defense when they were on the field a lot yesterday. I thought they played well in the first half. Smith was making a lot of plays. As warm as it got, and with the D on the field a lot, you would have to think that we just worn down.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Special recognition to Lyle and Garrin on the weak side of the D. NDSU blocked them well and just took them out. Iowa tried the same and they both rose to the challenge and played great. The Hawks gave up on the weak side early.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Banks is hurt so I'll go easy on him. But that penalty was very, very stupid and a killer.

As far as Jesse Smith - what gives? Everyone expected Moo-yaki to have a huge day, as did I. He didn't. A lot of that credit goes to the linebackers and I saw Jesse on him more than just the one play he broke up.

Help Support Us

Become a patron