To: AD Pollard

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i personally think hearing wayne bolt (i think) scream "GET OFF THE FIELD" was quite entertaining. AND did you see the first play...a reverse.

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
Mr. Pollard -- You lost a huge opportunity today.

This afternoon, at the annual spring game, with a record(?) crowd in attendance, our football team put on the WORST performance I've ever been witness to in this spring event.

The anticipation could not have been higher. With a new coaching staff in place, with our marketing staff out trying to drum up support for this program and the "promise of things to come", we couldn't have laid a bigger egg.

This is, what, you're 2nd spring ISU game? It's my 34th. I've been here way longer that you, and I'll be here way longer when you're gone. I can't remember when I've been more disappointed in this event.

Remember when Coach Mac said that he didn't like to play late night games? You said, "Hey Mac, You coach the games - I'll handle the marketing" You were right! So now, you should have said, "Hey Coach Chiz -- I know you just want to have an ordinary practice -- but I've got to "sell this program and sell future hope" to our fan base. ISU put on a terrible show. The whole idea of a spring game, I would think, would be to build up anticipation and excitement for the coming fall. What a let-down. I’M going to be there in the fall, but how many people do you think walked away from our event today saying, "Well, if that's all there's going to be to it, I'm not going to come again."?

Wow! You, me, ISU, all of us -- missed out BIG TIME on an excellent opportunity to wrap our arms around some more of those "fringe" fans that are needed to grow any university's fan base.

Regardless of how Gene wants to run his program/practices -- Right now, at this point in time, ISU needs to PROMOTE it's football program. And, if ANYONE should know, you're the one that should realize that!

Up to now, you've been ONE STEP AHEAD OF EVERYBODY ELSE!

But this spring game was a big SWING and a MISS! It was VERY disappointing!

What have you been trying to accomplish these past few months? Build up anticipation, and SELL SEASON TICKETS! Ask yourself -- "Did this spring game help further that goal?" Answer -- "No!"

Could it have been a kickoff to the summer ticket selling season? Yes! But not now!

Were you out in the parking lots 4-5 hours prior to this game? We were! We were looking forward to a new era! Something to hang our support onto. We toasted Coach Mac for 12 great years, and hoped that both you and Coach Chiz would stay around long enough for ISU to get to greater heights. We're ready to drink the kool-ade and hope for better days to come, but you know what - we're been down this road before. Hey - We didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday, by the way.

So far, you've been excellent at looking at a certain situation, trying a different approach, and saying, "OK, let's try something different and see what happens. If things turn out positive, great! If not, we'll do something different." Hopefully, in the case of the spring FB game, you and Gene will make some positive changes.

Please let me know how we can help with our mutual Cyclone marketing efforts.

Thanks.

I think the movie Billy Madison could sum up your post:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I'm with you man. I would have loved to see more back flips, guys jumping through RINGS OF FIRE, Wayne Bolt riding an elephant and the Offensive Line riverdancing. It pretty much sucked.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Didn't go to the game, but from what I've heard from those that did, with the all of the accompanying new era hype, I'd have to agree with most of what 454 had to say.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Spring practices are extremely important.... but you guys hit the nail on the head... the game really means nothing.

Its just a chance for us to drink beer, watch some free football, and get excited about the season.

Any word on today's attendance?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
If youre such a marketing genius, instead of bitchin and moanin about what you hated and how disappointed you were, what would you have done to make it that much better?!?!
What exactly were you expecting? Fireworks and strippers?!? Im all for those, but they wont win us football games come fall.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
We all know winning won't sell any tickets....

Very true.

Pollard is a marketing genius, but a bad product on the field will turn seats empty faster than drunken college kid getting "sick" all over himself.

Look at last season for proof.:no6xn: We set attendance records, for the UNI and Nebraska games, and the performance of the team caused people to stop going the games in droves.

It isn't like the weather doesn't get worse as the season goes on. If the team is winning, then people will brave the elements. If not, then JTS becomes a lonely place for the die hards like myself.

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com
Wow - so much written - with so little said. I, too, have been around the Clones for a long time. Quick recap

Mac - Spring game
Chizik - spring practice
Mac - HS teach fundamentals
Chizik - spring practice
Mac - constantly selling
Chizik - spring practice
Mac - best friend
Chizik - discipline
Mac - same ol, same ol
Chizik - something different (kind of like OUs spring game)

Down the road...

Mac - we won a half, but lost to Baylor, UConn, Kansas
Chizik - attitude and swagger = wins

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
To Whom it May Concern:
You rolled out on the wrong side this morning.
Sincerely,
Your Bed

I didn't make it to the game today, stupid final projects :angry6wn: . But I did fart at work right by a table of girls to get them to leave, and it worked. In their defense, on my way home later, I let one go in my car and started gagging.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Fireworks and strippers?!? Im all for those, but they wont win us football games come fall.

But God, shouldn't find out for sure. They may be that secret weapon to put us over the top.:yes4lo:

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Strippers worked in The Replacements....
cheerleaders.jpg

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Since we have now proclaimed today's gathering as totally meaningless, will JP change the name next year to ISU's "Final Spring Practice Get Togethor"?

We could have all of starters held out to cheer on the sidelines, have the second and third teamers just do walk throughs in shorts to avoid injury, and replay all of DMs favorite formations and calls to keep those Big 11 and Big 12 spies from really figuring us out too soon.

Hell, the coaches could just walk around the stands saying "nice sunny day isn't it?"

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I of course didn't get to see the practice but the pictures that 22 posted made it look like a fun day.

Then again I'm sure just about everyone had more fun today than I did. (I was stuck in a testing center for 4 hours, my head still hurts)

DareDevil

Nov 27, 2006
Muscatine
I find this quite funny. Let me explain... Pollard comes in as AD and does a complete house gutting, shake-up at ISU. At first many people don't buy into his system he has announced, they think it will not work. Here is the best part, the moment it does, Bam Pollard is a God we need to build a statue etc. Everyone now is on board the Pollard Bus, and now comes the spring game. Fans flock in and are all pumped up to see the new coach in a practice gameand not much happens. Well time to get off of the Pollard bus... I'm not sure what some people were expecting, but like some have already said I would rather wait until fall to surprise the crap out of our opponents with some great play work, and I'm happy to here of no injuries; unlike some other schools...

I guess what I'm trying to say is change is hard for some, but the moment it works they are all for it until it is no longer to there liking and then its back to we need a change... (and the cycle starts over)

*rant over, back to my little corner*